Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Food For Thought


Nothing special happening today. Doc went back to the tundra the other day and Luke and I are holding the fort down.  He continues to have health issues and I continue to cook for him to find JUST the right combo that will allow him to eat.  (Old Dog, Children and Watermelon Wine) 

I fixed an old fashioned pot roast today.  I went to Whole Foods which happens to be my favorite grocery store and purchased a chuck roast.  I browned it along with some vegetables and put it in a slow oven for several hours.  (You Can't Hurry Love) and the results are fabulous. Red wine was also delicious.  Now what to do with the rest of it?  OK, I could share, but I think not.  I have plenty left and so I will freeze another portion for a meal and then take the left-overs and make vegetable soup.  I have a great stock already. All I will do is skim the fat off of the top of the refrigerated broth and then make the soup.  Leftovers will be frozen to await Docs return.  He is easy to please when it comes to food............that is unless I mention liver or salmon patties.  I mention those 2 items when I want to be taken out to dinner, seems to work.

This town is hopping.  Bowl games, car auctions, golf and the Super Bowl are all mixed in together.  The car auction which can be found here: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/ is in town and brings collectors from all over the world to bid on everything from Elvises' old car to the Monkeys old GTO, the Dukes of Hazard car, and famous racing cars.  Perhaps you would be interesting in futuristic cars or  OLD street racers, even the Thelma and Louise car is here.  That isn't the only car auction in town. There has been such a demand that other auctions have popped up in the valley that are competing with the Barret-Jackson auction.

The Arabian Horse show will be in town soon, along with the Phoenix Open. Well they don't call it the Phoenix Open anymore, but I do. To people who have been in the valley for awhile, it will always be called the Phoenix Open.  Doc was on the 16 hole when Tiger made his famous play a few years ago.  AND where was Doc?  He went to get  a HOT DOG.  YUCK!  He bought a scalped ticket where he was in a very private area with a buffet that you and I would die for, but HE wanted a stupid hot dog.  (Serves him right!) 

What really excites me is the Parada del Sol.  They actually have the Pony Express ride from Holbrook, AZ down the Old Town, Scottsdale.  You can even have your mail sent via Pony Express. 

I got back from Vegas a few days ago.  No, I didn't gamble, I visited a good friend who had surgery. Not to worry, she will be fine.  We managed to watch a whole lot of movies, drink (just a tad) and tell tall tales.  The only thing missing was smoking and I gave that up decades ago.  

So I am trying to imagine what car Remo would drive away. if he could.  I kind of see him in the BATMOBILE, don't you?  Jon, would drive away the old funeral car and Mosie would be found at the Horse show.  Suzy and I would be looking at the race car drivers.......errrrrrrr,   I mean cars!

So I'll leave you with a couple of quotes:

1. Neurotic----------a guy whose wife, girlfriend and note at the bank are all a month overdue.

2.Women like guys who are tall, dark and have some.

3. Whistler's Mother was framed!

THAT'S ALL FOLKS..........................................................................................time to hit the trail.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know they are selling The Clampetts truck this year at Barrett-Jackson?  What a hoot!  ~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

A nice homemade pot roast & some good wine; impressive but not ostentatious. I've been eating too much so for right now I will just stick with turkey breast & a salad, but your dinner does sound great.
I'm so sorry Luke is still not feeling well, but he is very lucky to have you caring for him.
~Mary

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've been busy.  I hope Luke finds your fare appetizing, I sure do.  
That's quite an auction, I'll take the 39 Dussenberg, thank you very much!  Should someone warn those race car drivers?  (wink)
Sam

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're living the good life!

Anonymous said...

Lumpy would want the Cadillac those drag queens drive in "Too Wong Foo".

Russ

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your a busy little beaver. I haven't been to Vegas or Tahoe in a coon's age.

Good for Doc ! If he missed Tiger, tell him to reload and adjust his sights. Anyone who won't eat liver or salmon can't be wrong !

I either got or dated Salmonella once.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Ooooooooohhhhhhh post roast, one of my favorites, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

i love this entry, it is a great look-see into your life.  and it is a good example of your stylin lady-lou!  grins, debra

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to the Open for a few years. Traffic is too much hassle. I think I'd like a nice Barracuda from the auction. Maybe the Clampett-mobile.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.  Love the pot roast.  I cooked the same yesterday, had soup and pot roast beef sandwiches for supper tonight.  Fargo enjoys this also, with a little fat, beef and broth added to his dry food.  In fact, he won't eat until after the people of the house have eaten -  he's afraid he might not have room for the hand-outs.  I hope Luke continues to do okay, I know he is important to you.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I fixed a pot roast on Sunday, and we had the leftovers on Monday.  (I liked your song references!)
Lori

Anonymous said...

Pot roast sounds SO GOOD!!!  But I'm with doc on the liver and salmon patties, get me OUTTA here!!!  LOL!!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

Yummy...I love a good pot roast..have a great week!  Hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

Love to hear about the Arabian Horse Show if you see it.  Potroast, that's what I always asked for on my birthday - looking at that picture is...<sigh> CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you know me. I would be looking!

You wrote this entry on my child's birthday :-)

xoxo