Thursday, October 7, 2004

Charlie Brown and The Great Pumpkin

WE arrived home late last night, tired and exhausted. As we rounded the bend and down the hill, I noticed something in the dark. My big white dog was sitting about 5" from the front door waiting for us. I then saw something very large and very ORANGE. Under our big oak tree there was a pumpkin of gigantic proportions. How did it get there and why was it there? My husband and I got out of the car and saw that there was an envelope taped to it. I pulled it off and read it. It was from a friend, a thank you note. This person didn't know I had just done a journal entry on the color ORANGE. I can't explain to you how a huge pumpkin under my oak tree delighted me beyond my imagination. I didn't expect it and was surprised to see it and to see who it was from.

    We had just returned from our course that we teach. My husband and I teach an 8 week course for the family and friends of the mentally ill. This course covers everything from depression to schizophrenia. It was week 3 and time for people to tell their stories. I will not ever reveal what happened in that room. I will only say that it would make the stongest of men weep. We support each other, it is a safe haven for the families to express their deepest emotions. In the 3 weeks we have held the course, we have had 3 hospitalizations of the ill, 1 suicide attempt, and 2 in jail....1 for the crime of murder. I consider these family members the bravest and most courageous people I have ever known. They do NOT pretend this doesn't exist. We are stigma busters. Whether your loved one suffers from depression, bipolar, obsessive complusive disorder, post trumatic stress syndrome, schizoaffective disorder or self mutalation, we are here to tell YOU, that we are not ashamed and we will do all we can to help our loved ones with diagnosis and treatment. It's not a Norman Rockwell painting, but it's our life and we acknowledge it and will deal with it. Don't even think about blaming our parenting or our spousal obligations. It was a night to remember, it was a night of courage and reality.

   The big ORANGE pumpkin was a delight. I wanted to jump up and down withjoy. I have been surprised by the number of people who have slowled down to take a look at it....in all of it's glory. Yes, I now love the color ORANGE. It's a beautiful color!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift-the pumpkin, and the class you teach. Blessings, Margo

Anonymous said...

how perfectly sweet!!! i love it!!! On a more serious note, I need to speak with you sometime this weekend, maybe? My next door neighbor barricaded herself in her condo yesterday (it was thought with a gun) and her toddler. There was many cops and many drawn guns. I suffer from depression, and this hit a little more close to home than I'd like. I want to do what's best for her to be supportive when she gets home. I haven't even written about it yet, it was so awful.
I wish that people would talk about mental health (and disease) more, maybe we could avoid some heartache.

Anonymous said...

At least the accepted method of dealing with mentally ill family is no longer locking them in an attic. It's not an easy thing to deal with, and I admire you for teaching that class. Just being in a class like that would be exhausting! Good for you. xoox

Anonymous said...

Oh how delightful. The pumpkin story gave me goosebumps. You are a gem, my friend. judi

Anonymous said...

What a sweet gesture!!!!
-Connie

Anonymous said...

How did I miss this entry?  What a wonderful surprise. I love orange especially this time of year!  The different hues in the trees, the pumpkins, the candy corn!!!  Orange is fall.  You are so strong.  Carrying the weight of those you counsel must be an assignment for an angel.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!!  :-)
~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl