Saturday, June 17, 2006

SURGERY UPDATE

Here's the deal........Luke made it through surgery and came home yesterday afternoon.  They gave us pain medication for him and he slept most of the afternoon and evening. His appetite was good. He insisted upon having a little food when he got home and a little water, with a little more later on last night.

It was a good comfortable feeling having him home. Twice I had to go find him, he was so quiet. He first went into the front bedroom and flopped down of the queen bed and was OUT!  I picked up his paw and it flopped back down.  We went for a brief walk yesterday evening, around the block. He got to do his duties and was ready to return home.

He had a couple of neighbors stop by for ear rubs and best wishes for a speedy recovery. One even gave him a doggie massage. It almost put ME to sleep watching them.

I started to settle in to my comfortable chair and realized that what Doc got me for dinner (salad) was not agreeing with me.  To make a long nights story short; I was the one who was up all night sick while the big white hunter dog was sound asleep.

I have served myself water and toast today which  is plenty.  Luke has started scratching at his front incision so I got some vitamin E and baby oil and rubbed it into his front and back incisions.  He was so good and let me do this. He watched me eat my toast and I gave him a bite.

The Vet was pleased with the surgery and thinks that the lumps are benign but he is sending them off to the pathologist and the results will be back in a week to 10 days.

WHEW...............glad yesterday is over!  Here is to a speedy recovery.   Anybody got any suggestions on how to keep Luke from scratching under his throat?    

Thanks to everybody for their comments and emails.  I really appreciated them.      Anne

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear about Luke!  Sounds like he is doing great.  And what great neighbors to come and give him a massage!

Keeping him in my prayers for a fast recovery.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Poor you, Anne, hope you are feeling better by now. So glad Luke made it through with flying colors; they are so resilient.

I'm clueless on how not to get him to scratch. We had to put Koda in one of those ridiculous looking collars after he got neutered because he wouldn't leave his incision alone.

I wonder if you gave him some Benadryl if that would take care of the itching.

betty

Anonymous said...

YAY Luke! What a tough gentleman :)

Good luck with the scratching! Putting socks on his feet will make him scratch harder, and same thing for putting a bandana or something around his neck. Just keep an eye on him, I guess!

Hugs to the Wonder Dog :)

Get a 32 oz container of vanilla no fat jogurt, toss in one large jar baby fruit, a good squirt of honey and a blob of peanut butter. Stir, freeze in small containers. He will lick for at least 15 minutes to get the stuff out of the container - and can't eat and scratch at the same time, lol! My dogs love the stuff.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Glad Luke made it through with flying colors!  Hope you are feeling better.
Try maybe a scarf around his neck? I just don't know.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne!  I'm so glad to hear that Luke is doing so well.  These little animals seem so resilient!  I'll continue to pray that it's all benign.  As for the scratching at incisions, we always recommended the Elizabethan collar (when I was working as a vet tech!).  I don't know of any other way to keep them from going at it.  You've got to keep him from it, though, because he can either reopen the incision or cause an infection from licking and scratching.  By the way, I do hope you have recovered!!!  Take care of yourselves.  Later, Linda!

Anonymous said...

Alright Luke!   happy to hear he's doin so well   now it's your time to get healthy Anne..lol   take care~kbear

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Luke is doing so well!  I
was really worried!  I hope you feel
better yourself!
Love you Anne
Connie

Anonymous said...

Wow!  So much going on in your life right now!  Sweetie, don't drink water when your tummy is upset.  Soda is better -- I'm surprised Doc didn't tell you that.  I'm sending comforting, healing vibes to you and Luke right now!

R

Anonymous said...

Anne, I'm glad that Luke came through with flying colors and wil be hoping that the doc is right about the lumps.  Unless you want to "cone" Luke, the only way I know to get him to stop scratching is to be around him all the time and say "stop scratching" whenever he starts.  Fargo goes in the other room when I tell him that (just like a kid, eh?).  Paulette

Anonymous said...

That is good news, Anne  ... I am so pleased to hear it.  Now YOU need to get feeling better.  Take care of yourself !  Tina

Anonymous said...

Just dropping by to say hi. I am glad Luke is doing great after the surgery.