Monday, July 9, 2007

BABY IT'S HOT OUTSIDE

View from my seat of our plane.......................................................................

Having returned from hell (Phoenix) for the 4th, the hot and humid weather of Kansas feels balmy. I would like to explain to you how the heat of the desert makes you feel. First of all, it sucks all of the moisture out of your skin, eyeballs and nose. I had nose bleeds, double vision and heat rash in places one should never have a rash. The heels of my feet could sand paper walls.  So what does the Doctor tell me? "moisturize, bathe in tepid water and moisturize again."  OK, but what about my eyeballs, they are dried out?  "Drops" he yells!   OK, but every time I try putting them in my eye, I blink, so forget that. 

I felt like a shut-in. I went to the mall for 1 hour and then came home. It was even warm in the mall. When the thermometer hits 116 and the humidity level is 2% to 4% it is a new level of HOT!  The temperature inside your car is so hot that it is not uncommon for the windshields to blow up. Now I know why they have valet parking at the malls and major centers in the valley. Valet gets the shade. Touching the handle and steering wheel of your car is a Cirque Du Soleil move.

The biggest mistake people make is not drinking water. Because the humidity is so low, you don't sweat or if you do, it dries off of your body so quickly you don't realize it. I found out it is a law in Arizona that if you walk into a store and ask for a drink of water; they must give you one. I was surprised at how many stores keep cold bottled water in the back.

WE got to the airport very early because we knew it would be busy with holiday travel. Our time was spent reading and discretely listening in on the conversations all around us. I decided to get up and stretch my legs and go to the bookstore to buy more water. While walking back I noticed people coming off of a plane. A soldier walking by made me stop in my tracks and think of all the troops in Iraq and how deadly hot it is there. Last time I checked there was no a/c in THAT desert. My eyes finally had water in them, as I thought about crying, stopping myself and going on, but realizing all my complaining was nothing compared to what these men and women are going through for US.......wether you believe this war is just or unjust, they are there for US. In my prayers I wish them a safe and speedy return. I heard a mother of a soldier on the radio today and she said her son was coming home from Iraq and it takes him 4 days to get home.

I watched people pre board, the cute babies and the elderly in wheel chairs and the injured. The plane was full and I sat by the window. Doc sat in the isle. He insists on sitting in the back because it is closer to the bathroom. (OH JOY!)  We had a 13 yr old boy sitting between us. Doc started talking to him about the book he was reading. It is the history of the Old Testament. I told the young man that he didn't have to listen to him or even me for that matter. He laughed and we all settled into our books.

The flight was very choppy at first and according to my son who lives in the valley, a major dust storm hit about 20 minutes after we left. I'm glad we got out just in time. Around 9:30 p.m. I looked outside the plane and we were just starting our dissent I looked out the window to see the little towns and the firework displays. I guess they were rained out for the 4th and this was their raindate. The firework displays became more numerous as we approached Kansas City.  It was glorious seeing them from thousands of feet above ground. 

Luke, the Wonder Dog was so happy to see us and we were glad to be home. Luke and I slept in the next day.  Glad to be back in Kansas..........ruby shoes and all!

WHOOOO RAH!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We made sure the humidity was at least 80% before you're arrival...welcome home!!

;)

Russ

Anonymous said...

Lucky you!  I was driving to work one morning last week, I had to be in extra early for some reason, and the thermometer was reading 94ยบ and the sun wasn't even up yet!  That's when you know it's truly summer in Phoenix!  Enjoy your balmy weather, until you miss Phoenix so much you have to come back.
~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

I bet Luke was happy to see you :)

You are making me all excited because I might be back in AZ in a few weeks!

To put in eye drops painlessly: pull down lower lid. See how it makes a little pocket? Put eye drops in there. Blink. All better.

Child's method: Lie on back on floor. Close eyes. Put drops over eye lids. Open eyes. Drops go into eyes, no hassle.

(I wore contact lenses for about 35 years, lol - lots of practice with eye drops!)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Happy you got out of the desert!   it gets 100 degrees or more here a few days a year    that's more than enough for me   i don't know how people in Phoenix really handle it   that heat is way too much for me   ...and i recognize how much we take for granted here while our soldiers are in Iraq and Afghanistan   while my son Kyle was home it definitely made me think again   i pray for all our soldiers to come home safely...thanks for this entry and your thoughts~kbear

Anonymous said...

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells...I know someone who lived in AZ & used to put ice cubes in his baseball cap.
Anne the shut in. No. I am not seeing it.
~Mary

Anonymous said...

Man, I do NOT miss living in Mesa (Phoenix).  People thought I was nuts when I was moving to humid Florida!  My skin is thanking me!  The eight years I was there, I grew to hate living in the desert.  You could soak in a tub of moisturizer and it still wouldn't help.  Great for tanning leather (drying skin)!  One year I was there they had to shut down the airport when the temp hit 121 cause they couldn't get lift-off.  You got out just in time!!!  Besides, Luke missed you!  And I missed your journal entries!!  :)  Love ya, Linda!

Anonymous said...

It's not quite that hot here in the desert community that I live in (Southern California), but almost.  It's been about 106 and it's very dry and arid here also.  I hate it and stay out of it as much as possible, except when I'm in the pool, then I don't mind it so much.

I don't know which is worse though.. our dry heat, or your humidity.. ??

Jackie :)

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh out loud at your description of the desert heat.  After many years in the high desert (Mojave) I got aclimated to the dryness - even my eyeballs.  It does take time though.  Now I have old-lady dry eyes and use lots of drops, though I too blink them asway in no time.  The first time I went to Texas it was the first of June and when I stepped off the plane in Houston I thought I had died and gone straight to hell.  It was so hot and humid that I couldn't pull in any air.  Also, I wasn't "dry" on any part of my body for a solid week.  We left just before jungle rot set in.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh out loud at your description of the desert heat.  After many years in the high desert (Mojave) I got aclimated to the dryness - even my eyeballs.  It does take time though.  Now I have old-lady dry eyes and use lots of drops, though I too blink them asway in no time.  The first time I went to Texas it was the first of June and when I stepped off the plane in Houston I thought I had died and gone straight to hell.  It was so hot and humid that I couldn't pull in any air.  Also, I wasn't "dry" on any part of my body for a solid week.  We left just before jungle rot set in.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got home safely from you trip.  I don't think I ever want to visit the desert! lol
Lori

Anonymous said...

I had to stop reading halfway through this, and find some ice! I know what you mean about that kind of HEAT!
Glad you weren't roasted through...medium-well is survivable, right?