Sunday, September 4, 2005

Random Thoughts on a Sunday Afternoon

The Story is just beginning. People continue to be recused and people continue to die.........sadness has set in with all of the American people. The stories will continue, if fact they are just beginning. We all are helping in the ways we know how, yet we continue to feel helpless. I still can't and won't point the finger to government officials or corporations. All of the facts aren't in yet and they may never be.  I know that in times of disaster mistakes are made, but everybody is trying to do their best.

I want to do a SHOUT OUT......to the LA. policmen and women who stayed behind to help the refugees. I saw an African American policeman look into the camera the other night and BLAST the policeman and fireman who fled New Orleans when they took an oath to due their duty. He called them cowards.  This same policeman was on the last helicopter leaving the convention center.  He stated that the worst people in the Superdome were a group of men. They pushed women and children aside to get on the busses leaving. He said they made them go back. I am sure their lives were threatened over and over again. This group of dedicated men and women who were there did their very best. The mayor has ordered them out of there. They are being sent to Baton Rouge. The mayor wants them to go on to another city for some rest and also to get some counseling. He also said a couple of policemen had committed suicide.  GOD BLESS THEIR LIVES for the enormous responsibility they had and will continue to have.

Here's something that chaffed my a$$.......I only saw this once on television. Reporters were interviewing people from other coutries around the world about the huricane and the devastation. I heard from several people from several countries that it was too bad that the BIG Untied States couldn't even handle a storm. I wish they would show that again so more people could see them. It will only make us more determined to do what is necessary to help these people rebuild their lives and to rebuild the cities devastasted by this storm. I must admit that THIS southern woman let lose of the F-bomb after hearing those idiots. 

There are so many pictures and stories coming out of all the cities. Many will be etched in my brain until the day I die. One picture was on the AOL welcome screen. It was of a women in a wheelchair. She was being led to a helicopter or bus and walking with her was the granddaughter of her nurse, a little 4 yr. old girl. Her nurse was a 60 year old woman who said this lady had not had her adult diaper changed in 2 or 3 days. The woman in the wheelchair was 105 yrs. old. She had never complained once.

It bothers me that in this whole mess the race card is being played by a few leaders now. The fact of the matter is that the majority of the population of downtown New Orleans is black and poor. I do NOT know anybody that would not help a person in whatever way they could. I wouldn't ever decided who to help and who not to help based on the color of a persons skin. I can't believe those left behind to help or those brought in to help would do so either. Perhaps I live in a "shell" but that is how I feel.

Yesterday we had a celebration in the midst of tragedy. My grandson Dominick turned 10 and we were bound and determined to have a good few hours. His favorite restaurant is Joes Crab Shack and so that is where we had lunch. All of the grandkids were hungry and ate most of their food. We came back to our house to have the madatory ice cream and cake and sang in our best voices Happy Birthday To YOU!  He was blessed by having several gifts. He got a Harry Potter Book CD and a CD player, a football, and a whoopie cushion. The whoopee cushions are a tradition of our family. Give a kid a $3.00 whoopee cushion and he will be entertained for hours.

My son, who suffers from bipolar will be celebrating his 32 birthday on 9/11. Brace yourself......my other son's birthday is Pearl Harbor Day. Good grief Charlie Brown, how did this happen?

I want to take this time to tell all of you in J-land how much I appreciate you and your friendships. We are a community of caring people. I have opened my life to you and haven't regretted it one second.

And so the story continues........not mine, but the survivors stories. The Lords Prayer has never meant so much to me as it does now.  Protect us against evil. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You voiced what so many of us feel so eloquently Anne.  Thank you.  I have no doubt it's going to get worse, but in it too, will be some heroic stories of the human spirit.  Thank God because without those people, I would begin to lose faith in humanity.   Susan

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this    for some unknown reason i haven't kept up with the disaster in the Gulf coast other than AOL news and journals   it seems to be enough for me   i can't handle any more than this for now    i pray things get better soon for that area   i'm currently waiting to hear from Mart, another j-lander, who lives in Mobile, AL     i hope all is well with her .....Happy Birthday to everyone~kbear

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Anne.  I too feel anguish at the suffering of so many thousands of fellow Americans and feel helpless to be able to actually DO anything except small tokens here and there.  It feels like too little.  I am stunned when I realize that most of the home owners who lost land in the hurricane in New Orleans, and elsewhere, will not be covered by insurance.  Those who suffered wind damage, yes.  Water damage, in most cases no.  One has to have special flood coverage, which is very expensive and most people don't have it.  Can't you just visualize a city of new rooms without the houses to go under them?

Wouldn't it be great if we could have a massive "habitat for humanity" type operation spring up in which all those homeless who are able could help to build something for themselves from the rubble?

Thanks for the thoughtful and heartfelt post.  I still feel too rattled to be balanced and even handed and I don't want to "rant" just for the sake of ranting.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

The devastation is terrible... I will keep all the people effected in my prayers.  Your journal is great, very interesting indeed!
<3 Amanda

Anonymous said...

I don't watch television, so have seen nothing on the news, but I have been so saddened by what I have read on the AOL news and on CNN and the published pictures. I almost cried to read that Sri Lanka offered to help us. How sweet is that?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wow.  Powerful entry, buddy!  I disagree that people are playing the "race card" indiscriminantly.  Do you think FEMA or W would have been so slow to act if all those people had white faces?  Truth is that most of the corpses will be folks of color who had nowhere to go and no means to get out of the city.  I hope I'm not pissing you off, Anne....I'm a Liberal & we tend to rub the people the wrong way at times like this.  I love you, hon'.

Russ

Anonymous said...

hello Anne............ thoughtful post. My very best wishes to my dear friend Dominick on his birthday. love to all, judi

Anonymous said...

I love entries like this one, because they offer an opportunity to take a closer look at the hearts of some of my favorite people here. Very insightful, Anne, and much appreciated.


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Well done. rich

Anonymous said...

A lot of people are coming out of wood works to help out. I volunteered for the Red Cross and I am grateful they let me do what I can to alleviate the hurricane victims suffering. I cried and hugged a lot of people. These people are from all races and walks of life. The hurricane did not respect any cross section of the devastated areas' population. Everyone in those areas lost something...  

Anonymous said...

I want to take this time to tell all of you in J-land how much I appreciate you and your friendships. We are a community of caring people. I have opened my life to you and haven't regretted it one second.

I know I am not alone in saying that we love you too, Pea.  You have changed my life for the better, forever.

Well said, as usual.

xoxoxo,
andi