Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Dentist

THE DENTIST

I admit it, dentistry has changed.They don't even have spit sinks anymore. My fear, however, has NOT changed. In order to visit the dentist whether a simple cleaning or a crown, I need sedation. Even sedation is not a simple matter for me. My ever so kind (questionable at times in this blog) husband once told somebody it would take an elephant tranquilizing gun to take me down.  (hmmmmmmmm, my guess if it was George Clooney, I'd be easy!) Unfortunately I need DRUGS and major drugs at that. It's the only time I really need them.

I got up the other morning and dear Doc discovered a mistake in the dosage.(dang it!) They were going to give me twice (hands clapping) what I needed. So, I take some, then wait until 30 minutes prior and take 4 different kind from the first dosage. Then I throw in a valium for good measure. I wait for my ride because they won't let me drive with this amount of drugs. It was an uneventful drive, arriving there in time to be met by my wonderful nurse, ANN. She takes me back and does impressions, not Joan Rivers, but the teeth kind of impressions!  I am having my last of major work done. One crown on the upper right and one crown on the lower left.

The last thing I remember is having my little piggy mask put on my nose. Yes, MORE drugs......something like truth serum or laughing gas, who knows. I resisted everything for years and when I finally agreed to have it everybody in the office cried tears of joy. After the piggy nose, they placed green glasses over my eyes and I got to listen to the radio through ear plugs. I remember doing the little Stevie Wonder head roll and drooling when the dentist walked it. I personally think he should take a picture NOW for blackmail income! I don't remember seeing him, just hearing him. OMG, did he hear me singing? "How was my trip to London?" he asked.  I remember talking about the wonderful Asian food and then something about my unfailing love for George Clooney. I remember going on and on about this part.  SIGH!  Drool, drill, music, voices and then "OK Anne, time to get up, your ride is on it's way!"

AND so I waited in the room until he arrived. I was dropped off at home and I had water by my bed, Tylenol and my remote control for the television. I zoned out. I awoke in time for some soup and more television. Out again.......until noon today. Every time I tried to read or work on the computer, it made me sleepy. And so I drifted off.Great and glorious sleep until I.................................

GOOD GRIEF..........I hope I didn't mention, while in THE CHAIR,.........that ONE night in Dubai. GASP!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooohhhhh! Maybe if I could have drugs I could manage a trip to the dentist without  feeling like I'm going to throw up! And, since I'll do practically anything (i.e. things like laying on a cool bathroom floor and refusing to move until I feel better) to keep from throwing up this is a whole 'nother kettle of fishies! LOL!

Anonymous said...

LOL   loved this!   i thought i was bad with the dentist but you've got me hands down times a thousand...glad you made it thru it all...hugz~kbear

Anonymous said...

You are too funny!  I love your story-telling!  It's so hard for me to relate since I've only ever had my teeth cleaned.  Okay, I know that's a mean thing to say.  Well, I did have two wisdom teeth pulled years ago and they put me out for that.  First experience and it was awful.  But, as you say, you're done now!  But you've always had a beautiful smile!  :)  Love ya!  Linda

Anonymous said...

I have some of the same problems with the dentist and have carefully ferreted out one that prides himself on his administration of drugs so that I feel no pain.  Yes, I have to have the complete drug treatment for teeth cleaning, too.  Still, though, you've got me beat with all the premedication even before the car ride, LOL.  Now, about Dubai...
Sam

Anonymous said...

The only thing I fear about going to the dentist is the bill.

Anonymous said...

I've had some of my cavities worked on with no meds at all.  My mouth must not be very sensitive. Uhm, ok, I am stopping now. ;-0

I am sooooo loving Water for Elephants ~Mary

Anonymous said...

The dentist who first introduced me to laughing gas became my hero. I found myself making appointments as often as permitted. The visualization of the "Stevie Wonder head roll" (Lmao) only further reminded me of the "trips" at the dentist's office.  My father, after overhearing my "gas trip" conversations with my buddies, had several appointments with my dentist, until finally, they had to remind him that he had dentures and gas wasn't an option.

Nice to see W.C. Fields again. I've seen that routine many times and it's always hilarious.

Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

Sorry 'bout hoggin' space, but I had to return to congratulate you on the "Cat That chew yout new shoes" entry (let your readers figure this one out). Do you remember the "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B" ? And... the three sisters who performed it?

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I am a baby. At least when it comes to dentistry. (part of the recovery is admitting to the problem right?)
Thankfully, my dentist doesn't worry about curing me of my babyness. I don't even get a CLEANING without my laughing gas (nitrous oxide, for the uninitiated, lol--- the piggy mask for you and me!) and they just indulge me.

Hope your mouth is all better!

Anonymous said...

Oh man.. I hate going to the dentist too!  I grip the armchair so tight that my muscles in my arms actually ache the next day!  Like I had a workout! lol  

This was the such a cute entry!  :)

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Anne, I can REALLY relate to this. The only thing I hate more than going to the dentist is going to a rap concert or attending a wedding.......   Jon

Anonymous said...

Rest assured that if you DID, your secret would be safe.  A story for inp-house coffee breaks and Christmas parties, but safe.   I have never been able to convince the dentist that I need the laughing gas.  Dang, too stoic for my own fun.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I changed dentists when I was 16 and could drive myself - the one my mom took me to used to actually hit me, telling me that my teeth did not hurt! Grrr...anyway, the new dentist got nitrous oxide when I was 17 - and he gave it to me - and I have loved it ever since. If I can talk, I tell them to turn it up. If I can't talk, we are all happy. I also get a gazillion shots. I am no longer afraid of the dentist, although it turns out that some of my teeth just won't freeze, so sometimes I know I will have some pain. Then I go home, go to sleep for a while, and no matter what he has done, I don't hurt any more. I can get a couple of crowns and several fillings done - he will call me the next day, and be shocked that I don't hurt.

Things sure have changed! Now, if they can just elminate cavities from ever starting, life will improve :)

xoxo

ps - what was your drug cocktail?