Tuesday, August 23, 2005

TRADING PLACES

Do you remember the movie Trading Places from the 80's? Gosh, it seems like only yesterday to me. This whole concept of trading places made me think of something. There are reality shows now called Trading Places....make over shows, with trading wardrobes, trading  MOM's, trading houses. I know there are people out in J-land who don't watch television, but you "get" the concept don't you?

Many years ago Doc and I were in Hawaii, enjoying a wonderful evening outside with soft Hawaian music playing in the background and the sun was setting, while the beautiful buffett was waiting for people at the convention. The lines to the food stations were long, after all, it was a well attended convention. So what was bothering me? I watched as people went through the buffet complaining to the people behind the scenes. The chef at the pasta station was cooking as fast he possible could, but apparently it wasn't fast enough for a few people. The others weren't able to put a few dishes out quite fast enough for others.

My dear friend and travel agent was in line with us and as we were approaching our most appetizing food, I complimented all who worked so hard for it's preperation. I thought of the people who had to work, when they would prefer being home with their families and how blessed we were to be there in paraidise, surrounded by beauty and people to actually wait on US! I thanked everybody who stood behind those tables and their eyes lit up. My eyes were blessed with beauty and the thoughfulness of others. Other people attending the convention were gracious also, but it was the handful of complainers that just could make or break your evening.

Which brings me to another observation. Doc and I teach a mental health class several times a year. The first class you will find people are nervous, questioning why they came and they think maybe things are getting better. Also the first class usually is very well attended with people dropping out after the first couple of classes. WE have also had people in the classes for the wrong reasons. Some peoplejust want to "observe" which is a no-no. (Go get your jolly's someplace else) Some people want to tell you where they sent their loved one to be "cured." Some people are professionals with loved ones who are mentally ill and are really looking to "drum up" some business.  Some people came in to tell us that they were ill and are now totally cured and want to inform us what needs to be done. (wrong again......this class isn't for you) But what has really struck me is this, in EVERY class we have had there are people who attend these sessions and then just drop out. I have figured out why. THEY aren't able to trade places. The can't put themselves in their loved ones shoes. Who knows why, maybe out of pride or arrogance or denial, but they refuse to think differently, if only for a few sessions. So, I would like to challenge a few of you.

IF you are a teacher........then be a student. and IF you are a doctor..........then be a patient   and IF you are a lawyer.........then be your client and IF you are a bussdriver....then be a rider......and IF you are a salesman......then be a buyer....and IF you are a homemaker...then be a volunteer    IF you are a painter..........then be your canvas   IF you are a parent...........then be a child ....and IF you are a employer.......then be your employee

Just try to think differently, if only for a moment. Think out of the box. You might just be surprised what you learn about others and about yourself.

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne
I like your challenge here to put yourself in someone else shoes.  If we all took a few minutes to think about what others might be going through, we might see the world in a much different, and I'd dare to guess, better light.  Good entry!
Sam

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister...I have always had great empathy for those in a different set of shoes than my own......E

Anonymous said...

What a great wakeup call.   Sometimes we forget what life's like "on the other side of the fence"....  Thanks Anne for reminding us.   ~Sie

Anonymous said...

I love this!   awesome entry!   and sometimes i wish people could have a moment of my blues so they'd truly understand...~kbear

Anonymous said...

I had to do that sort of thinking often when raising my child. A real eye-opener!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

WOW!  You are on a roll!!  GREAT ENTRY!!  I used to be one of those 'behind-the-scenes' slaves and it was so nice to get a smile or a compliment or even acknowledgement that I was a human being.  Now I'm a big tipper and I also tend to try to wipe up the table and stack my dishes before I leave.  You and I are in that rare category known as "good people". Love ya!

Russ

Anonymous said...

When I was working as a nurse, I had
my own first hand experience as a patient.
It helped me tremendously!  I felt like I
was a much more sympathetic, and
compassionate nurse.
Connie

Anonymous said...

A good reminder to all of us.

Anonymous said...

this is a wonderful and insightful post Dear Anne. judi

Anonymous said...

Oh Brava, Anne!  This is so true.  Stepping out of our own shoes for awhile is one of the most world expanding things a person can do.

Anonymous said...

I've taught psychology and social science classes at the community college and the most difficult part of the job was to get at least some of the students to put their biases and judgements aside, just for the class.  So many live in a black and white world where everything is exactly this way or that, and "that" is the wrong way.  It is inconceivable to some that other people, good and moral people, might think differently than they do. Great post.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

That's some "heady" stuff!! rich