
I have been reading a few blogs by waiters and waitresses and find it most interesting. What I find incredulous is the madness to the method of tipping.
In these blogs, most have learned that you can't judge a book by it's cover....true! The people who come in and are dressed in high fashion and whose jewels are bedazzling are not always the best tippers. I said NOT always because sometimes they are.....there is not way to tell until the meal is over.
They said they dread the "ladies who lunch" group. Then there are the people who don't look like they can afford a lunch at Mickey D's and they show up and leave a great tip. It seems that all of us will fit into one of their categories sooner or later.
What I do know is my first job in life was working at a soda fountain at a local drug store. I learned a lot while working there.
I learned that the man who always came in on Tuesday evening with his college age daughter and had a soda and ice cream always left me a nice dollar tip. (OK, I know, I have just proved my age, but trust me, it was a GREAT tip) I learned that the man who offered to give me FREE tennis lessons, wanted to give me something else that I DIDN'T want. I learned that UK basketball players did not have to pay for their BIG meals and BIG desserts and left NO tip. I learned that the lady who worked there forever was always looking out for us who were younger and worked at the soda fountain. Little did I realize how wise Ruth was. Thank God for the "Ruths" of the world. I learned to appreciate people who left a dime tip on a nickel coke.
I learned that people who cover their lips when they talk are very difficult to understand. When you keep asking them to repeat themselves they get angry at YOU! The same goes for people who run their words all together or talk too fast.
One of my husbands first jobs was that of a fry cook ata local restaurant. Yes, I know it's hard to imagine that he went from fry cook to doctor, but it was a great motivator for him. At 16 he thought it was wonderful that they let him do the fries.......or pomme frites as they are called in pricier places now.
As an adult, I now know that the way one treats a waiter is an insight to how they really are when nobody is looking. Think anybody who can walk and talk can do the job? (then perhaps you should try it for a day) Do you think that anybody doing this job should back to school and do something else....lots of waiter people are college educated and do this to supplement their income. Ever see the ole grandma types waiting tables? Do you think she really wants to be there? Usually they work the breakfast shift. Go on, OVER TIP them....it won't make a difference in your life, but it could make a huge difference in her life.
The thing that I hate the most in life is going to lunch or dinner with a large group of people and when the check comes people throw in the money they think the owe. (I hate to admit it, but women are the worst!) Don't they realize that they had ice tea to drink, tax to pay and tip? Hey,YOU>>>>over on the other side of the table, YOU had 3 single malt scotches and forgot? I THINK NOT! Then I know people who do not tip on the total amount but deduct for the liquor and the tax and tip on that amount. For God's sake, just take the total and tip 20%. Do you realize that your waiter has to tip out the busboy and bartender? I have been known to go to the waiter directly and tip them. SOME Smart rich people become very stupid and poor when it comes to the bill. It just makes me cringe. Then there are people who just leave a dollar, like they did 25 years ago. <<<sigh>>>
You say you didn't like your meal? If you had a great wait person then let them know and they will usually handle it. You have a voice, speak up and insist on talking to the manager. Remember your wait person didn't cook your meal. There is only one time that I complained to a manager about a waiter and justly so. I also told the manager that it was the first time that I did NOT leave a tip. Funny, the person had received other complaints and wasn't there too much longer.
Here's the deal, IF you have a great experience at a restaurant, chances are it was your waiter/waitress who helped it be that way. That extra dollar or two isn't going to kill you and if it does, then what in the world are doing eating there? Remember that person waiting on you may have little kids to support or medical bills they are honestly trying to pay off. Go on and tip 20%...........it isn't going to kill you and it might just even make you have a great day knowing you have helped another person. You never know what a difference it will make. Try it, you just might like it! (Then again, I could just go screw myself!)

12 comments:
very good Anne! unless it's really bad food or really bad waiting, i always leave 20% :-)!~kbear
Good entry! I've always left at least 20%. But, some of my friends like to engage the waitress in conversation and some humor. If the waitress obliges and tolerates their humor (NOT sexual humor, mind you) then they always leave a HUGE tip! It's fun, 'cause when we go back the waitresses remember us and will make sure to join in the fun! Then, everyone is happy!
Good entry!
Pamela
I leave 20% for adequate service, and more for good. Child has told me some interesting things about groups of people and how they order and tip. I never worked in the food industry, and I know I could not handle it. I admire those who can, and do it well.
xoxo
One of my early jobs was waiting tables in a Big boy restaurant. It's given me tremendous respect for good servers. I think waiting tables is one of those jobs that are just good for a person to grow in kindness, humility and respect for others.
great entry, Anne; we always tip very nicely and we always look at our bill to see if everything is on there that should be and have asked the waitress to put things on it that she forgot to charge for (usually coffee). One time we had a waitress who was kind of "snippity". She gave us good service, but you could tell she didn't really want to be there. She didn't charge us for coffee; we asked her to include it. She did. The next time we were in, we got her again. She was all smiles this time and said "I remember you, you asked that I put the coffee on the bill the last time; that never happens". She gave us great smile with great service. I treat the wait people like they are my long lost friends and close friends with dignity, respect and integrity.
betty
Great rant. My mom was a waitress for many years, when I knew her most as a waitress in one of the show room in Las Vegasm then she wanted to switch to days and went to the coffee shop of the Sahara hotel then to the "VIP staff" kitchen (tips there were great). jackie was "ffy cook" in a greasy diner. With two cafe service tpes in the family, I came to apreciate being waited on - and to tip a little bette than expected. Paulette
i always tip 20% more if the service is exceptional. find it surprising others don't feel it's necessary to pay the server percentage wise for the service. always figured if i can afford to go to a restaurant, i can afford to automatically tack on 20% to the bill each and every time right?
I at least tip 15%, unless the
person is pure crap. I have
left without tipping a dime.
But that was only when the
waiter or waitress was just
plain terrible.
Connie
The spouse gets so pissed at me because I tend to over-tip. He's one of those "just leave a buck" guys, but I'm reforming him.
When are you coming home?
Russ
I'm with you, Anne. I don't think that alot of people realize that waiters and waitresses are taxed as though they are being tipped. So, if they aren't tipped, they can actually lose money. And I've always believed that if I couldn't afford to leave a decent tip in a particular restaurant, then I shouldn't be eating there. Waiting tables isn't an easy job. When you get good service, you should show your appreciation. Thanks for a great entry. Tina
I always tip 20%, unless the waiter was rude or terribly sloppy. I have never been a waiter, but I can see in every restaurant that it is hard work. Margo
Ms. Lovely learned early on that I am a chronic big tipper. I don't eat out on a budget - that's what grocery stores are for. I like to enjoy myself and leaving a monster tip makes me feel like maybe I made someone's day a little better. I do the same for haircuts, valets, and pizza dudes. The best tip reactions come from the high-school kids who are busting their butts at the golf courses, cleaning your clubs and cart when you finish. The normal tip is a couple bucks per bag, but I like to throw them a ten and tell them I'm big enough to clean my own clubs.
Post a Comment