Posted by: ksquester
Posted on: 01/26/2006 at 1:12pm (443 of 443)
Truthiness is the word of the year and James Frey's work is an excellent example of that. Truth as we wish it or create it is the definition of truthiness. As a Mother, daughter, niece and grandaughter of alcoholics, I haved witnessed the good, bad and ugly. My Frey's book is a good story, but lacking an ending. I personally think he is a "dry drunk" He lacks humility. I have heard and lived his story (as the Mother) and the facts are he is no more unique or special than anybody who has an addiction, but he is a good writer. It is through my sons life, that my belief in God strengthened, that my life was changed and that truth was honored. I realize that lives can change, for the better, when you have an alcoholic who surrenders to the truth and sets out to make himself whole again. it's been 6 years for him and I am so happy and we are so blessed. Addicition is so very intense and powerful and can engulf and eat families alive, but there is a power greater than addiction.......it is TRUTH and the acknowledgment of a power greater than yourself! Thank you Oprah for this follow-up. Anne Allen

15 comments:
very well written!
betty
That book really touched you. I haven't read it yet, maybe I should!
xoxo
Lots of truthiness in that entry! rich
Truth and honesty are important when trying to conquer addiction. Mr. Frey's story has been proven to be a fraud. I hate him because his lie now casts doubt on many other memoirs by talented writers.
You're a strong woman, Anne. I love you!!
Russ
Here Here! ~Diane~ http://journals.aol.com/dizarra/StorysFromtheCityTalesFromtheSea
Two of my three sons have been drug users and alcoholics. Both are now clean and sober for many years. One through re-hab, 12 steps and lastly religion. The other through finding the perfect girl for him, which also brought religion. I can recall lying awake fearing the middle of the night phone call, the one that said my son was in jail, in the hospital or in the morgue and that he had taken any number of innocent with him. It took me a long time to learn exactly what "serenity" meant. That period inbetween disasters felt like anything but serene! Paulette
hey girlfriend, i've only recently heard about this book and very little of it at that thanks for your insight and i'll pass this one up, but are there other books you'd recommend?~kbear
Beautifully written. I agree that it is so important to acknowledge a power greater than ourselves . .. and to accept that we are humans who make mistakes. It's human to err and it is DIVINE to forgive. ;-)
Amen Sistah!
Connie
Hello, Anne .... I've been the sister and the mother of an addict, and the pain of it is something I wouldnt wish on anyone. To see someone you love destroying themself this way is heartbreaking, but there is great joy in seeing that person recover, and go on to lead a happy and productive life. God and I became close allies during that period, and I am thankful to Him everyday for helping me through. http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme
This is a bad blow to authors who actually have true tales of addiction to share. The best account of alcoholism I've ever read was 'Don't Worry. He Won't Get Far On Foot" by John Callahan. He's a renowned cartoonist who's a quadriplegic because of a drunken crash into a bridge. He makes the experience horribly real --but with a bit of humor.
HONK!!!!!!!!
Russ
I love it when you tell it like it is.
xoxoxo,
andi
Anne
Way to go! I don't think anybody could say it better than this.
Sam
That is such a concise and accurate assessment. In this day and age, it seems to me that the "social norm" is "I'll do what I want...don't like it, too bad"
Nice to see someone called to the carpet and told that it's NOT too bad. Sometimes people should be held accountable.
Jimmy
Umm, you're missed, Lady.
Post a Comment