Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Somewhere, Over The Rainbow

I've never much cared for the drive between Tucson and Phoenix. The highway spooks me, always has! It's rich in dilapidated motels left over from the 50's and 60's, pistachio groves, dust and trafficking. (drugs and human) It's the kind of road that you see giant tumbleweeds blow over, dust storms engulf and too many little white crosses dotting the sides of the road. Human remains are often discovered under rocks in shallow graves not far from the interstate.

The Rooster Cogburn ostrich ranch is a popular stop, as is The Nut House (mostly pistachios with an occasional human "nut") and the outlet mall in Casa Grande. BTW, Casa Grande is the birth city of TV/Movie star David Spade. For all of you ladies that love Kate Spade purses.......Kate is married to David's brother.

The sign in the middle of the pistachio grove warning you NOT to pick up hitchhikers because of a state prison is certainly an eye-opener. Look to the West and you will see lots of huge airplanes parked in the middle of the desert. Oh my......It is a part of a huge airplane graveyard and the other half is located inside the city limits of Tucson.

I had spent several days in Tucson visiting friends and relatives and also the largest gem and mineral show in the world. People from the world over gather to sell their gems. I am lucky enough to go with friends who make and sell jewelry. It is during this time I get to explore the world. The countries of Africa, Australia, Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, Thailand, Argentina, Columbia and even the good ole USA are well represented with their jewels.

Last Saturday afternoon at 4:30 I left Tucson to drive back to Phoenix. Wanting to get back before dark, but obeying the speed limit, (75 mph) I noticed the beautiful sky, with high thin clouds streaking across. The sun was not setting, but lower in the sky when I saw it. It was a vertical rainbow in the western sky. How could this be? I have only known rainbows to be in the eastern sky and never vertical. I stared at that sky for over an hour until it was dark and I was pulling in my driveway to greet Luke, The Wonder Dog.

I have been lucky enough to see many beautiful sunsets and sunrises here in the Valley of the Sun. I have even seen a complete triple rainbow but I have never seen a sight like that beautiful sky and a vertical rainbow.

After doing a little investigation, I have discovered what it is called. What I saw is called a "SUN DOG" It is produced when certain clouds are present, the sun is at a certain angle and there are ICE crystals present at a certain altitude. It's remarkable what a little sun, dust and ice crystals can create when Mother Nature has her hand involved. It had been over 110 days without rain, but there were ice crystals dancing in the sky. I have found a picture for you. I hope you enjoy it.  What I saw was even larger.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the one person I can think of that deserves to have as many vertical rainbows as there are in the universe! I am so glad you are enjoying yourself, Pea.
I sure do love you.

Great entry, and thanks again.  :)

lp

Anonymous said...

Anne
I like the way you say you were able to "see the world" at the gem show.  That sign on the freeway about hitch hikers and the prison would freak me out and I'd have to check the locks on my doors everytime I drove by it.  The Sun Dog was a treat, I'm sure, and a great way to cap off your adventure.
Sam

Anonymous said...

What an awesome sight to see on that dusty road home from Tucson.  I've seen those, but never a triple rainbow!  Have a great day!
~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

How Beautiful!   what an awesome sight on what seems to be a dreary path   i've never been to Tuscon or Phoenix   thanks for the insights once i get there:-)~kbear

Anonymous said...

Wow. You do know how to tell the story. I felt like I was there!

Anonymous said...

I have seen vertical rainbows! They are beautiful :)

I have also seen an ice bow, but just once. That was a sight!

Isn't it great to look outside and still, after a whole lifetime, find new, exciting things to see?

So what did you get this year at the gem show???

xoxo

Anonymous said...

What a great pic! I'm so happy you got to enjoy it in person.  By the way -- that highway full of creepy stuff sounds wonderful to me...I LOVE weird environments and spooky elements.

XO
Russ

Anonymous said...

beautiful picture; never heard of a sun dog before so thanks for educating me about it. I've been on that road you speak of and I could not agree with you before about the spookiness of it

betty

Anonymous said...

Well now I feel as though my diet is complete. You posted an entry, and as usual, it was worth the wait.

I think the world is a little smaller than I realized, too. You and I may have crossed paths without ever knowing it. Do you happen to remember a big silly man falling off the top of a van in Tucson about 2 years ago?  LOL


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Oh Anne...that pictures is absolutely gorgeous!!
Mother Nature at her finest!!!!
Love you!
Connie

Anonymous said...

Isn't this beautiful !  Mother Nature really is amazing.  Sounds like you have seen more than a few interesting and unusual sites.  Good for you !  tina  http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

I saw a rainbow like that recently--but what a wonderful picture.
Your description of the highway is marvelous; have you ever read any of Anne Rivers Siddons' novels?

Anonymous said...

How GREAT to have  you writing a post again!  I'vd missed you.  The travelogue was great too.  I've driven that stretch of road myself. Sometime it seems to go on forever and then other times you get from point A to point B without hardly realizing it.  How can this be?

Ernie was trained by the Navy to be a meteorologist when he was a young pup.  I never ask him questions about things like rainbows because he'll give me much more anwer than I want to know.  On the other hand it sounds like  your 'Sun Dog" was beautiful.  We used to get some spectacular rainbows on the central coast.  I haven't seem quite so many here, but we do get great "prairie" skys.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! It was last Friday that I saw a vertical rainbow in the Indiana sky! I called Joe, who was heading to work and asked him if he saw it too...since it was so unusual I thought I might be seeing things. Not to worry, he was looking at it too.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting!! Learn something new everyday here in J-Land. rich

Anonymous said...

Another beauitful picture! ~Diane~ http://journals.aol.com/dizarra/StorysFromtheCityTalesFromtheSea                                                                                                    

Anonymous said...

I Just discovered your journal and have so enjoyed it.  Such beautiful pictures and a great appreciation you have for the artistic beauty of the earth.  I will enjoy reading more about you and enjoying more pictures.