Monday, September 17, 2007

OBSESSIONS

OBSESSIONS...............We all have them from time to time and they vary in intensity.

Right now, I am obsessed with playing hearts on my computer.  I was obsessed with the computer when I first got one.  I was crazy for antiques for a long time. It was the thrill of the hunt.  I guess that is why guys like actual hunting. 

Just mention dogs, the elderly, head vases, horsdorves (who knows how to spell that word), champagne, Napa Valley, New Zealand, Italy, George Clooney, a cosmo, Doc (when we first met and for a long time) a good read, horses, did I mention dogs(?) New York City when I was in my 30's, french baking, London, blogs, Law and Order, SVU, did I mention dogs(?)  a parade with soldiers, did I mention George Clooney(?), getting a GREAT massage, girlfriend time, did I mention dogs?, and finally chocolate. My eyes will roll around, over and over in my head like a cartoon character with just the mention of these things.  

Obsessions come and go. I would hate to think that an obsession with a person would lead to an unhealthy relationship, but I have seen it time and again.  It's almost always one-sided. 

So tell me, do you have an "obsession"?  Or have you had an obsession.  Is there a 12 step program for it?  Is it a temp. in your life?   

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

While dieting I have been obsessed  by my weight, going and getting on the bathroom scale many, many times a day.  I made a real effort to be bulimic at one point (or perhaps even two or three), but could never actually throw anything up, so that obsessive behavior never lasted long (thank God).  I do have fancies that come and go, sort of like clothing styles and hair color.  At one point all of my clothes were turquoise, black, white or maroon.  At anyother, purple and pink dominated and yet another black, white and grays.  Now I try to keep the color palette a little more diverse.  Did you enter Judithheartsons contest?  Thanks for the link to her blog, I've "signed up", will visit it from time to time, but probably not enter anything, at least until next month.  At the very least she poses some could material to muse on.  Take care.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Well, if I could just become obsessed with something that would really pay off somehow!  When I first got the internet (1997) it was because one of my coworkers talked me into trying it and checking out ebay.  Whoa, now that was an obsession for a long while.  I started out by buying.  Then decided I needed to sell to be able to afford to buy.  I'm currently obsessed about redecorating my house.  The only hang-up I have is that I don't have the money to just go pick out everything I want.  So, it's going to be a very long-term procedure.  I notice I'm even dreaming about painting my walls!  Trouble is, I'm obsessed with the desire to hire somebody to do all the work!!  LOL.  I went through an antique obsession.  Now, it's more like a love for various antiques!  YOU introduced me to these journals.  I'm finding that I don't have the time to read and respond to all the ones I want to.  And I barely have time to occasionally post something myself.  This one I blame you -- and thank you!!  Love ya!  Linda

Anonymous said...

i do so identify with this.  at the moment, i am rather taken with the new glass bakeware i had gotten two weeks ago.  and making quickbreads and casseroles and other homey things like that.  in a few weeks, i'll probably move on to the crockpot.  ya might even say it's an obsession (i actually was timing when my visit with my friend was over so i could come home and bake!)  grins, debra

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt i've had my obsession with dogs   i had 6 at one time   sometimes i'd like to have a ranch full of them  another obsession i think are hooded sweatshirts   can't seem to say no to any of those...lol   these are a couple   i may have more   hugz~kbear

Anonymous said...

You're preaching to the choir here, honey!  I'm obsessed with playing video poker online.  I also rewatch the same movies over and over and reread the same books many times.  I think it's a comfort thing.  Or maybe we're crazy.  ;)

xxxooo
Russ

Anonymous said...

Most of my obsessions are a secret. Some of them are legal. NONE of them have to do with George Clooney........... Jon (of the Miles)

Anonymous said...

The Internet, including journals and blogs.  Huge addictions.  And don't you DARE put me into a 12-step program for that!

Anonymous said...

And the worst obsessions are the ones where you KNOW you are obsessed and can't help yourself <LOL> I do it occasionally with games, ZooTycoon2 is my current obsession..... But then there is the internet, blogs, (Bloglines <g>), my camera..... <sigh> Yep, they go on and on. It's a wonder I ever get any -work- done!!

Anonymous said...

I used to be obsessed with the soap opera "General Hospital", back in the 70's and 80's.  I mean it was bad!  I actually became a fan club president (don't laugh.. it's hard work!) for one of the stars on that show.  I worked my butt off, because he had so many members.  Anyway.. I've been obsessed with Ireland. still am.. and plan to visit there someday.  Right now though.. I am obsessed with YOUTUBE!  I love it!

:)
Hugs
Jackie

http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/

Anonymous said...

I feel perhaps too much reflexive filial duty.  I get obsessed with doing things 'the best way possible' for my Dad.  ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Current obsession....eye drops following cataract surgery.  It started out 3 different drops a day, 4x daily(totals 84 per week).  Then 2 different drops a day,3xdaily, (totals 42per week)  Just when the routine was becoming familiar, I got 2nd eye done, so now I am back to the 84 a week for the new eye., plus gradual cessation of other eye!  Is it worth it...absolutely!!!  And I play hearts, too, between droplets.

Anonymous said...

I am addicted to massages by my vampire....maybe lingerie.....a few activities, perhaps....xoxo

Anonymous said...

Being obsessive-compulsive, I easily become obsessed. Probably one of my favorites is dark chocolate et je mange hors d'oeuvres aussi !

Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

I am obsessive-compulsive, and I have a very addictive personality.  Thankfully I have never tried drinking, smoking, drugs, or gambling.  But I can be addicted to games and computer use if I'm not careful.
Lori

Anonymous said...

I try not to think I am obsessed with anything. I guess I am in denial! LOL You won't drag me to any 12 step program though. My weakness is wine. I love good wine sitting around chatting with anyone that wants to share some. I am addicted to online games. I have neglected my journal because of them! maybe I do need a 12 stepper!

Anonymous said...

I have been obsessed with playing Hearts on the computer also.  Except that my game actually cheated.  I know this cuz I passed the Spade Queen to the RIGHT and the card was played by the player on my LEFT.  I've also gone through MaJong (several different versions), Cribbage, Spades and a whole slew of solitaire games.  Also like crosswords and other word games, which take their occasional turn.  If I were home more I'd be able to spend more time obsessing on stuff.  Happy New Year.  Paulette