
"Holy Pink Pagoda" is what I screamed after I pried my loose-fitting shoes off of my swollen feet! I just got back from New Orleans. I met Doc Holiday there for a little "dis and a little dat." I walked in the French Quarter everyday. After going back to the Hotel for a little "dat" I tried to remove my shoes. After removing my mules and looking at my piggies, I realized that my feet were the same color as my toe nail polish. (OPI..Holy Pink Pagoda) Lordy, to say my feet were swollen and sore is an understatement. Side note: If partners learned the real value of a good foot massage, there would be a lot more "dat" in life! The "market piggie" and the "roast beef piggie" are still sore.
Oh we did have fun. But I do question, how much rich food and partying can one have in life? I can only take about 4 days worth. I was ready to come back to AZ. to the rain.
My oldest son and his wife flew in to meet us, as well as my wonderful Dr. Nephew and his partner. Dr. S. is so very busy, but I was thrilled to see him and spend a few hours antiquing and lunching in the quarter. Oh the stories we told and the laughter we shared. Treasured moments in lives that are far too busy and serious.
My son was very patient with his wife and me. We walked and even went into clothing stores. He actually gave opinions as to what we were trying on. He knew there is only ONE opinion to give. (YOU look marvelous!) Poor M. was sick with a cold and can't take any major meds, as she is with child. A girl to be exact, their first and our 4th grandchild. It is an exciting time in their life. They have 3 dogs and 1 cat, both work full time busy jobs, so it was a time to be together before the birth of their child.
As for Bourbon St. well, let's just say, I wanted to throw away my shoes after walking a few blocks. There was young and old, drunk and sober, rich and poor there. It was the smell and the noise that got to me. OK, I admit I am an "old fart" but that smell is unforgetable. As one person told me, "Mrs. A., It's the smell of sin!" I laughed out loud. Yes, hundreds of years worth of sin to be exact. What women will do for a few plastic beads is absolutely astonishing to me. I guess I would hold out until they decided to throw diamonds, emeralds or rubies, being the "jewelry slut" that I am.
The antiques were wonderful, the art galleries equally so and the food, scrumptious. I do believe one could walk the quarter everyday and still see new shops and things they missed.
There was a poitrait artist in Jackson Square telling people, "I can make you look funny for $10.00, good for $25.00 and astonishing for $35.00, but ya gotta get me before I get drunk."
The wig and mask makers are masters at an art form that I have never seen before. (Albert, Madamn G. would LOVE it there!)
Well, in closing I will say that I may have left my heart in San Francisco, but I left a pair of size 6 black shoes in New Orleans. Now, I have to go soak the "stay at home" piggy. These "dogs" are tired!

11 comments:
Ouch! My feet are swelling in sympathy! Maybe we need roller blades or something, lol. I am glad you had such a good time. That is one place I really want to go - and hopefully for dis and dat, too :)
xoxo
I want to go there too!!!!! Sounds like so much fun. Glad you had a blast.
I love New Orleans so, the city where the sleaze and sublime nestle cheek to cheek. I'm so glad you had a good time.
I've been to the Big Easy, but never at Mardi Gras... Maybe sometime in the next couple of years I'll take that wild leap and do it.
Dame Edna would be a HUGE hit
M
Lovbe the graphic! So glad you had fun.... someday I would love to see the city! xoxoxox, judi
Thanks for leaving me a link to your journal, I'll definitely be back. You write with marvelous descriptions. I can almost feel the soreness of your swollen piggies and smell the "sin" of the Quarter. Glad you had a good time, except for the feet, I'm jealous. Paulette
I've never been to New Orleans. It sounds like you had an incredible time. The graphic is JUST how I think of the city.
You make me want to jump on the next plane, with a real good pair of shoes and a nose plug, to New Orleans!! Very funny, Miss "Piggy!" rich
I've been to New Orleans two times...both during
Mardi Gras. Some of the best times I've ever
had in my life!!! What a cool city!
Connie
Wow, you REALLY make me want to go, Anne. I've got to put it on my Must Do list. Another great descriptive entry, and congrats on being an upcoming Grandma-to-be again. ps: I'd hold out for diamonds and emeralds (my birth stone) :-) --Albert
Now, I asked you if ya'll were gonna get busy in The Big Easy...
xoxoxo,
me
Post a Comment