Friday, June 24, 2005

STUPID LITTLE MAN

border=0

"You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do."
-Tom Cruise to Matt Lauer on 'Today'   Shall we all book our appointment with Tom Cruise or the Church of Scientology? Just because this man has read a paper about psychiatry (probably published by the cult!) does NOT make him an authority. I think of all the diservice that his words can do. It makes people who take very necessary medications feel like they should stop or even WORSE it increases the stigma of serious illnesses. I mean WHO wants to take pills or see a therapist? But those that do, go on to live very fulfilling lives.  I read the interview with Matt Lauer and watched it and I am appalled. Whether you have depression, panic disorder, OCD, ADHD, PTSD,  Bipolar or Schizophrenia or the countless other brain disorders, ya really don't need a lecture by a person who is arrogant enough to think he knows all about these because he has read a paper about them.   I am sick to death of celebrities, politicians, relegious zealots or people who don't know anything about what they are talking about telling me or others that we are wrong and we don't know what we are doing, because we haven't studied it like THEY have.  Am I the only one who has noticed that Tommy boy suffers from delusions of grandeur? Also he seems a little MANIC to me. I think he is on the verge of a real breakdown.  Gee, I hope he never goes off the deep end and needs a little help from somebody other than the cult he is a memeber of.    I don't know, but some people just need a good ass-kicking every now and then and HE is at the top of my list. I hope his movie bombs!  Here is a good list and I can add my name to it....Brooke Shields, Lionel Aldridge....Elizabeth Ashley.....Beethoven.....Robert Blake....Barbara Bush.....Dick Cavett....Winston Churchill....Rosemary Clooney...Charles Dickens....KirkDouglas....Patty Duke...Thomas Eagleton...Betty Ford...Benjamin Franklin...Earnest Hemmingway...John Keats... Vivian Leigh...Abraham Lincoln...Kristy McNichol...Michaelangelo...Bette Midler...Mozart...Issac Newton...Eugene O'Neill.. Jackson Pollack...Rod Steiger...Mark Twain... Vincent VanGogh...Mike Wallace...Walter Cronkite...Tennessee Williams....Virginia Woolf.. Robert Young.... Jane Pauley... Linda Hamilton... Tatumn O'Neil and ME....just to name a few who suffer from a brain disorder/mental illness. I am sure there are a few of you out there in J-land who could add your name too. BUT first, maybe we should all consult a self-proclaimed guru named Tom Cruise.................(stupid little man)  

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to go see his movie but after his speech calling us all liars who suffer from depression, I would not go see it if you paid me.
He is a creep, who needs some help from Dr Phil to help him with his relationship problems.  Katie is too young to fall for his crap.
What happens when she is not young anymore?

Anonymous said...

this is when Ignorance is NOT bliss!   NO ONE really knows our illnesses like we do except our psychriatrists and therapists!   who the hell is he anyways or anyone with the same attitudes!   considier the source and keep on truckin'....people such as he i don't waste my time and energy on   they're not worth it...take care   add my name to the list....~kbear

Anonymous said...

You can add my name to that list.The wonderful thing about celebrity is that stupid people get to show just how stupid they are on a very large stage.

Anonymous said...

This is the first I heard of this.  In what context did he feel he needed to make such a stupid statement?
Virginia

Anonymous said...

Bravo!  Well written.  I think he has been REALLY cocky lately, and I'm not even sure I like him anymore.  His antics on Oprah made me think he needed to be in a looney bin!
~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

I saw his interview with Matt Lauer on MSNBC. What an ass! Because he has 'read" something, suddenly he knows better then professionals who have spent their entire lives working with the problem, not to mention people whose lives have been saved through therapy and meds.......put my name on the list.
Candace

Anonymous said...

I wonder how he will feel if one of his children has a serious illness that requires care beyond that approved by his cult?

Add me to the list, girl. I have battled depression before. I haven't been ashamed to get help for it.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

See what "meds" he's gonna need when his little "young" bimbo wants to go out dancing, in 20 years or so! Of course, they'll never last that long, she's just using him to further her career, BUT, LITTLE MAN is to ARROGANT to know!! Good entry!! rich

Anonymous said...

Add me to your list-of those who take meds and see a therapist because of mental illness and those who think Tom Cruise has crossed some line into self-delusions! Margo

Anonymous said...

Well, Anne.... so much to say, so little space. Add me to your list, I have PTSD and spent 6 years in therapy (2 concurrent years in a group setting) to heal from child sexual abuse.
I would say that Tommy is certainly acting manic... the whole jumping on Oprah's couch thing and the elated/raging mood swings. So glad he's got scientology to cling to. I wish I had seen the whole Matt Lauer interview....... I only saw the aol clip, but I certainly doubt he (an actor) was reading any real scientific paper... I look at Virginia's scientific magazines and spend most of my time looking at the pictures..... they are way over my head. Most likely he has looked at some propaganda piece his church has produced and is buying whatever it is saying. As for him knowing the history of psychiatry............... huh?????
I was appalled at all the bad press that Brooke Shields got when she bravely and honestly came out and wrote and talked about post-partum depression--- I have had friends who have dealt with it and it is truly frightening. How dare Tommy even begin to think that he is some sort of authority. He will never suffer from it, and I hope that IF he marries that she never does.... because he will not get her help.
This whole thing is very off-kilter and scientology is looking more and more cultish to me. His out of control anger is not helping either. It seems to me that Steven Spielberg may soon have cause to regret this association if Tommy doesn't get hold of himself.
The marriage thing...... his two previous marriages were to STRONG women.... anybody else notice that?? This young girl is going to be easily steam-rolled and I think that is a part of what has him so excited.... the little man doesn't feel so little now.
Good for you for writing Anne.
argggghhhhhh.
judi

Anonymous said...

I was astounded by the drivel I heard Tommy Boy spout as I watched this interview.  I could not believe he felt the need to comment on anything relating to Brooke Shields on a national forum or about a profession he obviously knows little about.  I used to live within 10 miles of the Scientology headquarters in Pinellas County, Florida.  They scared me then and they scare me now!  BTW, thanks for you nice comment in my journal.
Sam

Anonymous said...

When I first read your post, I hadn't heard about most of this (I watch little TV).  Now I know what you are talking about and your anger is justified.  Have assurance though, clearly Tom is dealing with mental health issues right now.  His karma in all this is going to kick him in the ass and after a rough time, if he is honest, he will have a lot of apologizing to do.  Some of the biggest homophobes are closets gays.... just as Tom's attack on mental illness is a very thin veil over the issues he is currently dealing with.  Let him go on his downward spiral.  That's his path and his lessons to learn.  Hopefully when he is out the other side, he will apologize.

Peace,  Virginia

Anonymous said...

I certainly missed that interveiw. You are the second journal I have seen reporting on it today. With War Of The Worlds coming out on Wed., you would think his PR people would be raining him in a bit.

I have never been on anti-depressants, but I have friends and family members who are. Their reasons are many, everything from sexual abuse to the loss of a child. I would never judge these folks without walking at least a mile in their shoes first. That's the rule of thumb I try to live by.

I also enjoyed your post below.

Take Care,

Gabreael

Anonymous said...

He's an idiot and there sure isn't a pill for that!

Anonymous said...

OK tell us how you really feel...LOL  

I'm with you though: celebrities have a way of becoming authorities on everything, simply because they are famous. Same with politics...I CARE what these folks think?


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Whoah Anne, you go!  It astonishes me that he still going on TV spouting this crap.  Shouldn't he just be promoting his stupid SUMMER MOVIE?  I didn't see the Lauer interview... makes me wonder what professionals in the psychiatric community are saying right now.  --Albert

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO!!!  This closeted midget needs to just shut the hell up.  Did you know that Scientologists believe we are all reincarnated from aliens who landed on Earth thousands of years ago and currently live beneath some volcano.  

Anonymous said...

..yes...and if his Scientology is so great....why does he flit from woman to woman...seems to me that is his drug of choice..I agree with you...he's a numb skull....E

Anonymous said...

TOM,LISTEN TO AN OLD MAN,RETIREDFIREMAN 32 YEARS,BEFORE THAT WAS AN INFANTRY PARATROOPER IN THE 82ND AIRBORNE DIVISION,LOTTA WATER OVER THE DAMN LAD...I WAS READING ALONG ON MY COMPUTER THE LAST FEW DAYS AND YOUR NAME KEEPS POPPIN` UP HERE AND THERE,SO I READ THE ARTICLES,I ALWAYS TAKE MY GRAIN OF SALT AND UNDERSTAND THAT MUCH,IF NOT ALL YOU READ AND HEAR IS LITTLE MORE THAN "HOT-AIR" ,WANTED TO RUN A FEW THINGS BY YOU ,FIRST,HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT YOU WERE A GREAT ACTOR,PEOPLE WILL CONTINUE TO GO TO YOUR MOVIES AND ENJOY YOUR ACTING,IF I WAS STILL YOUNG AND HAD JUST FOUND ME A GAL I WAS GONNA MARRY ,I`D JUMP OVER OPHRAS CHAIR TOO! AND SO WOULD A MANY A RED BLOODED BOY I KNOW OF ,MOST OF US DID MORE THAN THAT......ENJOY YOUR LIFE LAD......I DO HAVE ONE MATTER  THOUGH THAT I WANT TO RUN BY YOU,YOU ARE OVIOUSLY WELL READ ON DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY,ETC.I HAD,OR STILL HAVE SOME OF BOTH,BOTH CAN BE NASTY CHARACTERS TO HANDLE MY FRIEND,BELIEVE ME....I KNOW YOU`VE READ ABOUT SSRI`S(SEROTONIN,ADJUSTERS IN THE BRAIN) I CALL`EM THAT ANYWAY!DID WONDERS FOR THE DEPRESSION,THAT AND THE PSYCHIATRIST BEAT THE DEPRESSION IN ME ,PLUS IT HAD SOMETHING IN IT FOR ANXIETY ALSO,KICKED IT`S BUTT ALSO...OVIOUSLY,YOU KNOW A PSYCHIATRIST IS AN M.D.,BEFORE HE OR SHE BECOMESA PERSON THAT WORKS ON YOUR HEAD...SMART PEOPLE LAD....I DO WISH YOU WOULD`NT SAY ANYTHING THAT MIGHT SWAY A SICK PERSON AWAY FROM PSYCHIATRIC HELP,THESE PEOPLE ,THEIR STAFFS.AND MEDICATIONS CAN DO AN AWFULLY LOT OF GOOD,BELIEVE ME THEY CAN,GOOD LUCK TO YOU LAD.......MARRY THAT PRETTY GAL,YOU LUCKY RASCAL!!!DONALD B. GORDON (#1FAN!)
                                                                                                               

Anonymous said...

Go get him girl!  It frustrates me beyond words when the very things that might make live liveable for someone, ie., meds and/or therapy, are put down and dismissed as meaningless.  I know that for myself if there weren't antidepressants available I might not be around today to enjoy lifes ups and downs.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

And he is from KY....shame on him.  I could not believe it when I heard he said this.  How did Matt keep a straight face.  Guess that is why he is paid the big bucks.  

Anonymous said...

I agree with you......my son was bi-polar.....and unfortunatly he took his life
in 1999. He was 19yrs old. Medication is a MUST for some, a crutch for others,
but it's STILL very important. I to worked with mentaly ill patients.
I was surfing thru some journals and came upon yours. I have a profile on Myspace.com, under zosche973@aol.com. Nothing like yours, but it's coming along. I know this is an early entry-wow-has it been a year already? I rem'ber
when He made a fool of himself on Matt L Show! If I were Brook {yeah, right lol}
I'd say to Tom, "I graduated Cum Laud at Prinston, and you dropped out of Glen
Ridge High in Jersey!" dizarra