Summer is upon us and many will be planning picnics. Barbeque, hamburgers, steaks, Nathans Hot Dogs maybe some lemonade or a little wine....whatever, the season is here. In Kansas it's already hazy, hot and humid. (The 3 h's) It's also ANT season. Those darn pests! Oh, you think I am talking about the little varmit in the picture? NOPE, not at all. The ant I am talking about lies in your brain.
A.N.T. (automatic negative thought) or as I like to say....another negative thought. I like to think that it has something to do with my upbringing or my genetics....well maybe it does, but so what? If you still have them, then what good is blame game? It's a conditioned response. EXAMPLE: If I have always gotten a sunburn when out in the sun, then why go out it the sun? Right? (NOT)
So, just like I need to start some kind of exercise program....<sigh>...then by golly, I need to get rid of my ANTs. I need to train my brain. Now that is indeed a scarey thought....training ones' brain, but it can be done. I'm off to a pitiful start. My mother called the other day and left a message on the answering machine. Let me tell you that in the last 37 yrs. she has maybe called me a small handful of times. So, it was up to me to call her back...<sigh>....I looked at my husband and he said, " NOW, Be positive!" OK, I answered, "I am postive that SHE will be negative!" We both laughed and he even agreed that that was a strong possibility. After talking to an online buddie, Andi.....(Artloner).....she gave me some good suggestions to take control of the conversation. Guess what? It worked! This is the first and only conversation that I ever remember that my father wasn't mentioned. (Thank you God!) She talked about HER health, not mine. People, I gotta tell you, the woman is 75 yrs. old and only takes an asprin a day. She drove herself to the ER back in FEB. and when they did they took her medical history they couldn't believe they were dealing with a women who didn't take any drugs, didn't drink or smoke and still mows her own lawn. In short, they ran every test they knew to run and they couldn't find anything wrong with her. (I really hope my new grandaughter, Bella, will be this strong!)
When she started to get negative, I changed the subject and it worked. Somehow, we have changed places and that is a good thing.
I once asked a very good older friend of mine, how she stays so young or what her secret for staying young is and her answer is devine. She said, "The secret of staying young (when you start to get older) is to get younger friends." It's true. I have great friends who I so dearly treasure, Paul, Becky, Marilyn, Punch, Vivian(old enough to be my sister) and others in my life, who were there to guide me when my parents were unable to do so. Plus the added benifet was to be able to see them as healthy and happy people......who adore their spouses. God has provided that for me and I thank him.
Now, the situation is turning....and it's time that I cultivate friendships that involve younger people. I have over this year and J-land has introduced me to some wonderful people. I think and pray for a lot of people who I have had the privledge of getting to know over the past year. I have learned so much from each and everyone of you. EVERY single one of you have helped me kill my ANTs without RAID..........and for that, I am truely grateful. THANK YOU!

10 comments:
What a wonderful and uplifting entry....great ANT control!
My mother is a complete downer too. On a good day...she's completely flat. I'll have to give this technique a try.
I love the disco ant! Too cute!
It's hard to get rid of negative thinking, but you can do it. You are a very strong and positive woman, believe it or not!
Exercise will help. It will give you something to laugh about....xxoo
oh Anne, where do you get Nathans? I love them, and haven't found them locally. My friend in the Washington, DC, area sends them to me for my birthday.
thanks for the email Anne, we think you are the cat's pajamas as well!!!!! xoxoxoxox, judi
Loving the animated ant!
Anne, thank you so much for the email... yep, I've got those A.N.T.s too-- probably from my Mom... who probably got them from HER mom! I am learning a VERY new skill: how to be grateful for things. It's making a huge difference in my life. Still battle the brain though. Thank you for writing about this! xxoo, Albert
Anne, I love the ANT idea. As a depressive, myy brain has ants, too, and I will use the idea to look more positively at life. I know when I do, life feels better. Thanks, Margo
Great entry Anne! yep we all learn and inherit our parents negative thoughts it was with my spiritual journey into metaphysics that i got tuned into mine i took me awhile, but i'm far better nowadays than before i know you can conquer all those negatives and on occasion mine pop up again, but it's easier now to stop them i'll say a prayer of strength for you~kbear
It's catching those pests when they first start to show up...that's the trick.
I have never considered you a "pest" or negative. You are always a positive in my life. I'm glad you figured out a way to have a conversation with your mother.
Candace
ANT I happy for you!! I always "hung" out with older people, then, BAM, I was the older person, and yes I have many younger friends! It does keep you young. rich
Post a Comment