I wanted to post before the end of the year and it seems like I'm taking it right down to the wire. I feel like I'm living a few pages out of War and Peace or perhaps Les Miserables. Sometimes I just wish I could skip a few chapters but in truth, we have to live it and not hide under the covers. Not that I haven't tried.......but dang, you eventually have to get up, get dressed and get on with life.
Thanksgiving was peaceful with Doc and another friend. After that, it's just all a whirlwind dream. I traveled to Kentucky to visit my Mother and my Brother. My Mom even had decorated for Christmas as I had hoped she would. She didn't over do it....just right. I think she wanted to do it and when she found out I was visiting, she really got into it.
It was a good visit in many ways. We were glad to see each other and we could discuss my brothers condition and talk about things that needed to be dealt with. My brother decided that he did not need a will or a medical and business power of attorney. As much as that disappointed me, I realize that is his decision. I had to back off, which I did. You see my brother still believes he is going to live to be 80. He isn't in denial as much as his brain is not able to function in a good capacity. I know this is very frustrating to my Mother as she tries in vein to get him to understand. Yet other times he will surprise me; like when he came over for dinner and insisted upon making the mac&cheese. Mom did NOT want him in the kitchen as she and I were in there and the two dogs........so I stepped out of the work area and sat down. In a way it was funny to listen to him tell her why he wanted to fix HIS macaroni and cheese. "I've always hated yours!!" is what he said.......not to be mean, just to state the fact that was in his brain. Personally I've always loved it. I read the recipe to him and he was able to tackle it and it make him feel like he had accomplished something that day. His wife joined us for dinner.
So that is the update on my brother. There is more I could say, but I just can't..... not right now.........it's too......well, I can't find all of the right adjetives to explain.
I also visited my friend Vivian, who I have mentioned many times in my journal. She and I were neighbors back in 1980 and have remained friends every since then. She and I have had so many adventures together. She has taught me so many things in life that my Mom should have but she never had the patience to do so. She taught me how to cook, be a better Mom, (LEAVE THEM ALONE......was her good advise) to entertain, to be in community theater, and to drink. I think I taught her to smoke and for 2 years we enjoyed drinking, smoking and tellin' tales, usually about men. OH, and she taught me how to flirt with danger without getting burned. After the 2 years, we had to give up smoking because we couldn't breathe. But yes, we still on special occasion do indeed flirt with danger. However the older we get the more our definition of danger changes.
Anyway on Halloween Vivian had a stroke and the next day she had a few more. It has affected her right side. The only lucky thing is that she is left handed. So, when I was down to visit my Mom and Brother, I stopped in to visit with her and her husband. It was so good to see them and hug her. I didn't want to let go of her. For the next few days, I got to cook for her and do for her. She has always done so much for me. I even got her to get back on the computer for a short period of time. She also wrote some Christmas cards and she helped me prepare some food. She would do cracker crumbs with her right hand and a baggy and rolling pin. By the time I left she could even peel a pear......which is excellent sliced with cranberry relish. Oh, her husband got out the Christmas decorations and I fluffed out the tree and she decorated it.
I know she has a long road ahead of her, but she is really trying. She goes to rehab for speech and physical several days a week. She doesn't want to go and I told her that everybody that goes; doesn't want to go but if she didn't go she wouldn't get better and she could, in fact get worse. So I think she will continue to go.
Thats enough for me. I'm tired and still have to go outside and watch the fireworks. We are in Arizona now......and the weather is just fine. Chilly tonight so I'll wear a coat. Oh, and I need to go kiss Doc for New Years. He's sound asleep and won't even know I've kissed him.....but I'll know.
May you all have a wonderful Happy New Year. Here's to good friends and good health.
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Anne, happy new year to you also. I miss your online presence. There are lots of things I can't blog about, but I surely find plenty of things I CAN share with the world.
Be in peace, dear friend.
Dear Anne,
Happy New Year with a big warm hug. This past year has been beyond challenging for you and you have still managed to be there for people and find your way. Hang in and hang on and I wish you PEACE for 2009. I will hope to see you soon!
I'm glad you took the time to write and let us know how things are going. I've often wondered.
I know this New Year will still have some sorrow in it for you but I do wish you some good times to keep it all in balance.
'On Ya'-ma
Happy New Year!!
here's to you Anne!! thank you for an entry; I'm so sorry life is so tough in this season (as well as other seasons of your life); admidst the sadness and the strife, I read joy here mixed with a bit of happiness and a big helping of love. I liked what you did to celebrate life on special occasions even though the times were hard and the people were going through difficult circumstances, but you went to them, you spent time with them, and you loved on them, perhaps not expecting a single thing back or getting a single thing back; sort of how Jesus lived his life, don't you think? you lived out Jesus to people who needed compassion and love and kindness and acceptance and help; what a wonderful gift to give to others and what a wonderful gift to get from the Lord.
its hard though.....I know......
Happy New Year! I hope you enjoy your time in Arizona!!
Koda says hi (well actually he would if he was awake, but the bum is still sound asleep next to my hubby in bed)
I say thanks for this journal entry
betty
Happy New Year, Anne!
Happy New Year my friend! so happy to hear from you. what a blessing you are to your friends and family. despite your struggles, you keep bringing love & joy into it. you're always in my thoughts. May the new year bring you more love & peace. HUGZ~kbear
Wishing you a Happy New Year. Glad that you had a great visit with your, mom, brother, and friend. Glad that your friend is doing better. Thanks for sharing, and wishing you a great day. Blessings, Janie
I think Doc knows you kissed him, just my feeling. I'm so very sorry for the Tsunami of illness...and I am hoping for a much brighter 2009 for you and your friends/family.
~Mary
ooxoo
Sorry I'm just getting by Anne. I'm glad to hear you had a nice visit with Vivian and your mom and brother, even though he wouldn't allow a power of attorney be drawn up for him. I'm so sorry we couldn't get together. I will try to give you a call and make plans to get by to see Vivian soon. I'm afraid this week is full of getting back to school and some doctor's appointments. Please keep in touch, and this time I've put your phone numbers in my "real" address book. Take care!
Wow, you've really had your hands full. I wish your brother peace and Vivian a strong recovery.
As for you, young lady, where was I when you flirted with danger (Will Robinson)?
Best wishes to you, Doc and all for a great 2009.
Jimmy
Anne, I was happy to read your post and that you managed to have a tolerable and happy at times, holiday season.
Happy New Year, Anne, good to hear from you again.
Guido
http://atlantic-lines.blogspot.com
I'll just add another comment until your fingers work again. Come on girl, let's roll!
Jimmy
Post a Comment