Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The BIG Picture

To continue my entry about my Father, in great detail would not be right. Let me say that he was on his own when he was 13 years old. His first paying job was working for a drug store and living in the broom closet of the store. He then went on to deliever telegrams on a bicycle. He served in the Army in WWII. Before he married my mother he had been married twice before. This is what I need to remember about him, his childhood, his beginning years.

I grew up and lived with a person who I called Dad but behaved in a very cruel, hellish way. All of his bad behavior, and there was plenty of it, was the part I experienced. It's the part his loved ones experienced. He broke my Mothers spirit at a young age, but it was HER decision to stay with him until his dying day.

I don't see how my brother survived. It's interesting that the women he has chosen to date (few and far between) have ended up behaving like my father. He, I am sure, will stay single. His life is a sheltered one. He is brialliant in certain areas, but never experienced the love or even a kind word of a Father. If I could change that for him, I would, but I can't.

So what it boils down to is this: I didn't cause it, I couldn't control it, and I sure couldn't cure it! 

I could go into great detail about the pain he has caused my family and strangers. The insults, the verbal abuse, the physical abuse, but what purpose would it serve? I have acknowledged this part to myself. I need to acknowlege the other part....his beginning. Oh, I won't forget the other part, ever, but to remember his beginging, is the puzzle piece I needed. It's the part that puts the whole picture into place. It's time to see the BIG picture, to release myself from the chains of childhood, from the trauma. It's time to realize that I have a lot of his genes also and hope they are the good ones. I know I have his sense of humor and this is a GOOD thing. I know I have a great wonder about the world and love to travel, as he did.

It's OK, life goes on, the good with the bad. It's just now, I need to know and understand and acknowledge the good. It's coming.....slowly!

What I need to remember, is this. How could he have been any different than the way he was? (Considering all of the things that happened to him from before he was born, until he died.)

The amazing thing is that I "get it." I got away from this situation at a young age and was very LUCKY! I married somebody who was not like my Father, my Grandfathers, uncles, and Great Grandfathers. It is also amazing that I have a son who "gets it" too. So perhaps this gene, this piece of history will be changed for the better...perhaps! One can only hope. 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your understanding and your forgiveness is indeed a blessing.  You're such an admirable woman, and you're showing the power of understanding the big picture and making choices to make the picture you're own.  It's really inspirational.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you very much broke the cycle.  ~Sie

Anonymous said...

Yes, you do get it....good for you...you broke the cycle....oftentimes when dealing with difficult people, if you know some of their background, you gain understanding as to why they are that way...it doesn't excuse the behaviour, but it brings understanding and with that, compassion and forgiveness...

thank you for this entry...

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl  

Anonymous said...

That's the spirit!! There's "good and bad, in everyone", as they say in the song "Ebony & Ivory"....Don't mind me. rich

Anonymous said...

You do get it, Anne. Forgiving him for what he probably couldn't help is a big step. You have moved on to a better life, and you are a great woman!

Did Luke stop coughing?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

By writing all of this out so graphically (I'm impressed as Hell!), you have done quite a bit of healing.  You continue to amaze me with your wisdom and kindness!  HONK!   Russ

Anonymous said...

Anne,
Your an amazing woman.
I'm so proud to know you.
Connie

Anonymous said...

Sort of brings up the old argument of heridity versus enironment doesn't it. Thank goodness you are able to understand and forgive him, which is, IMO, one of the major reasons you were able to raise your son to "get it". Thanks for sharing your father's story.
Candace

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the Serenity prayer.  Obviously, you've learned to change what you can, accept what you can't change, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Anonymous said...

Anne: you're very brave to write these entries.  I agree with you: understanding your father's beginnings is key to understanding both him and his impact on you and your family members.

I hope that in some way, your exploring these feelings brings some needed healing to everyone involved.  thinking of you, Albert

Anonymous said...

Its tough to wonder what about a person comes from how they grew up and what about a person is because that's just their fundamental nature.  I have a partner that had a very hard and abuse life from early on, but it didn't make her hard or mean or dark.  She is who she is in spite of . . . Perhaps she is just a light so bright that no darkness can put it out.
Virginia

Anonymous said...

this is a powerful story, and "getting it" is indeed the important part. I am so glad to know you, soon to hug you....... and am glad that our life's paths brought us to this place. judi

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you have broken the chains of both heredity and environment in your adult life.  You and your children will be much better off.  I don't believe we have to die to experience hell, but that we can find it right here on earth.  Thanks for the sharing.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I have always believed that a broken heart is that much more open to love...no matter how it got that way.

xoxoxo,
me