Wednesday, March 14, 2007

With a Twist

Martini with a twist

Many years ago when I was a young thing I went to Atlanta with my husband. We went with another couple who also had young children and didn't get out very often. Everything was such a big deal to me then.  We were in Atlanta for gosh sakes. It meant exploring exciting places and stores.

It was the time when we had our picture taken and they somehow made it with letters of the alphabet and when you stood back you could actually see that indeed it was your picture. In my case, our picture.  I still have the picture in the basement. It makes me hark back to that hot summer.  Lust and martinis were in the air. Not necessarily in that order.

We had walked to a restaurant called, Pity Pat's Porch. I doubt that it is still there. We went with the couple that was with us and a professor from my husbands college pharmacy days. (Yes, he has more than one career!)  While I was content with an umbrella drink, the professor ordered a martini, up.  This is what I remember about our drinks: I was happy chugging a dark red drink filled with calories, but yummy. The professor upon receiving his drink looked at it and then at the cocktail waiter and then back at the drink. He noticed a lemon twist on the edge of his drink.  He didn't order that. He then calmly said in his soft voice, "If I had wanted a lemonade, I would had ordered one."  That was the kind of humor he had, dry, like the martini he had ordered. I still laugh at this today.

As we left the restaurant/cocktail lounge with our souvenir fans we noticed how unusual our lips appeared, then we smiled, only to notice that our red drink had stained our lips and our tongues and our teeth a pinkish red. ewwwww...... Lesson learned: Should have ordered the lemonade!

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice memory, red stains and all :-)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Pitty Pat's Porch is an 'institution' that is still here in Atlanta, along with a few other old Atlanta fine restaurants, I'm happy to say.   Oh...  good idea..! come visit me and you can go again.  ~Sie

Anonymous said...

I like the Lust part.  Martinis are good too.  I bet you were a pretty hot chick then....since you seem like one now! :-)
~Mary

Anonymous said...

What a great story! I suspect you were indeed hot stuff back then, and hotter now, because you know so much more about life now! Margo

Anonymous said...

Love your stories Anne... my tried and true friend. Thanks for always being there for me.

judi

Anonymous said...

Always, always be careful fooling around with someone who is serving you food or drink, there, Red Lips. Food coloring is tricky stuff!


Jimmy