Sunday, February 17, 2008

THE WONDER DOG YEARS

 

 

 

 

 

HE was a warrior and yet graceful until the very end.  We had a wonderful walk last night and this morning.  He kept collapsing this afternoon and I knew something was wrong. He would try to get up and walk sideways, then collapse  and stuck his head up into the air to breathe.  He had to use the bathroom one last time and walked over to the tile from the carpet, fell down and lost bladder control.  He died in my arms on the way to the ER. I left lipstick kisses on his face and tears upon mine.

LUKE, THE WONDER DOG..............2/17/08.  R.I.P.

47 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel.  Perhaps Luke and Mandy are running across a meadow now, together.

Anonymous said...

sorry for your loss.
run like the wind Luke.

Hugs
erica

Anonymous said...

Anne,

It was an honor to meet Luke.  He clearly was a great member of your family.  So sorry to hear of his passing.  He knows he was loved.  We are thinking of you.

Peace,

Virginia

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you've lost Luke, he was a beautiful dog and obviously a very close part of the family.  May he rest in peace.

Joann

Anonymous said...

I can't begin to tell you how much Luke's passing breaks my heart. As an animal lover, I'm beside myself. I was aware that he was sick, but one is never ready for the finality of it all. Rest in peace, Luke.

My sincere condolences to you, Anne. I know how much Luke meant to you.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Oh Anne. Luke adored you. You were his one and only girl, and I know that he will watch over you and continue to take walks with you... only now his steps will be lighter and easier.

There are no words to say how sorry I am, I know that you will miss him so. Know that so many people are reaching out with love and support, just as you have always loved and supported so many here.

Cheers to the most marvelous and amazing Wonder Dog, Dear Luke.

Love and big hugs tonight.

judi

Anonymous said...

I am coming to you by way of Guido. I am so sorry for your loss ~ I know the pain and emptiness you are feeling without your Luke.  He is a beautiful boy and I have no doubt you will meet again.  My heart breaks with you as I just lost my yellow lab a few months ago.  Be well and rest in peace Luke.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry...
Special thoughts...
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Anne , I'm not sure what happened between us but I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am about your loss of Luke, you are in my thoughts, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anne, I am so sorry for your loss.  I just happened over; I did not get an alert.  You gave him such a glorious life.  I know he will be terribly missed.  Hugs and blessings to you my friend.  Love you.  Linda

Anonymous said...

OMG Anne, I am so sorry! You had a lifetime of wonder and love with Luke - do not ever forget the love you two have shared. My heart goes out to you! Call me, anytime, anytime at all you want to talk!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I am coming by, by way of Guido.  I am so sorry for your loss.

Hugs,
Gina
http://journals.aol.com/motoxmom72/GinasWeigtLossJourney

Anonymous said...

Dear Anne...

I am so, so sorry to hear about Luke.  I know he was a precious member of your family and that this is a very difficult loss.  He was very lucky to have you, as you were lucky to have him as part of your life.  I will be thinking about you both.

Kat

Anonymous said...

I come by way of Guido.  I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Luke.
~D
http://journals.aol.com/heavenlybama/journey-to-success

Anonymous said...

oh, anne.

Anonymous said...

God Bless you and Luke!   i know how the heart hurts during this time, but the memories will outway the pain in a little while   hold him in your heart forever as i hold my Charlie Brown in mine   i love you both  much empathy and hugz~kbear...tears roll for you...

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry.

I wish I had more to say.

Take care-
N i K i

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Anne, he died loved; your grief must be overwhelming; he will live on in your memories forever

betty

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anne, I'm so sorry.  He'll always be with you, looking out for you.  ~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.... But Luke was loved, and he loved back. Those are the important things.

Rest in Peace (and Love), Luke.

Anonymous said...

Oh no....
I'm so sorry, Anne.
Luke lives on in the great memories
you have of him and the joy he
gave.

Sad Honls,
Russ

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss, may Luke play & frollick with many of our dear furr babies who are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge. R.I.P. Luke. {{{}}}
My prayers are with you & family, know that'll he'll be waiting for that "someday".
God bless,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Very saddened to hear of your loss, Anne. You'll meet Luke again beyond the Rainbow Bridge.

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers.
So sorry for your loss.
Hugs
Carolxx

Anonymous said...

He was beautiful.  Losing a pet can be oh so hard.  Thinking of you during this time.  
Jamie

Anonymous said...

Luke, the beautiful dog.  The loss of a beloved family pet and member is so difficult.  Thinking of you and knowing that your memories of Luke will help you through.  {{{hugs}}}

Anonymous said...

thinking of you ,
sue

Anonymous said...

He was a pretty dog. May you find peace. Helen

Anonymous said...

I`m so sorry....

Hugs

Love Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Oh Anne, I know the heartache that you're feeling right now must be nearly unbearable. That was one wonderful, lucky dog, and you were so fortunate to have had that time with your Luke. I know there's little any of us can say to make the sadness go away, but as a fellow dog-owner, I know what you're going through. He was loved and he will be missed. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope there is a heaven for dogs, too.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Death never comes tidily, but with you there, it came with love & kisses. I'm so sorry, but I know he passed with all your true compassion & love, right there available to him.  Peace.
~Mary

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your beloved Luke.

Anonymous said...

Found you through Jimmy's Journal, and just wanted to offer my condolences on the loss of your puppy. Losing a pet is such a hard thing, but I'm sure Luke knew you were right there with him at the end, and that's the best thing we can do for our furry family members. My thoughts are with you.

Take care,

Beth

Anonymous said...

And tears upon mine as well.  I know that a huge chunk of  your heart went with him Anne.  I hope that all of the cherished and happy memories you have of your wonderful Luke the Wonder dog will help you through your grief.  Don't ever let ankyone tell you that we don't love our animals as hard as our people, or mourn their passing just as hard.  Big hugs to you.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss.  There is nothing like the love of a pet, especially a dog.  I wish you peace during this difficult time.  So sorry for your loss.

C. Arthur
Beaverton, OR

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry for your loss ~ I am glad he was in your ams at the very end ~ Ally x~

Anonymous said...

 I am so sorry at the loss of Luke.  What a beautiful Dog.

             Julie

Anonymous said...

tears fell from my eyes as I read this....they leave such paw prints on our hearts, dont' they?
Marti

Anonymous said...

tears fell from my eyes as I read this....they leave such paw prints on our hearts, dont' they?
Marti

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anne, I am so sorry.  I missed this alert until tonight and just read about your loss.  I know you loved that dog and he loved you.  He had a good life, Anne, and you did all you could for him.  He knew he was loved!  I know you will miss him, I'll be saying a little prayer for you!
Sam

Anonymous said...

Dear Anne:

I am praying that GOD gives you HIS strength to get through your loss of beautiful Luke.  I know you loved him dearly.  My brother, Jim, talks about you often and is deeply sorrowed too.

Please take care

All my love, prayers, kisses and hugs
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I know I sent a personal message hon. I had thought to have posted here earlier, apparently I didn't....for that I apologize. I know you and Luke were quite a pair. Both loving and compassionate toward the other. Luke hung on as long as he did, because he loved you and didn't want to leave your side. That in itself is a testament to the love you both shared. I've shed a few tears, these past few days for his loss. I know this isn't easy dear one, I'm an email away if you want to talk. Your in my thoughts and prayers on the smoke!(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Luke's passing.  He was quite a dog, and I hate that he is no longer with you.  I do love the way you wrote this entry, and the pictures are beautiful.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anne, I am so sorry, but also so glad you were with him, showing him how much you loved him as he died. He was a Noble Dog, and I am glad you had each other to love. I am crying for both of you. Love, Margo

Anonymous said...

Ah Luke, such an eager life to praise now that you can't be seen.  I honor your bravery and loyalty.  Now forever in the hearts of those who love you, enjoy this next step on your incredible journey.  I wish I'd known you.  xoxo CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

OH Anne, I'm so sorry to hear Luke has passed.   I know nothing but time will help ease the pain of losing a beloved one, but I hope all the thoughts and prayers being sent to you will help you through this difficult time.   Big hugs - Sie

Anonymous said...

I'm returning your visit... I didn't know about Luke until you came to console me about my Max. We both have lost a best friend. Your Luke died in your arms, and my Max was at the animal emergency hospital, without me. But I was with him during his last hour, and I'm sure he knew it was me. He tried to pull himself away from the oxygen they were giving him when I approached him. He needed the oxygen, so I left the room so they could do for him what they needed to do. But maybe it wasn't what Max needed them to do... he was dying and he wanted me to be there. But I left. I'm still regretting that I left. My husband said we left hoping they could save him. It doesn't help much. I wanted to hold him, to pet him, to comfort him, it was my last chance to be with Max alive, but I left. When I think about it, I replay it, and I stay there. I stay and pet him, and talk to him, and he relaxes, and he let's go. And I cry, but at least my baby was in my arms, like when he fell asleep each night in my lap. I keep going back to those moments in the emergency room, at the point when I said "We're leaving, Max, so the doctor can take care of you... but we're coming back, so you get better." and then I kissed him on his soft forehead, and touched his ears, his neck, his back. The nurse was holding the oxygen mask over his face, and he kept trying to pull away from it. He wasn't doing that before I walked in, she said. We all took that as a sign of hope, that he would get better. I need to stop revisiting that. It keeps me grieving. I will always miss that adorable face. Your Luke was special too, is special. I'm not ready to get another dog... I still have Misty, but she is old. She will be next. This is too hard. Thank you for visiting me. I am sorry for your loss of Luke. bea