
Just returned from San Diego a few days ago. Before that, it was Phoenix. Now we are back in Kansas and finding that it is HOT all over the nation.
San Diego was supposed to be a wonderful 71 to 75 degrees, but was it? NOPE! It was in the high 80's to mid 90's with 90 and 100% humidity. I have to tell you that the shops along the board walk aren't really air conditioned. The taxi's are but they don't like to turn it on with the price of gasoline nowadays. Enough about the weather.......on to San Diego.
It was a convention and we stayed at the convention hotel; a big Marriott. I was shocked to learn that they did NOT have a mini-bar in the room.....I guess no temptation for the little ones that are left behind while Mom and Dad are out at the pool.
I went to the mall on day, because I was searching for cooler temps. The cab driver did turn on the a/c for me and asked me 3 times, if I wanted to come sit in the front seat with him........MAKE that 3 NO'S!
We were in quest of fresh fish/seafood and the perfect cosmopolitan and Manhattan. We dined at wonderful places and our first night there we sat outside with the heat and our drinks watching people go by. We saw Jerry Lewis...in his wheel chair go onto his yacht. Looked like he didn't like the heat either.
I have to tell you that after Doc's surgery last fall he has put on a few pounds (as we all tend to do) and I was aghast when he pulled out his clothes to wear to dinner. The rubber band trick on your waist band is only good for so long and I told him through clenched teeth that he desperately needed new clothes. He resisted as I knew he would but when we got to La Jolla at the Tommy Bahamas store I told the man to move quickly, as I had him in the dressing room. Before you knew it he had tried on several things.........all of which were perfect. THEN, the famous words, "I don't need any of these!" With a smile on my face, I said, "YES, you do!" IF you get these things then you won't have to use that damned rubber band again and you won't even have to make a decision because it will be so easy. Reluctantly, he agreed. Mens clothes should come with an expiration date. I found some great hair clips that came in handy with the hot weather and we went back to San Diego to arrive in time for dinner. After a wonderful dinner we shopped at a few stores on the boardwalk. I found a great sports jacket for him and a pair of comfortable manly-looking sandals. He was eating his ice cream when I asked him to come in a try these few items on to see if they fit. The yes/no's ensued until I wore him down. There was a great salesman in there who knew he had to work fast and get him into these things before he walked out again. He asked Doc if he had ever worn sandals like these before and he had not. So the guy says, "TAKE OFF YOUR SOCKS!" (thank God I didn't have to tell him........he listened to the salesman) He liked them a lot and then tried on the jacket. He looked at me and said, "I don't think I really need this"........and which point I had to pull out my trump card. "YOU think you don't need it but my dear, YOU really do........and there could be great SEX involved IF this purchase is made!" With that the salesman patted him on his back and said, "Buddy, this is a NO brainer!" Another couple in the store poked each other and I think they even purchased something!" Summary: A good time was had by all!
A few days ago I had a laser peel on my face. I had to stay out of the light for 2days and even now have to wear a hat and glasses and sunblock. I am peeling like you wouldn't believe and it itches a bit too, but all in all it was a good experience. I think I will have to have another one done in a couple of months.
Tomorrow it's on to the dentist. I am having dental surgery for the next 6 weeks. They promised me drugs, so I said, "OK!" (that is the legal kind of drugs mind you!) Sure hope this month goes by quickly and the weather cools down. It's a long hot summer.

9 comments:
I was starting to worry about you! I am still behind on alerts, and was hoping maybe I missed one or two, but better yet - you are traveling. Lucky you!
You sure do know how to get your husband to get new clothes, lol!
xoxo
I am so glad to hear your trip was good, though HOT, and that Doc now has some good clothes despite himself! You are brilliant about mens' clothes having an expiration date-I really think you could pitch that to menswear manufacturers! Every woman over 30 in the country would support you! Margo
Sounds like you had a great trip, despite the heat!
~~Kath~~
hey we finally got rain here, the past 3 weeks and continuing record rainfall hope you get some soon to cool off glad you had a great trip! take care~kbear
we were just by the Marriott yesterday (the one by Seaport Village??) We spent the day down in San Diego waiting to pick up Mr Matt. It was much more pleasant weather-wise than your experience. I love La Jolla :)
what is it with men and shopping? Glad you got a few new things for Doc
enjoy,
betty
What's the rubber band trick? During my heavier days I used to do the safety pin thing. I've missed you too, Anne!!
Russ
lol.. sounds like it was a great trip. So sorry to hear about the dental work you have to do :( ~Sie
So glad you both had fun in hot San Diego. We lived in El Cajon for three years (East of San Diego about 25 miles) and the first Sept we were there it was so hot that the schools closed for ten days. We would go sit in the pool - and sweat! The first time we ever went to San Diego though was in June when our kids were young. I have pictures of us at the zoo dressed in shorts and sun dresses, standing next to a large woman in a fur coat. Believe me, she was comfortable! Hope the dental work goes well and the meds work great. Paulette
Hey, Anne... so glad you and the hubby had a good time in San Diego. I love that city, and La Jolla is another of my favorite places. I try to get down that way at least once a year. I know that you hit it when the city was unusually hot ... it was even worse up here ! Has cooled down a bit, but not nearly enough. Nice pic of the two of you ... love those palm trees in the background, it looks so tropical ! Take care, Tina
Post a Comment