
Tomorrow is a lunch day. I use to be a lady who lunched. We've all seen them. They are in groups, known each other for years and watched their families grow up and prosper. I use to be a card carrying member of that club. I could order a salad nicoise with the best of them, but now, I prefer more intimate lunches that are long and lingering and if there is a bottle of wine to be shared, even better. Who was it who said, "I still have bouts of being a lady, but they pass."
Let me say that I am not ashamed of my family, but the truth is that both of my sons are struggling now. One has a mental illness and is manic. He was severely depressed before Christmas. He will not take his medication and I can't force it down his throat. The other is going through the divorce from hell. His soon-to- be X-wife reads this blog and refers to me as the Anti-Christ, so I'll be sure to do a shout out to her. I hope she is enjoying all of the jewelry she was given by my son and myself. Here's an insider tip: if she decides to pawn or Ebay her wedding rings, which are beautiful and in a platinum setting, knock yourself out.............the center stone is a fake.
But I digress. Lunch? yes......lunch, tomorrow.....4 of us, sharing our lives, as the stomach churns. They have lovely families and that isn't my beef. It's my response to it all. When it's my turn, I am not able to tell them how it really is, because they don't come with the ability or tools to really understand. It's like when somebody say's "How are you?" and you really tell them............ain't gonna happen at this lunch. "FINE, FINE, FINE as frog fur" will be my answer. I am a master of changing the subject. One lady is good at going back to the original question.
So asI ponder. I think of my dearest friend Vivian. I almost killed her with my home made cranberry sauce once. I blamed it on the damned french canning jar with the chipped glass on the top. She was eating it and spit glass on the table and yelled, "Are you trying to kill me?" "Not unless it was a quick death, I responded. After all I am merciful!" Vivian has taught me so much about life. She also found herself in this dilemma once. They all went around the table and told about their blessed lives, outstanding universities their kids attented on scholarships and with honors. They lingered over the salad and how intelligent and gifted they all were. It was her turn as all eyes were cast in her direction. She paused and after awhile she smiled and said, "My kids always eat everything on their plates!"
Mind do too! Thank God! Did I hear somebody from the back pew yell, "Good answer"?

19 comments:
frog fur...snicker
grins, debra
I'm such a coward. I would not go to that lunch. Not that I'm ashamed of my family either but I don't want to bring unnessary judgment on them. However I might say.....your family is no different from all others. There are problems everywhere that trouble a Mother's heart.
I HAVE MISSED YOUR WIT..OH HOW I WOULD LIKE TO DO A TWO BOTTLE OF WINE LUNCH WITH YOU!!!
LYN
There is always something to be thankful for if we take the time to look for it. My kids always ate everything on their plates or there was no dessert. How's that!
'On Ya' - ma
I feel that way about my own family! My kids didn't immediately go to college after high school - strike one. Two of them have very long hair - strike two. Need I go on? I am proud of my children and their accomplishments, and I'm done "Feeling bad" about the way other people think our lives should be. ~~Kath~~
Love the "bouts" quote. From here, I go to the 'net to find out what in hell a salad nicoise is. I wonder if it comes with shrimp my-newt?
Jimmy
oh how I wish I could have lunch with you Anne; I'm the one that listens to other kids' accomplishments too and wonder "what the heck did I do wrong". I soooo understand what you are saying and the worse thing is I have come to think that people really look down on you if your child isn't achieving or gets in trouble with the law (like my son did); I didn't choose that path for him, believe you me. I've learned to be more compassionate and less judging and like you, I love my kids; the other day as I was thinking about this and praying about it, I told the Lord thanks for them, problems and all, I love them and through them and dealing with their lives, I've become less shallow, more forgiving, more compassionate and closer to the Lord, and for that I'm grateful........but I know so much what you say..........
hugs to you
betty
This reminds me of those Christmas letters I used to get from family members with the perfect families. It is all so hippocritical. So are your lunches. Why do you punish yourself so much? Get some real friends kiddo.
I just loved "My kids always eat everything on their plates" that was a good answer ~ I would avoid those kind of Lunch dates ~ much preferring to dine with a close friend ~ where we know each other like the back of our hands ~ no need to boast just real friendship ~ Ally x
My Mother used to go thru a different version of that because my Dad was a janitor. I found out years later she'd tell people who tried to show her up: Oh well, at least Frank has a very big *ick. ~Mary
ps HA HA HAAAAAAA on the fake stone!
"The center stone is a fake."
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
I'm with Ally, ONE of those lunches with anyone like that is enough for me... I'd much rather spend my money and time with friends who are real.... Thank God, I have enough of them to use as an excuse to get away from lunches like that... LOL!!! Good hearing from you. I love the fake stone thing!!! LOL!!
Joann
I always love people who can think quickly on their feet. I always think of some witty comeback, but it's usually hours later. <sigh>
Love you Annie-Lou!
Connie
Yelling, "Good answer!"
It is a sad state of affairs that good friends feel the need to compete (what?) with other good friends ... for the top spot in 'the good life'.
I've dropped those friends. I want real friends. Friends who understand because they are honest enough to admit that 'they've been there.'
Anne, I love your humor and that you are able to use it to get yourself up from your funk, at least occasionally. I'm sure that your sons are loving and caring human beings, mental problems and alcoholism notwithstanding. It is soooo hard not to take on the problems of our adult children. I too have had alcoholic (and drug addicted) children, lying awake at times waiting for the phone to ring and just wishing that fate would get it over with. I have a son who has had legal difficulties of a sexual nature (fortunately not a registration kind). My youngest daughter has been unemployed for over a year and is probably not going to be employed any time in the neat future. She is going to try to get on SSI, but one has to acually APPLY to get through the approval process. Fortunately she is a joy as well as a burden. My sons have all cleaned up their act and are proving to be upstanding adults as far as I can tell. Keep the faith, whatever it is and know that you are not alone. Paulette
It was a great answer!
I hope your lunch was wonderful :-)
xoxo
I'm usually speechless when I get together with my friends too, when they start bragging about their kids. This one's in college. That one is getting a scholarship. One day in particular, I remembered that I was holding a manilla envelope with insurance photos in it. My oldest who was 14 years old at the time, had snuck a cigarette out back and tossed the butt into a pile of dried leaves under the patio table. It caught on fire, as did the sun umbrella and all the chairs. The neighbors had to call 911. A zillion fire trucks and police cars responded. Anyway, when my turn came I took the photos out and passed them around. I said, "This is Lisa's first fire. Quite a bit of damage for her first one, don't you think? The Fire Marshall is actually looking at her for 9 other suspicious fires in my area! To think that's she's only 14! My God! By the time she's 21 I bet she burns down Philadelphia!" They were dumbfounded. The memory amuses me and pains me to this very day! On a positive note, Lisa never did go into the field of arson. But there's always hope... Hugs, Lisa
http://Journals.aol.com/onmiownnow2/TheOccupant/
Great entry - I loved it!
This is Jon, better late than never........
So your soon to be ex-daughter-in-law reads your blog. And now she knows about her wedding rings. That may be one of the best gotchas ever.
Mrs. L
Post a Comment