Saturday, September 6, 2008

SEPTEMBER MORNING

HOW can I possibly be this old?  Dominick turned 13 today.  He got to spend the whole day with us. He goes to Dad's house tomorrow and then back to Mom's house.

Doesn't he look content?  Well he should. We just got back from dinner.  Now I remember what it was like when my own boys were this age and growing.  No matter how much you try, you can't fill them up!  I think for my 13th birthday I had fried chicken that my Mother actually made.

We took him to a new steak place that opened up here in Kansas City called, Sullivans. Our favorite waiters from another restaurant are now at Sullivans. The manager is named Sherry Joseph and she is a Texas jewel. She runs a tight ship and everything is perfect.

Our waiter tonight was James. I let him know that it was Dominick's 13th birthday and he promised Dom that they wouldn't sing or clap their hands or dance for him.  He did, however, have every waitress and female bartender and reception girls stop by our table and wish him a HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  Half way through this procession, Doc leans over and say's he's coming back next week and to tell them it's his birthday.  Somehow, I don't think HE will get the same reception........but if he did, he would be in heaven.  They all stopped by and not only wished him a HAPPY BIRTHDAY, but talked to him about becoming a teenager.  How cool was that?  The only advise I gave Dominick was to look at the girls in the eye when they were talking to him, because he is so shy, he would just look down.  So before the evening was up, he was quite good at eye contact and conversation.

So what does a teenage boy order and eat?  He started with a sprite and some hot bread andbutter. The JUMBO shrimp were more like prawns and he downed 4 or them and I am sure could have eaten 4 more.  (He passed on trying Doc's escargot.)  Then he and I split a Caesar salad, although I don't know if he remembers eating it because of all the beautiful girls talking to him.  Then came the giant Alaskan King Crab legs. They were already split and waiting for the hot butter and lemon. He asked to try my lobster tail and had a few bites of that too.  Oh gosh, I forgot to mention the mashed potatoes he had.  I think they brought him a few more sprites to wash it all down.  They sent over a big chocolate dessert which Doc and I had a bite of and Dominick enjoyed immensely. I looked at Doc and said, "OK, I'm full just watching him..........now take me home!"

Dominick was sitting in the dining room, using Doc's computer and Doc's Ipod.  I think he is content.  I don't know what he'll be having for breakfast, but I'm sleeping in.   Nite all! 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dom!   dinner sounds delicious   hope i have as good as one as you guys did for my birthday(just around the corner)   sweet dreams...hugz~kbear

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!  What a FEAST!!!!  I love crab, lobster, and even escargot!!!  Yes, he looks very content, and is truly a very handsome 'teen'.  Happy Birthday, Dominick!!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dominick!!! what a good looking young man!!!

what a special way to spend a birthday!!! so neat the wait staff took extra care to make sure Dominick had a great 13th birthday! the food sounded yummy!!!

betty

Anonymous said...

I remember having hollow legs like that........... If I put that much food in me now I'd explode!
Gaz ;-)

Anonymous said...

He is a very handsome young man. Sounds like a good birthday for him. Helen

Anonymous said...

Anne
What a great birthday dinner you two treated Dominick to!  I'm with Doc, going to fly there soon and announce to my waiter at Sullivans that I'm having my Thirteenth Birthday.  Wait, that won't work, I look like I'm in my fifties.  
Sigh!  
Sam

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne Dominick looks like a happy contented Teenager ~ and very handsome too ~ The meal you had sounded delicious ~ and how lovely that James and the other staff made such a fuss of him ~ With everything he ate I doubt he will need any breakfast :o) ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

sweet anne,
happy birthday to dom and what a good woman you are to advise him on such a seemingly small but very important matter!  it does make a huge difference if the man i am speaking with maintains eye contact.  and that dinner?  i was tasting it from just reading the scrumptiousness!  i hear ya, sleeping in rules on days like today.  in fact, i'm heading back to bed myself!  grins, debra

Anonymous said...

awwwww.... Happy Birthday Dom! My friend is all grown up!!!! It sounds like a great birthday celebration and a perfect way to honor a milestone. So glad you all could be together:)

Judi
http://judithheartsong.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Content is good. Girls chatting you up nonstop, BETTER.

Thank you so much(& Dom thanks you, I am sure) for not being one of those grandmas who takes the grandson to the Chinese(Ebola) Buffet because he eats too much elsewhere. I've heard that a lot.

Happy Birthday Dominick. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dominick! What a wonderful way to turn 13 in style. With an introduction on how to talk to beautiful woman and look them in the eye. It doesn't get any better than that. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Well, this entry leaves me a plethora of segues and puns, so I'll start with a restaurant named Sullvan's, with excellent seafood, a waiter named Jimmy (nee James), and excellent company, has to be a good start.

My son was much like Dominick at the same age, and I, too, made the error of introducing him to steak and lobster at that tender age. After that, he turned his nose up at the fast food restaurants for the more expensive ones. It took me damn near two years to break him of that habit.

Jimmy

P.S. - say hello to Neil Diamond for me

Anonymous said...

How wonderful you got to spend this special time with him.  Officially now a teen ager there will be many changes coming his way for sure.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Yes, I recall my son Chris being able to polish off Lobster, shrimp, salad, 2 cokes,
or Sprite, and desert! LOL We foolishly introduced him to good sea food at a very
young age; made me feel good watching him eat. Decided to stop by and and say, hey, as soon as I received the alert your entry was ready. Thanks for sharing Dom's
special day with us! ~Diane~

Anonymous said...

Dominick is a beautiful, errr handsome, boy.  Thirteen!  Is he rotten yet?  When my grandsons turned 13 I a sked each of them if they were rotten yet, or if they needed lessons in "teendom".  Their mothers assured me that they'd figure it out on their own.  We have a grandaughter in Canada who is getting married next month.  Seems like only a week or two ago that she was wearing diapers and tons of blankets to ward of the cold witner air.  Happy Belated Birthday to Dominick - and an early one to  you!  Paulette

Anonymous said...

What a cutie!!  That's so neat that the server sent all the female employees over to speak to him!  I'm full just reading what he ate! lol
Lori

Anonymous said...

When my daughter was a skinny 13 year old she would have eaten everything you mentioned - by herself! I think he hasn't really started to eat yet, lol! Happy Birthday to Dominick, who looks exactly like a 13 year old grandson should :-)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Came your way via Lori at Dusty Pages.  Hope you have a great get together :o)