It's that favorite time of year for most.........summer vacation. Tomorrow my 11 yr old (almost 12, he reminds me) grandson and I will hark back to my birth state.
He is excited. There was a quick shopping trip for shoes and shorts, then a dinner out and home to get packed. He's packed, I'm not.
We will be getting up far too early in the morning for me, but I am sure he will be eager and I will be anxious. I always feel better once the plane takes off and then again, once it lands. In reading an article on AOL this week, I found out the worst days of the year to drive and TOMORROW and the next day are 2 of the 10 days listed. Also the worst time of day? You guessed it, between 3 and 5 p.m... Just in time for our arrival. They even listed the worst cars to drive as far as accidents were concerned. I'm sure they will be trying to convince me to take the Doge Neon, but I'm insisting on the Toyota. Of course, I am sure Dominick would prefer the Hummer.
I finished up my dental work yesterday. I had only two teeth left to do, but those 2 were on opposite sides of the mouth and one was upper and one was lower. I do not think I will ever be able to listen to "Hotel California" ever again. It was towards the end and it there was a wee bit of pain involved. My feet and legs immediately went up in the air in a wonderful yoga pose position. I continued to think of my teeth as THE HOTEL CALIFORNIA played on my recorder.
EAGLES LYRICS
"Hotel California"
On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw shimmering light
My headgrew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
'This could be Heaven or this could be Hell'
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...
Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes Benz
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget
So I called up the Captain,
'Please bring me my wine'
He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine'
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...
Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis
Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said 'We are all just prisoners here, of our own device'
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast
Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
'Relax,' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'
After I was finished with the dentist my tongue was so swollen and the corners of my mouth were cut, from forcing the floss. I didn't get my usual drug cocktail, because I had to drive myself there and back with an errand to do also. I kept feeling my tongue and talking funny, when I stuck my finger in my mouth only to discover they had left the cotton packing in there. After pulling it out, my tongue almost was normal size.
So today it was the hairdresser and the wax lady. My cut and color isgrand, but after being waxed from A to Z............all I can say is OUCH!!!!!!!!!!! (God grant me the serenity to......helllllllpppppp meeeeeeeeeeeeee........)
On this vacation we will be surrounded by friends who I haven't seen in a long time. Vivian is making a wonderful meal for us. Then it will be on to Springfield to visit my nephew's B&B which btw is fabulous.
Dom will get to visit aunts and uncles and great grandmas....etc. I will drive through the towns my husband went to school in for years and years and years. We will also visit the area where Dom's father grew up. Sweet tea, biscuits and gravy, waffles, meat 'n taters and home made cake. fruit pies...........all waiting for us. An almost 12 yr old boy can eat A WHOLE LOT!
Then we get to go to my mothers house. I told him to bring a book. My mother lives in the past, doesn't travel. except to the grocery store, and only likes to talk about her crazy sister and my crazy (and not in a good kinda crazy either) father, who died around 7 yrs ago. She has had a most difficult past and relives it daily. This part will be my "Trip to Bountiful." Facing my past, coming to terms with it and then moving on........................"YOU CAN CHECK OUT ANYTIME.....BUT YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE."
And so it goes. TOO darn tired to spell check.


9 comments:
I'm jealous. I'd take a trip to anywhere.
I always loved that movie (and book). Hey, have a great trip to Kentucky. If you ever come this way again and have more than just a day to spend, maybe we could meet up somewhere. Be sure to tell me what you decided to do while you're here. By the way, what towns are you driving through (besides going to Springfield and Louisville?). Just curious! Have a safe and fun trip!
Lori
Be extremely safe on the road!! I once heard that "Hotel California" was about heroin addicts gathering in a "shooting gallery". Who knows?
safety honks,
Russ
I am typing thru pronounced laughter here. But the dental work & waxing...ewwwwwwwwwww.
I am sure it will all be worth it when you look great amongst the relatives & friends in that new Chanel bikini ;-). ~Mary
I finished the last of my dental work a few months back so I can definitely relate there. I think as women we tend to take care of ourselves, but when it comes to seeing someone we havent seen in a while , we go that extra mile. Have a safe and wonderful trip dear heart. As for checking in with your past, but never quite being able to leave it. I've been in that hotel of thinking for a long time. In the end we take it with us wherever we go, it becomes part of who we are. (Hugs) Indigo
I didn't read the book, but I saw the movie and I enjoyed it.
When you go to the dentist make sure you tell him exactly what you want so that he can adjust the chair.
Exactly what is the name of that yoga position when a woman throws her legs up in the air while listening to Hotel California? I may have seen it before, but I didn't know it was yoga.
Je peur des avions !
Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/
Since I've never had much dental work and I've never been waxed anywhere, I can't really relate to that. But, now, KY -- that's different! I hope you have a wonderful vacation. Sometimes I really miss that place. You've got to let me know how the weather is! It has been so long since I've been back, I know I wouldn't recognize Lex anymore. Take lots of pictures! Be safe. HUGS. Linda
The trip sounds like it's going to be a mixed bag, lol. I hope the good stuff outweighs any of the bad, and be safe! Look forward to hearing about it all when you get back. Enjoy, and feel better too!
Love ya
I hope the two of you have a fabulous time, even reliving the past with your mom. She must get lonely and look forward to having someone who will listen to her litany. I haven't had the chance to take any of my grandkids off anywhere for ages - and we haven't had any spending a week or so for the past year now. I miss them a lot. Again, have lots of fun and think of us home-bound buddies here in jland. Paulette
Post a Comment