Saturday, June 21, 2008

COME ON BABY, LET DA GOOD TIMES ROLL

LET DA GOOD TIMES ROLL

It was a wildly exciting and seductive day spent in the valley.......that would Napa Valley.  On our way to a wedding, we explored some of the wineries along the way.  The vines, the wines, the food, the mystery of "WHO" lives here(?) has a way of seducing you into thinking and feeling you are young at heart.

AND so it was, we found our jeep pulling over at V.Sattui to sample a little of dis and a little of dat. Sitting on a picnic table after rushing through the deli, we decided to linger and enjoy the freshness of the air and each others company.  A few minutes later a sweet girl walked by and asked if her girlfriends could join us at our table.  "Of course" we replied.  Meeting Kristi, Beth, Rebecca and Becky was such a treat. Sometimes it's just easier to talk to strangers than "loved ones."  We talked and laughed the afternoon away, weaving tapestries of lives lived fully and as bright as the midday sun. They took time out of their day to get to know us and share their lives with us, if only for awhile. These YaYa's are not to be messed with..........they've got "shimmy 'n their shake" and after lunch was over, I think I had some shimmy in mine too. We discovered our tie that binds is we are all southern women.  I wrote a poem a couple of years ago, that I would like to repeat. It so reminds me of these beautiful, successful gorgeous women.   Sherron and I raise a glass (or two) to ya'll.

SOUTHERN WOMEN

ARE NOTEWORTHY
SPEAK VOLUMES WITH THEIR EYES
USUALLYCRY WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKIN
HAVE PASSION IN THEIR VOICES
ARE QUICK WITTED AND WILD SPIRITED
CAN NOT BE CONTAINED, CONFINED OR CENSORED
ARE NOTORIOUS FLIRTS
LOVE THEIR FRONT PORCHES, FANS AND ICED TEA
CAREFULLY TEND THEIR GARDENS, BOTH SPIRITUAL AND FAMILY...........
LOVE THEIR HATS
CAN BE COUNTED ON FOR TENDERNESS IN ALL THE RIGHT PRIVATE MOMENTS
STILL USE HANDKERCHIEFS AND SCARVES
LOVE TO LAUGH
WILL LOVE SO DEEPLY THAT IT JUST DOESN'T SEEM TO MAKE SENSE TO THE AVERAGE PERSON
CAN SPEAK SO SOFTLY THAT YOU HAVE TO LEAN IN TO HEAR
AND YELL SO LOUDLY THAT YOU HAVE TO COVER YOUR EARS, SOMETIMES IN THE SAME SENTENCE AND USUALLY ABOUT THEIR FAMILY
THEIR PEARLS ARE REAL ALONG WITH THEIR SILVER
GROW UP KNOWING THEY CAN DO ANYTHING THEY SET THEIR MIND TO
WILL DO ANYTHING FOR YOU IF YOU ARE NICE AND MILD MANNERED
WILL POINT OUT INJUSTICE AND STAND ON PRINCIPLE
CAN GET BY WITH SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT PEOPLE AS LONG AS WE ADD, "GOD LOVE 'EM" AT THE END OF THE SENTENCE
KNOW ALL TOO WELL WHEN NOT TO CROSS THE LINE, BUT SOMETIMES DO IT ANYWAY
ARE OFTEN CALLED BY THEIR FIRST AND MIDDLE NAMES BY FAMILY
COUNT ON THEIR GIRLFRIENDS FOR THEIR EMOTIONAL SUPPORT
WILL COME OVER AT THE DROP OF A HAT IF YOU NEED THEM
LOVE TO MAKE UP SONGS
CAN MAKE PIES AND CAKES FROM SCRATCH,
LOVE TO BAT THEIR EYES FOR EFFECT
CAN BE COUNTED ON FOR TELLING YOU THE TRUTH,UNLESS OF COURSE IT WOULD HURT YOUR FEELINS
KNOW WHEN TO CUT THEIR LOSSES
AND HOW TO RUN A FAMILY ON A BUDGET
LOVE THEIR JEWELRY
MAY FUSS ABOUT THEIR FAMILIES BUT DEFEND THEM TO DEATH
KNOW THAT MEN LOVE THEIR TOYS AND CAN GIVE THEM THEIR "SPACE"
KNOW HOW IMPORTANT A KISS CAN BE
AND BASK IN THE AFTERGLOW

ALL IN ALL WE ARE A SELECT GROUP, AN ACQUIRED TASTE,  A TALL ORDER, A SMILE OF DESIRE...AND A COOL DRINK OF WATER ON A HOT SULTRY SUMMERS AFTERNOON.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a delightful way to spend the afternoon! and in Napa!!! always a favorite place of mine! a pleasant treat for sure!!!

Anne, did you ever publish this poem? for some reason it seems I've read it before and I don't ever remember reading it in your blog, but maybe I did now that I think of it; my memory the past 2 years took a nose-dive with stress

so glad you had an enjoyable time, and the wedding???

betty

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time.  Are you taking the photo?  You have such fun adventures.  I wish I could tag along!  Hugs to you.  Linda

Anonymous said...

I love Napa Valley! We always stopped there on our way to Tahoe. Your southern belle reference reminded me of a joke, but I'll have to email it to you since it's a bit risque. It will also be in my Monday journal. Nice poem!

Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

Love this entry!   taste that wine for me too  it's been a loooong time since i've been there....and if you didn't catch my recent photos, b&w photos, drop in for a visit when you can   sounds like you're having a blast  wish i was there...lol...kbear

Anonymous said...

i've been wondering how your Valley Visit has been and if you had as much fun as it sounded, the wedding and all that.  i love your poem and i am gonna print it out, but i'll be sure to give you credit (wink)~grins, debra

Anonymous said...

Lovin' that poem ... because I do know a couple of Southern Gals ... and they fit your poem to the 't'.

Hope the remainder of your trip was as nice as the visit at the winery.

Anonymous said...

Alas I miss those ventures of visiting various wineries...I did enjoy the telling of yours and the poem. You hit it on the nail when it comes to Southern women. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

A Southern woman + wine = FUN!!!  Let's share a bottle or two sometime soon!

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

I LOVE G.RI.T.S...GIRLS RAISED IN THE SOUTH...;-)
lYN

Anonymous said...

Social Southern Conditioning?  Some of it I am sure, but most is just you being uniquely you.
You might not be economical ;0, but you are bioethical. And unitary. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten that poem.   I'm so glad you posted it again.  And it is so true!  I can make a hell of a german chocolate cake from scratch, and many others too!
I'm so glad you met these women!  Looks like a good time was had by all...
Love you!
Connie

Anonymous said...

Makes me wish my parents had stayed in Charlottesville, where I was born, so I could clain a small piece of Southern Womanhood. Alas, the movced to PA, and now I find myself an adopted new englander-like the South one must be born and bred here for generations to be a real new Englander! Glad you had such a good time , all you Southern Women together! Love, Margo

Anonymous said...

hi, i lost your  journal.   careless  huh?  just  found you  and  caught  up.   great  entries  well  written  journal.   thanks  for sharing.   lovely one  about  the  wedding ring. poetic justice?   take care,  from  norfolk,UK   mort x

Anonymous said...

Nice poem!  Makes me wish I was born down South!  Lisa
http://Journals.aol.com/onmiownnow2/TheOccupant/

Anonymous said...

BIG hugs your way!

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful poem......and - I'll have to admit it -   Some southern women are indeed beautiful. I guess my problem is that I've been looking for women in the wrong Wal-Mart.......   Jon

Anonymous said...

Look at y'all, what a time!  Great pome, hey I met Albert, BB's brother, another great blues guy.  You all look well-seduced!  xoxo CATHY

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun bunch.  You were up in my neck of the California woods, or nearly at any rate!  Your poem is lovely.  Makes coming from Utah seem sort of flat and ordianry, or is that 'onery?   Pauletlte

Anonymous said...

What a great entry!  I really enjoyed your poem.  I guess technically I'm a Southern Woman, too, and your poem especially describes my Mom.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Sorry I am so far behind - but I can see I am truly half southern :)

xxoo