Sunday, October 2, 2005

Alive and ALMOST Well

I have found that if you don't post more often than twice a month, so much happens that you don't know where to begin. So, I will begin at the end.... Doc is going back to work tomorrow and I am going to resume a somewhat normal schedule on Monday.

I would like to thank everybody who knew it was my birthday last month and sent me birthday wishes. I would also like to thank people who expressed their concern for my husband and his health.

A couple of weeks ago I took him to the hospital emergency room and he had an appendectomy. His appendix was up under his right ribcage and STUCK to his colon. They had to remove 6" of colon. Then Murphy's Law set in.......I won't bore you with hospital details. They are too numerous to mention anyway. I brought him home a week ago and he has been recovering ever since. He never once argued or asked about work.......that was a big clue that he was still really sick. Everyday he has gotten better and if he doesn't return to swimming and exercise too soon and get a hernia, then all will be fine.

While he was in the hospital and ALMOST ready to come home, I got strep throat.  That isn't nearly as sick as Doc was, but it didn't help my stamina or mood.  Oh and I had a birthday thrown in for good measure.

I usually enjoy September but I am so ready for October and the cooler weather to set in. Usually we have trees that have lost their leaves by now, but it has been to hot for that to happen. Only in the last few days has it been comfortable. Last night we even had a rain storm. (right about now, I am boring the hell out of Mrs. L. so I will try to step it up a notch)

After knowing my husband for 37 yrs and nursing him to health several times, we had to find some humor in our lives. We took a look at each other once and just burst into laughter. I took his temperature and told him the thermometer that was located in his mouth had last been placed in the dogs butt. Oh well, surely those germs have worn off by now, right? I told him his surgery scar and infection was starting to look like the liberty bell. Oh and BTW, I am NOT, I repeat NOT responsible for the plastic urinal they gave him at the hospital! I showed him my tonsils and it grossed him out. Isn't he a doctor and supposed to be used to looking at gross things? He told me I had enough "cheese" on them to fix a pizza. (ewwwwwww!) He bent over to pick up his urinal and I told him he was offically on crack!  (plumbers' crack) After awhile even the dog couldn't stand us. haaa

One of the first things they want to happen after a surgery is to get your "parts" to work again. One of the signs they are working is to be able to fart and belch. At first my husband had a 90 yr old roommate named Henry. Why is it that men delight in the ability to fart?  Once my husband accomplished this, a voice on the other side of the curtain (Henry, the Wizzard) yelled, "Doc, I think they fixed it!"  Once the contests began I left. They are hoping for an olympic catagory. 

So here I am, Sunday afternoon, husband at church, dog all settled, typing away and I remember an email sent to me by a friend. I have sent it to a couple of people. It shows the latest in foot/shoe fashions and they are awful. It got me to thinking about the shoe industry and how they have tortured us over the years with the silly styles that promote. I ask Jeeves for information on Chinese foot binding. That will be my next post and let me tell you, it is shocking. So far, I haven't been able to blame my husband OR george bush for the Chinese foot binding, but I thought about it, for one brief second, well maybe two seconds.................................

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's SO great to hear from you again.  And I'm glad Doc is able to attend his singles class.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everyone is home and recovering!  ~Sie

Anonymous said...

Soon enough, all will be as it was again. Sometimes, in our lives, that may not be a good thing, LOL.


Good to see you up and about, and feeling somewhat better. Looking forward to the "binding" entry!


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Glad to know he is on the mend.  Thanks for the hope.  Mr. and i are strolling towards sixteen years here, and thank goodness we both have a sense of humor. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

So glad you and your husband are better. If you don't have humor, life is really boring!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Glad everything is alright on the homefront.

Anonymous said...

Oh Anne!  I just can't help but laugh!
LOL
Connie

Anonymous said...

So good to have you back, sweetheart!!  I've missed you!!
Russ  (HONK)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've missed you!  I am so glad your husband is doing better, and I hope that things can calm down for awhile.  More than that, thank you for your laughter.  It inspires.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have missed you, too, and am sorry you have both been so sick. Being on the road to recovery has its pitfalls, too, so take it easy and Happy Belated Birthday, too. Margo

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have missed you, too, and am sorry you have both been so sick. Being on the road to recovery has its pitfalls, too, so take it easy and Happy Belated Birthday, too. Margo

Anonymous said...

so glad you two are on the mend. I have been thinking of you and sending good vibes!!! love, judi

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday!    and i'm so happy to hear you two are recovering well   and yes, humor does life good   i use it all the time when it comes to my blues   take care~kbear

Anonymous said...

I guess if he can fart again all will be fine in time. Poor guys - him for the surgery and you for, well, him!

Foot binding is barbaric and way beyond cruel. I cannot imagine the pain and helplessness that women - well, girls! - used to go through for that. Please tell me that the golden lilies are a thing of the past only.

xoox

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had a rough time. Hope life treats you a bit more kindly this month. By the way, love the graphic.
Sylvia
http://journals.co.uk/sylviam4000/JottingsfromtheSticks/

Anonymous said...

Well BigPea, I am now sure that YOU will be there on the Last Day... longgg after we have scorched
the entire globe.  Too bad your only company will be Cher and cockroaches.


HAHHAAAAAAA!!

I love you!

Little Pea  ;)

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK!  Sure glad to hear that life is returning to normal and that health has been restored.  I've heard tell that doctors make lousy patients.  The worst part of Ernie's surgery and hospital stay is tht he reacts to the morphine by getting nutty as a fruitcake, paranoid as hell, hallucinates, the whole sheebang.  This last time they od'd him on Ativan trying to counteract the morphine and he was a real nut case and had to be restrained for 72 hours, most of it by yours truly!  On the plus side, when "normal" has been restored it is truly blessed.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Glad everything is back to "normal" rich

Anonymous said...

Glad you're both on the mend!  Wondering if there's a VIVI category for "Too Much Information," though?  ;-)  Albert

Anonymous said...

{{{{{Anne}}}}},

What a delightful post!  I'm glad you are well and that Doc is getting much better! I probably should be ashamed to admit this, but I have a flatulence fetish and the contests between Doc and Henry just cracked me up! It must be that when I was growing up I was the only girl for a while and I had three older brothers living at home at the time!!

I love how you and Doc grossed each other out....I have that kind of relationship with my Mark and I just delight in his 'maleness!'   So good to have you back!

Vivian