I know, there are no stupid questions, right? Well, I have noticed something that just perplexes me. It seems this time of year, I notice the birds, all lined up on the telephone or power lines. At first it seems like just a few, but then....it's hundreds all lined up. WHY? Does anybody know the answer to this? I know there has to be a simple answer. I also know that they don't do this in the summer. It just seems like in the fall they do this. I need enlightenment. <<<<<<<sigh>>>>>>>>>>>> Anne
Tuesday, October 19, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I ran your question through Google, and came up with this quote from Rick Carlton, a Biologist. Makes sense to me.
"What makes certain areas hot spots is the location of power lines in relation to migratory routes," said Carlton. Birds of prey seek the highest perch available from which to hunt, and if there are no tall trees around, they go for power poles. "They go to whatever is highest. To get them off power poles, simply put up something that is higher," he said.
I thought they were just resting on their way south. But then, I live in the north. We see billions of birds getting into formation and getting the hell out of Dodge, and who can blame them?
The Canadian Geese don't do that. They just take off like someone lit a firecracker up their butts and keep going. We are a flyover zone for them, I guess!
xoxo
Yes, I did notice this. I always thought it had something to do with their migration!
~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl
I remember hearing that it was for warmth....... but I have no idea if that is true.... judi
Post a Comment