
Have I ever told you have much I love New Jersey? I have several New Jersey people who read my blog and I thought it would be a good time to write about the state.
It was a shock to me to find New Jersey a wonderful place to explore and delight in the wonderful things it has to offer.
Years ago, when I belonged to an international antiquing group called "Questers" my friend Marilyn talked me into going to the convention. It was held in a suburb of Newark. I really didn't want to go, because. dang...........it's New Jersey........who goes there? Then I thought people probably think the same thing of the states I have lived in. So, I begrudgingly went.
New Jersey is the most wonderful surprise I have had. (IF you can get out of Newark airport.) After landing in Newark and running for the nearest restroom, I was told in Spanish that it was closed. After trying to tell them of my urgency (I've had 4 bottles of water) I was told, "NO coprende" OK, I know I should have waved a five spot and yelled back at her..........comprende(?) but I didn't. I walked/ran about a half mile down to the bathroom that was available.
I drove the rental car and we were headed to Cape May at the tip of New Jersey. It waspouring down rain and I begged the passengers spotting me NOT to miss the sign or we would be headed into N. Y. CITY! One saw a sign about the size of my alarm clock and yelled, "turn here" and so after making a sharp right, we were on our way to a fun filled vacation.
I want to go back and spend more time there. We covered the state and even went back to a couple of places. Our first stop was Cape May. I've never been a beach person, but I really enjoyed this town and can't wait to go back. Great old victorian mansions that are mostly B&B's now.
We took the back road through the farm fields, thus knowing why it is called the "garden state" In fact, I am enjoying some wonderful New Jersey blueberries today. Every bite reminds me of that trip.
We went to our convention sight and then took a bus trip to Chester for some antiquing. Once again, there wasn't enough time to really get into the enjoyment of the area.
We took off on our own a couple of times. We went to Princeton and I fell in love with that town. IF I were a young woman today, THAT is where I would want to go to school. The town was charming and inviting........wouldn't mind living there.
There was a tour that filled up fast and we didn't get to go, so once again, we took off on our own, went there and begged for a private tour and to our shock, we got a little mini tour. I think she was afraid I would take one on my own and they would have to call security. It is just a couple of miles outside of Morristown. While we were in Morristown, I noticed on every corner, dogs with their service blankets and harnesses on with their handlers. The Seeing Eye Dog Foundation is located right outside of Morristown and the trainers take their dogs into Morristown to practice with them. This place is the original Seeing Dog Institute and the only one to be able to use that name. The woman was so gracious in explaining how this place came to be and about the first dog who came over to the USA.
The first dog was a German Sheppard named Kiss, but the man said he couldn't have a dog named Kiss, so he renamed her Buddy. This was in the late 1920's. I felt so lucky to get to see and understand the purpose of the institute. They now use Labs and even some Boxers because of people who have allergies to certain breeds. The lady at the Institute took us to the dining room to show us where the blind, while working with their dogs, eat their meals. She explained how disciplined these dogs AND owners must be during training. I asked if there were a lot of miscues in the dining room, after all, dogs do love food. She laughed and told me of a time that a person had dropped a biscuit and a dog who was at his owners feet, slowly got up and walked over, looked around and picked it up, ate it and then went back down to his owners feet. That was a big No No, but I think they forgave him, at least I hope so. I could go on and on about this place but I don't want to bore you. Needless to say it was a favorite of mine.
Morristown was a great place to antique. I saw a pair of Staffordshire porcelain dogs, circa 1890's. They were beautiful and I told my friend Marilyn that IF I won my bet that I had placed on the KY. Derby, I would buy them. I usually place my bets in Vegas because the odds are better there than KY. Well folks, I did win, but I only won $40.00. Marilyn told me, "but you said you would buy those dogs IF you won, you didn't say HOW much you needed to win!" So began my collection of Staffordshire dogs. I see those dogs and they remind me of my wonderful trip to New Jersey and my love for dogs and how it was enhanced by visiting Morristown and the Seeing Eye Dog Institute.
I enjoyed the seafood, the ocean, the people and the quaint little towns, the little local pubs and the friendliness of everybody I met. I hope to go back one day. If you ever get a chance to visit.......go!

11 comments:
Oh, Anne, it all sounds wonderful. I envy you your antiquing travels with your friends. I would absolutely LOVE it. As for New Jersey, I've always heard it's beautiful. Usually the things you hear about NJ are all the negative. I have a friend from high school who married and has been living in NJ since early 70's. I've never gotten up there to visit but I hope to. And as for your Staffordshire dogs -- man, I have always wanted a pair of those. I would even settle for a pair of knock-offs if they were decent but the ones I've seen are junk! Oh, dear, did I say I'd settle for knock-off antiques to a Quester??!!! So sorry! Love ya! Linda
Thanks for the travelogue. When I have the opportunity, I will add New Jersey on to my itinery. I don't have to visit "places" or even "shops" to find antiques, I only have to look about my home and at the "stuff" we use everyday. A few years ago my son Jeffrey informed me that I was old enough to be an antique. Now he's not too far from that exhaulted status himself. Paulette
Jersey gets as many jokes made about it as Cleveland. But Cleveland DESERVES ridicule! I finally understand the "quester" in your name now. ;)
Russ
I've never been to New Jersey, but would like to.
Lori
I'll admit I make fun of New Jersey a bit, but I also appreciate a lot about it. I love the tomatoes & the brisk walk to the ocean. I'm an Atlantic City on the marina fan & love the Italian eateries also. We have deer & cows & horses & a few mountain lions & a coyote mixing with kids in Middletown, who could ask for more? ~Mary
There are so many places I've never been. *sigh*
I love the picture. Full of character.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard
I've never been to New Jersey, but I did stay in Yonkers, once (they didn't have a Holiday Inn) . The picture is excellent ! It's a shame you don't see more homes with the traditional front porch.
I, too, have discovered the "quester" part of your name. I assumed it was from a time you served on a jury and had to remain bottled up in a hotel until you arrived at a verdict.
Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/
LOL I'm with Jim...the mystery SOLVED! Quester.
So next time in Jersey, gimme a call, will ya? :)
There is a Leader Dog school near me - I see them out practicing and learning all the time - it warms my heart enough that one of these days in the near future I will be volunteering my time there.
I have never been to NJ, but I think I need to fill that hole in my travels! You make it sound so lovely!
xoxo
anne, your screen name makes so much more sense now (i have no idea why i didn't wonder about it before). it's good to see you (i've missed you, not sure why i didn't keep up). grins to ya, debra
Post a Comment