Well boys and girls it is happening once again. Judith Heartsong has started her Artsy Essay contest again. I loved reading all of the entries when she would have these. In fact, I met some interesting people because she had these contests. So, be sure to stop by her blogspot and enter and enjoy reading all of the wonderful entries.
My Most Inspiring Possession
WHEN I first saw him, he was behind bars. Being in his early 20's he somehow looked older, gaunt almost. He looked as if he hadn't had a good meal in awhile and desperately needed to belong...........belong to society once again, belong to a decent family, be part of a persons' life whom he could trust and to be ABLE to love again.
NOT much is known about his earlier life. He isn't able to really discuss it and that is OK, I accept it. I do know he was abused. I do know that even behind bars he was on his best behavior. The guards let me know that he was not really considered a problem, but IF he stayed there much longer his life would be changed and not for the better. So my husband took a walk with him and decided that we could give him a chance to start over.
HOW could I let a male into my life with such an unknown background? One who had loving eyes but held his head down when you tried to talk to him and found it difficult to know the "right" thing to do! How could he live this long and NOT know right from wrong?
WHEN he first came to live with us, my husband and I were on guard, afraid to leave him alone for fear he would hurt himself. When my grandkids came over they were so young they had no fear and they opened their hearts to him. Over time, he opened his, up to us.
OVER time my heart melted too and he has taught me more lessons than I could ever teach him. I feared my neighbors would not like him because of his mixed heritage but I was wrong on that count too. In fact I have one neighbor who has let him into her life and they decided to walk together just about every evening. They claim it's for exercise but I know they tell each other secrets and talk about the other neighbors.
BECAUSE I suffer from clinical depression there have been many times that I would prefer just to stay in bed and pull the covers over my head, but he has been the reason for me to get up in the morning. He has been the reason for me to know that the unloved are NOT the unlovable. He gets me in touch with my inner child. Before him, I really didn't know that I had one. He has taught me that even though I am an adult, I have a great sense of play........even though I can't run as fast as he can or spring up the hill behind our house after a snow storm like he can, I still try.
HE is most most inspirational precious possession. He is my reason WHY I have a greater capacity to laugh and love. He is older now and we are both wiser. His eyesight isn't what it once was, but neither is mine.
AT times it is a question of who possesses' whom. His name is Latin and it means white. People of different ages remember him for the time frame in their life. "LUKE, I am YOUR Father!" (Star Wars) "What we have here, is a FAILURE to communicate!" (Cool hand Luke)
Meet Luke, he is my love and my most inspirational precious possession.

25 comments:
I absolutely ADORE your story. I know what you mean about the unconditional love. The animals teach us so much more than we can give in return. Please give Luke a big bear hug and tell him it's from his Auntie Linda!! He's so lucky to have adopted you. Hugs to you too, darlin!
Yea Luke the Wonder Dog!!!! What a wonderful entry Anne and I am so glad you decided to write and share a part of Luke's story. He is a marvelous friend and companion, and I can still see you two in the early morning light walking along the reservation border.
What a wonderful post and thanks for writing!
Judi
http://judithheartsong.blogspot.com/
LUKE the WONDER DOG! Man of great adventures! It sure was a pleasure to meet him!
Peace, Virginia
Perfect entry! Give Luke a big hug.. he deserves it!
Bravo! Is this a contest? Where can I go and vote for yours?
A 'honk' to you and Luke -- The Wonder Dog!
Russ
Great contest entry, Anne. Good luck, I hope to enter this one, too.
Sam
I know PEOPLE who would feel thrilled to be SO loved. This is a super sweet entry. ~ Mary
Very good essay about a great dog!
Lori
sorry it took me so long to navaigate here, love your words of expression. sorry to hear you deal with depression its hard, I thnks somuch for your comments of gudiance and support, and words of others helps me so very much. I love your pet luke, animals are blessings, one minute thing I love it. slows goes for me. and your words once agin, about the mood swings goodness, not the normal for me, thats why I joke about it, i added you to alerst, so bee bcak, thanks again for your friendship, god bless have a nice day
Luke The Wonder Dog captured my heart the first time I ever read about him in your journal. You have done him justice here, marvelous entry! Good luck in the contest.
Sam
Luke the Wonder Dog is incredible, and I am honored to have made his acquantance, even if he had a sore bum and we couldn't really play or anything. Nice essay, Anne!
xoxo
Oh...I get it. The love for a dog...indescribable for me...but you did a good job at it!
Nancy
Wonderful essay, & wonderful looking dog~
Enjoyed it, thanks~
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariebm56/PhotographsMemoriesToo
Damn! I thought it was going to be a naked cowboy contest and I was all ready to enter.
Artsy Essays kinda scare me.....
I love your essay - and the photo is great, too! Jon
That was good. You had me thinking that you were writing about a human being to the very last sentence. You are right about his eyes. He looks like a friendly doggy. :)
Your essay was great! I had a feeling you were writing about an animal, but you really did make it sound like you were describing a person. I loved it! ~Colleen :) http://daily-ponderings.blogspot.com
:)
We should all be so lucky as to have a "wonder" dog in our lives. Great essay hon. ~Sie
Touching.. it brings back many fond memories of a friend long since passed... A wonderful entry indeed.
<li><a href=http://apoeticdreamerssoul.blogspot.com/>A Poetic Dreamers Soul</a></li>
Anne, this essay is beautiful, well written, entertaining, and emotive. I too love your Wonder Dog Luke. Good luck with the contest. I won't enter this time, but I will check out the new site. Paulette
only one word comes to mind...... aw! -Kelly http://pixiedustnme.blogspot.com/2007/07/essay.html
Beautiful-both the dog and the essay. Margo
Touching and well put. Beautiful dog (I bet he's got some interesting gossip on the neighborhood!).
Tammy
What a wonderful tribute to a good friend!! Yellow lab? All the best! - Barbara
What a beautiful inspiration indeed. Mine is as well , Pickles is a mixed breed. She is mostly a Blk Lab with elements of Husky. She is also a rescue, a Katrina survivor to be exact. She is also my hearing dog. I never knew an animal could open up my world in such wonderous ways when I first went deaf. The hearts of our dogs are far bigger than any human I have ever known. (Hugs) Indigo
Sooo lovely!
http://journals.aol.com/psychfun/MeThinksTooMuch/
http://journals.aol.com/psychfun/somethingelsetothinkabout/
Post a Comment