Thursday, January 6, 2005

In Loving Memory of Evelyn Perry Allen

My Guest Speaker is my husband...............

This is a story of my mother, her suicide and how it has affected our family. In January of 1969 during my senior year of college, I was awakened by to the news that my mother had taken her life. My younger brother had found her hanging in the garage. (To this day, I worry about my brother) We all had veriable reactions, ranging from anger, shock to denial and guilt.

  Over the years we have collectivly buried it as a non-issue, as if it never happened. It has been the proverbial "turd in the punchbowl" which everybody ignores. Individually each has dealt with this in their own private way, but never, ever discussed.

  For myself I have supressed it for many years with episodic reminders which evoke shame, guilt and painful memories.

  She was a women who had 6 children, with little emotional support from a very detached husband. She sacrificed her own life for the benifet for her 6 children.  With only an 8th grade education, she worked as a practical nurse at minimun wage and also maintained the home under impoverished conditions. Her primary concern was that her children be educated to have a better life. She also made sure that all of us were regulars at church. She enjoyed life by observing her childrens success. She often walked 3 miles to work and back, while my father stayed at home with the car.

  We all knew something was wrong with her emtionally during her later years, but did not understand the full scope of depression. In retrospect, she had become obsessed and tormented reguarding my fathers probable extramarital involvements. She had been briefly on a mild tranquilizer to no avail. She was completely alone in her private hell. She would often walk the floors, ringing her hands during the night. 

  Not a day passes that I don't think of her. I frequently wish she were here so I could take care of her both emotionally and monetarily. I know she would be extremely proud of all her 6 children. Everything that we are and hope to be, we owe to her selfless sacrifies. 

  I recently visited hergrave in a small cemetary in rural Kentucky. I was consoled by knowing she was eternally at peace and rest, at home with her LORD.

  Depression is an insidious brain disorder. It robs one of life and its joys. True depression can be recognized and treated but requires support and advocacy by a loved one or close friend.

  Survivors of those who have taken their lives also need support, love and understanding as they are also victims of depression. If you suffer from depression please seek help from a qualified psychiatrist. The treatments of today are so much more advanced than of the past.

  Mental illness is a no fault illness, just like any other medical disorder.

  My Mother remains my hero.................................

                                         James V. Allen M.D.

 

 

 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very nice memoir of a mother who was very obviously loved!
~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful entry! You are so right about newer treatments being better and the illness being no-fault. I hope you touched at least one person who needs help and will now get it! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and thought-provoking entry.

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless and very sad.  I am relieved that you view her as your hero, and not blame her for her illness and circumstance.  

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful and sad entry. I still fight urges to self-mutilate on a daily basis, and recently I told Virginia about the sound of my son's voice as he begged me not to leave.... and it has been haunting me ever since. One step at a time leads to one day at a time. The monster never goes away.
Thank you for writing Jim........ your mother must indeed be very proud of all of you.
judi

Anonymous said...

Writing something as raw and honest and beautiful as that is a great way of coping & healing.  Bravo!  Maybe you could suggest to your siblings that they try it as well.   Russ

Anonymous said...

This makes it easier to understand how kind you and Anne are to those of us who have acquired more than the requisite nicks and scratches on this road to who knows where.

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

Love, as always:

Your Friend, The Skin Horse

Anonymous said...

A very moving entry, James.  Depression and suicide are tragic for all who are touched by them, and the grieving process is always evolving.  I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a parent this way.

It seems like you do take comfort in knowing that, even though life was very hard for your mother, she was able to raise six children who have gone on to lead good lives.  I'm glad you still feel such a strong connection to her, tand that your spirituality has helped you.  Thanks so much for sharing your story.   Best wishes, Albert

Anonymous said...

A powerful, poignant, and honest entry. Thank you James for taking the time and effort to compose this. My father suffered from mental illness and threatened suicide often. I remember him sitting in the living room, wringing his hands, tears streaming down his face, apologizing over and over for what a worthless man he was. No words seemed to console him; no warmth of love seemed to dry his tears. Once my mom and I were alone in the house, dad was missing, the cats were going nuts, and we were sure dad was in the basement... at the end of a noose. Instead he had committed himself to the hospital psych ward. He died of "natural causes" when I was only 12 but there is no doubt his illness contributed to his early demise. As you work through this event in your life it must help to put in perspective all the issues you and your wife are facing with your family.

Every voice we add to the discourse about mental illness will help to dispel the myth that it is the fault of the victim and could be avoided if only the person had "tried harder." Thank you James for adding your voice.

http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/862

Anonymous said...

{{{{{James}}}}},

I'm trying to collect my thoughts and identify all of the emotions this entry has evoked in me...it is a beautiful tribute to your mother, one I am grateful you have shared with us.  Depression is no stranger to me. It has 'visited' me periodically over the past 15 years. I've had professional and medicinal help for it. Often I feel strongly that being a part of this community enhances my treatment.

Special and caring people like you and {{{{{Anne}}}}} are a big part of what makes this community such a welcome place.    I hope you two have a wonderful time in AZ and may you both as well as your family and your family of friends have a wonderful new year.

Vivian

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful that the medications available for depression now work as well as they do.  Way back then, there was very little known about depression, and the drugs they prescribed were terrible.
A very powerful entry here!
Thanks for sharing it.
Connie

Anonymous said...

what a powerful and beautiful and sad entry all at once....my heart goes out to you....suicide is so hard to understand and the guilt/saddnes/anger one feels always is there....thank you for sharing these words....this happened in our family 11 months ago and not a day goes by where we don't think of her....~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness mental illness no longer carries the stigma it did when your mother made her choice. Suicide has so many victims.  I am sorry for your loss and so happy to see you using your example, your personal loss, to help others.
Candace