Sunday, April 30, 2006

Saturday at the MALL

Every once in a while, I need to be "run" through a mall. So yesterday afternoon, I decided it was time. I drove to the valley of the suns most notable mall and went directly to Nordstroms. Looked at clothes.......then listened to the piano man they have performing there........ went down to the first floor. (Shoes, purses, costume jewelry, scarves, perfume, makeup and mens clothing.)

It's like a gauntlet running through the perfume isles and then there was a sea of women, young and old, getting their free make-overs. YIKES!!!  Brave they were, to be sitting in a chair with god knows what all over their faces for the world to see, while the young, over bleached with black roots, girl with way too much make up, is telling her how their product will change their life and love, sex and money will soon follow, AFTER the purchase of the special deal product of the day.  (sigh) Why do woman believe this? Why?  Cheaper to buy Chinese and read the fortune cookie that will tell you the same thing.

With the music blaring, and not one pair of shoes that were right, I meandered over to the mens section. I think Tommy Bahamma has a good thing going. (If I dressed my husband, I would like him wearing these clothes.) As I darted in and out of people looking for a special purchase for my son, I actually collided with a couple of people trying to find a free spot to sit back and just observe people.

Every year or so, I buy my son a pair of socks. It's a joke I have with him. It started when he was a little boy and my mother-in-law (God love her) sent my boys socks for Christmas. They HATED them and the last pair that was sent to them, was a yellow, paper thin, old man socks. They laughed so hard and needless to say didn't wear them. So my joke to my son is every blue moon, I find a pair of "unwearable" socks and wrap them beautifully and he opens them, sighs, and then gives them back to me or just leaves them. I still have them all in a box and upon my death he will receive a box with his name on it, an inside will be all the socks I gave him over the years.  It's a "gotcha from the grave" box! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  It is frightening the things that I do to amuse myself.

My favorite pair has to be the pairthat I bought at Neimans a few years ago. They are mustard yellow with black letters than say, "HA HA HA" on them. Those thing were over 20.00 marked down to under $5.oo I looked at the saleman and said, "I bet you never thought you would get rid of these, did ya?"  To which he replied, "Would you like a box for these?"   "YES" was my answer.

But I digress.......I look up and Fred, the salesman at Nordstroms was standing in front of me, asking if he could help me find anything in particular. He looked the same, great skin, white hair and his handlebar mustache. Imagine his surprise when I said, "YES, socks, but ONLY very ugly ones!" He eyes raised slightly" and I just said, it is an on going joke that I have with my son and at least ONE of us thinks it's funny.  He said, I believe I can help you.  Low and behold, we found several pairs, the first pair being way to expensive. I said, "Ugly, needs to be cheaper!"  He kind of enjoyed helping me. We rooted through the socks and decided upon a pair of high topped thin pink ones.  I told him about the pair at Neimans and he laughed. After he rang them up I asked if he could wrap them for me and he obliged. I told him how much fun this little shopping experience had been and he smiled. "Thank you Fred, You have brought joy to my life today."  He said, "May you son find them equally as amusing"  (I'm thinking he just may return these, they are so awful!) 

It's always interesting who you run into while you are shopping and Fred was a delight. I only wish he and his son could play those jokes on each other. I am posting a picture of Freds' son.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Do you remember him?   His life was brutally taken away from him 11 or 12 years ago. Ron Goldman, may you rest in peace!  The world has not forgotten you!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of leaving a box of socks to your son upon your death!  LOL

Kathy

Anonymous said...

OMGosh...that was really Ron's dad?!?!

Now I'm speechless.
Niki
journals.aol.com/thinkingoutloud/ThinkingOutLoud/

Anonymous said...

every time i see O.J. i not only think of what he got away with, but i always remember Ron and Nicole  God Bless them!~kbear

Anonymous said...

I think we all remember Ron, and what happened to him.   I'm also thinking that YOU brought some joy into Fred's life as well.    I love the sock idea.   Reminds me of a story about my mother.   I'm going to write about it now.....
~Meg   http://journals.aol.com/inquestoftruth/InQuestOf/entries/1252

Anonymous said...

:)

xoxo,
lp

Anonymous said...

OMG!!  And of all people to run into and have such a delightful interaction!  Did he introduce himself or did you recognize him?
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Ouch!  I very much enjoyed your whole sock story and your colorful shopping trip, right up to the end.  I wish he could enjoy such jokes with his son as well.  In our family it is Ernie and "Bah Humbug" articles of clothing that seem to show up every year, socks, Xmas hats, tshirts, shorts, whatever.  But somehow he gets somthing to mark the occasion.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I do remember Ron Goldman (well, not personally!). A very sad thing, and such a waste of life and lack of justice.

I love the socks thing. I am right now wearing a pair of red, pink, and white striped socks, with metallic threads, that have little hearts saying, "BE MINE." I don't wear them out of the house. I have another pair sort of aqua with citric fruit slices on them....I find them amusing also!

xoxo