
Oh my, where or where do I begin? (at the beginning Anne)
I picked up Doc from the airport yesterday afternoon. He and two of our grandkids came home from a Kentucky family vacation. He was exhausted and after dropping off the grandkids we went out to eat so we would have time to talk before we fell asleep. We arrived at the restaurant right when they stopped serving lunch and it was an hour before they started serving dinner. The manager is great and offered to buy us drinks at the bar. So we sipped on a couple of good martinis and caught up on family news.
Doc retired to bed early and I am a little night owl, so I was up watching TV, reading the paper, cutting out coupons and being on the computer. (see, I can multi-task.)
It was really getting late and I decided to take a bubble bath to help me sleep. I took my night time medication and decided that before I got in the bath I should go to the kitchen and get a glass of ice water for my bedside.
I could hear something as I was coming into the kitchen and it was an unfamiliar sound. It sounded like this: "ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" If I was in Arizona, I would really be frightened because it sounded slightly like a snake hissssssssing! My ice maker is in the bottom of my refrigerator and as I bent over to get some ice, I could really hear it and my feet hit water. So I turned on the lights to find that water was pouring out from under the sink cabinet. I had to think fast and I opened the cabinet only to have HOT water hit me in the face, hands and boobs. Being in shock, I thought, "I have to wake up Doc to help me!" So, I dashed in the bedroom and tired waking him up. I ran across the kitchen floor and saw that my neighbor was walking his dog for a late night pee. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't care, but guys, I was "buck naked" and let out a scream and ran like a little girl to wake Doc up. I was standing over him yelling, but ya see, he sleeps with a sleeping mask, ear plugs, eye mask and gloves on, so getting him up wasn't easy. Just thinking of him in his sleeping gear and me in the buff is enough to make ME sick!
We ran upstairs and he found the water to be hot also and went downstairs to shut the water off. I was yelling at him that the water was still on and it was HOT. He can't hear so I ran downstairs to yell at him. We both ran upstairs and I got to the kitchen first. My feet hit the water and I slipped and fell on my ass and Doc fell over me, missing the granite counter top an inch. We both yelled out the F-word and then crawled over to the sink cabinet, only to burn ourselves again. Oh, don't worry HIS hands were protected by his gloves. (That is another story for another day) Finally he got the water turned off and we started sopping up the water with towels. I went downstairs to inspect the unfinished part of our lower level.
There I stood "buck" and was looking at water dripping all over the electrical box, as I was in standing water. SLOWLY I turned, step by step, inch by inch..........and ran, once again, screaming like a baby puss that I am. I went back downstairs to inspect the rest of the lower level and found damage in other parts.
Doc went back to bed. Can you believe he can go back to sleep????? So there I sat, wide awake, with burned hands, face and boobs looking at Doc in his mask, gloves and listening to our sound machine make the sound of the ocean. It wasn't a pretty picture of either of us, but it's real. I have bared everything. I have no more humility left.
The plumber arrived this morning and told me it was unusual pin holes in a steel flexible faucet that flooded the house. It had onlybeen running for less than an hour before I discovered it. I had the flood restoration people out and in 3 more days, they will remove their equipment. So far it's up to $4,000.00 in damages. Thank God for homeowners insurance and a low deductible.
As I walked out to get my mail today, I saw the neighbor who was walking the dog late last night and he called my name. I had my sunglasses on and just put my hand up and turned my head away. I can't look at him OR his little dog ever again.
Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink! That just about does it!!!

20 comments:
Thankfully you found that leak when you did it could have been worse. This is one you'll never forget. Neither will your neighbor. 'On Ya' - ma
Hysterical entry! Sorry about your physical and financial pain, but my mind made a mental video and it was slapstick at its best.
I could just imagine Niagra Falls...........
Jimmy
oh.lawd.anne.sigh
dude, burnt boobs are no fun at all (burnt any part of the anatomy is not a pretty pic). i'm sorry that this is damaging so much and that it's gonna cost. and, uhm, as far as your neighbor (and his lil doggy) goes, if you have had interactions with him in the past, you might want to just uhm bite it head-on. i'm sure he noticed all the comings and goings of the repair people, the damage control people, and such. and dude, being buck naked is not anything to apologize for; you were in your own home, and for all he knows, you were fixing to take a shower and had some problems that needed immediate action. besides, you can now be "buck nekkid", the new breed of super hero coming to a mall near you!
Damn, why doesn't Doc just sleep in a body condom? ::Naked Doctor's Wife Saves Town From Flooding:: We take you live.....
This is hilarious!!! Sorry you got burned, hope you're feeling better!!
Joann
Or you could say, when it rains, it pours?
Oh man... Someday you will look back on this and laugh.. Oh wait, you did! Sorry about the financial hit and the burns (and bruises), but thanks for the story. I could just picture it.
oh Anne ouch in all sorts of ways... I hope you both are ok!!!!!
oh my gosh!! I had to laugh, although it wasn't funny at all; good thing you didn't break any bones in the process!
glad in the end, it is working itself out and will be repaired soon
betty
What a picture! I'm glad you're okay, though. It's funny but it's not funny. I hope everything is alright now. Maybe your neighbor won't remember what he might have seen -- hah! LOL Take care, Linda
Just when I was beginning to think I was the ONLY person who is cursed........wow, truth is indeed stranger than fiction. Your story seems even funnier now than the first time I heard it. I apologize for laughing (honest). I certainly hope things will be back to normal (i.e. nice & dry) within a few days.
Do people REALLY still cut out coupons nowadays??
Oh yea, I guess they do. I used one at Pizza Hut yesterday. Jon
Oh, poor Anne! LMAO! At least you didn't bust your ass in pieces - imagine having EMS showing up in the middle of all that slippery hot water!
Just glad to hear you are reasonably OK.
Gloves? Does he tend to scratch in his sleep?
Just wondering - with an eye mask on, ear plugs in, etc - how do you guys know when to get up??
OH MY GAWD! My bad luck has gravitated north to your neck of the woods! Run...RUN! As fast as you can!!! Hahaha!!!
Oh my...I needed a good laugh. Thanks for providing it! I can just see you running around in the buff, slipping and busting your bare behind, yelling at Doc who can't hardly hear you, and on and on and on. hahahahahaha!!!
Connie
Oh, Anne, what a terrible experience and funny story all at the same time. Thank goodness for insueance!I am so glad you didn't electrocute yourself, burns are bad enough. As for your neighbor, some day you'll probably catch him walking his dog very late at night in his underwear, and be avanged! Margo
Goodness! glad you weren't hurt funny story but i can't imagine you running around in the buff , or maybe's it's me i can't imagine....lol~kbear
What a picture: you naked and scalded, he in his sleeping "costume" both of you slipping and sliding in hot water lol. Something to tell your grandkids eh? CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/
OH LORD! I'm sorry this happened to you guys, but you gotta admit it's a great story!!
xx
Russ
Hey woman, walk proud! Buck nakes is good, burned hands, face, boobs, not so. I can hardly wait to hear about the gloves (snicker). Paulette BTW it's really good to have you blogging again!
I've had my share of flood fiascos but nothing that BEGINS to compete with this! I couldn't help but giggle a bit. Thank God for homeowner's insurance is RIGHT! Good luck with the recovery.
Post a Comment