
I just got back from Tucson. Every year there is an Internation Gem Show there. It is the largest show in the world. I went with two friends who make jewelry. They are beaders. I once made the mistake of telling a stranger who commented on my beaded necklace that is was made by my friend who is a MASTER BEADER! Keep in mind it was at the end of a long day and I do have a southern drawl. The look on the womans face was one of shock. I tried my best to correct myself and said, "I mean she is a MASTER PETER!" Again, a look of horror, so I looked up and saw my friend and announced, "And here she is" and immeadiately fled the area. I have learned just to say she beads and makes great jewelry.
All of Tucson has been invaded by every nation on the planet EARTH. It seems as though every hotel and motel in the town is occupied by gem, mineral, fossil or bead makers and dealers. I have been going for years and I thank my friends for letting me tag along.
Have you ever been in a tent the size of a football field filled with pearls? Well, I have! Did you know that there are many colors of diamonds, tourmaline, garnets and saphires? I loved every thing I saw. I learned and saw stones and minerals that I never knew exsisted. I met delightful people from all over the world. There is the Verdite King, a quadraplegic from Africa, who craves with a knife hanging from his mouth. Superior carver and I am in awe of his ability and his ability to help people in his village.
There was the husband and wife who live in Argintina who specialize in chrysocolla, rhodochrosite and butterfly jewelry. The wife told us how much they pay for their space rental (a LOT!) and how long they stay there. We told her we were going to have lunch when we were finished and she said she and her husband rent a house while in Tucson. She said Americans eat too much and are FAT! (OK, I am not thin and just looked at her!) She said, In Argentina we eat meat, salad and fruit, that's it! (OK, just ring up the damn sale!) I told my friend who was with me that Argentina is also the capital of the world in plastic surgery for women.....and her husband was FAT, (but very nice) so there!
I learned about amber. It's a sap from the pine trees from the Baltic sea. It's also the primace of Jurrasic Park. The sap formed a light weight stone and floats to the top of the sea where it is harvested. Sometimes you will see little bugs, frozen in time from a million/billion yrs. ago.
We went to the African Village one day. It was cold and windy, off, off, off the intersate. Where is my camera when I need it? I looked around, standing in the middle of nowhere were many African men, standing in all of their glory, wearing their native garb, speaking their native language surrounded by all of their beads, carvings, baskets, chairs, cloths, art, drums, and wooden doors. It made me laugh when I noticed a few on cell phones. I looked at beads that at wholesale were anywhere from a dollar a strand to $150.00 a strand. I was facinated by one particular strand. I just kept feeling it and asked the man what it was......"snake vertibrae", he replied. (YUCK!) OH, I forgot to mention the porcupine quill braclets.
I learned that there is a new type of "cut" done on stones. It's a concave cut and it makes stones sparkle more than you could ever imagine. The picture above was a plain stone that was cut by a fabulous man who is known for his abilities. He calls it the nautilus cut and his name is Richard P. Homer. He won best of competition.
Would you believe there are awards for this show. They are called the "Gemmys"
Knowing the gems origin is interesting too. Lapis from Afghanistan, emeralds from South American, Amethyst from Brazil, Opals from Australia, jade(in all colors with green and lavendar being the most popluar) from China, pearls from Japan, South Pacific Islands and China, Rubies from Burma, other stones from Sri Lanka, Russian enamaling and the list goes on and on.
I was surprised at the many colors turquoise comes in, blue, green and purple, as well as the many colors of jade.
I asked a lady what was really popular this year and her answer was, anything pink or green. I learned that they take plain topaz and heat it and suddenly it becomes mystic fire topaz. When you look at it, it seems green, blue and pink.
I could just go on and on, but every year I learn more and I just love it. The people are usually wonderul and love to take time to educate you. I thank my friends for letting me tag along. We would start at 10 a.m. in the morning and when we looked up the day was gone.
There are so many things I have left out. The glass venetian beads from Italy and people who make their own beads, larinar, cinnabar carving, malachite,dichroic glass, drusy........oh my<<sigh>>> my head is swimming with everything.
What did I buy, you ask? One thing, is my answer! Anne

11 comments:
Wow. I would have LOVED to have gone to that show. My G'father was an amature 'rock hound' in Phoenix. His stuff is now stored in the many vaults in the Smithsonian. How did you NOT buy more than one thing?!! ~Sie
WOW! sounds like a blast. They do alot of the "gemming" in Quartzsite, too, and we used to enjoy going down to see my mother in law and perusing the gem vendors.
~~Kath~~
OK, what is the one thing?
That show must be just AWESOME.
xoxo
I love Amber! I am intrigued by those poor trapped insects. I'm glad you had a good time, Anne. HONK! Russ
I would be in heaven. Thank you taking me along, if only in words and pictures.
I attended this show about five years ago. The problem was I only had a little over an hour to browse but have always meant to go back.
Master Beader. <giggle>
Candace
wow, sounds amazing! so, what did you buy???
~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl
Wow, Anne-- what a great entry, I felt like I was there. Sounds like an amazing show to attend. Glinka would be ALL OVER those gems! ;-) Albert
oh, it must have been wonderful!!!! Loved the tale told. judi :):)
Hi I live in Tucson and for the last 6 years, excluding this one I helped run an espresso stand there at the Gem show. I love tht you had such a good time. I have friends from every corner of the world and I see them once a year. It is a wonderful thing.
I love the way you tell a story.
xoxoxo
me
Post a Comment