Sunday, October 31, 2004

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like?

I just can't believe it. Two days ago, while shopping at the local "bird cage" (grocery store) I was looking at the pies. I was talking myself out of buying a pecan pie. I heard a voice in the background, a stranger, saying, "I just can't believe it!" I looked up and just stared at her....what are you talking about, I asked? She said, "Just look....the Christmas decorations are up." Sure enough, above the pies the garland was placed perfectly and the Christmas tree in the fresh produce was up and lights twinkling. I guess I should have suspected it after all, the day after Christmas, the Valentine decor and candy is on the shelves. It just took me by surprise this year.

However, there are things that I just love to see at this time of year. I know that when the cranberries arrive it is close to Thanksgiving and that is my very favorite holiday. I saw that the pomagranites are in stock also. I don't even know what to do with a pomagranite, except I love the way they look. I know they are full of juice and seeds. In another day or two they will put the auto-pilot piano in and start playing the carols. There is a radio station that waits until Thanksgiving Day and then they play Christmas music until the 25th. Somehow, I don't mind that. I just love listening to the music of the season. I can be in lots of traffic, but the music just puts me in a good mood. I love it that all of the old music has made a come back. Dean Martin, The Mills Brothers, Eartha Kitt....singing Santa Baby, and the new artists, I love it all. After a hard day a work, my husband and I sit in the living room, fire ablaze, music on and eating our dinner.

One of my favorite pictures is of my 3 grandkids in their halloween costumes sitting in front of the Christmas tree. I know it was early to put the tree up....but that was my bad year. I was in a medical walking boot because of stress fractures in my feet and couldn't do anything. My husband gave me a most wonderful gift. He hired a woman to come and put up all of my Christmas decorations....3 trees and assorted decorations in every room. The only day she could do everything was the day before Halloween. So I sat the grandkids in front of the tree and took their picture/In my guest bathroom, I have a collection of golden Christmas trees. It is a garnet colored small bathroom and the gold trees just sparkle. They weren't expensive, just special.

I remember when my kids were little the boy down the street had the best halloween costume....he was Santa Claus...haven't seen one since!

My lady will be here next Friday. Yes, I know it's early, but not as early as Halloween! We will spend several hours putting up all of the trees and special oraments. I have a small table tree just for glass clip on birds. I have a small one that sits on the kitchen table and has glass fruit and nuts on it.

OK, I am getting in the mood....time to answer the door for trick or treaters......Signing off.....Anne

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Lou today and while walking down 4th street I saw the first C-mas decorations going up!  I certainly took note!  I love C-mas....duh! lol.

Anonymous said...

It used to be they waited until after Thanksgiving, now they seem to pop up before Halloween is even over!
~JerseyGirl

Anonymous said...

Christmas decorations have been in the stores already here for months. It's scary! Your decorations sound very pretty :) xoox

Anonymous said...

What a great ides, to have someone else help with Christmas decorations! Does she help take them down, too? Will she come to CT? Just joking, but only about her travelling. I'm going to start looking for someone, if not for this year, certainly for next! Thanks, Margo

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday too!  Cooking, eating, and getting together with family:  three of my favorite things!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who left her Christmas tree up year round just because she loved it so.

Anonymous said...

thinking of you! judi

Anonymous said...

My sister has three Christmas trees too!  She puts one in their den..thats her teddy bear tree.  The other one goes in her formal living room...thats the angel tree.  The other one goes in the kitchen, and she does whatever she wants to with that one.
She didnt get them all taken down until February last year!  haha!
Glad your gonna have help!
Lovish!
Connie