Sunday, October 14, 2007

It's All Over but The Shoutin'

EXPIRATION DATES

I was reading the paper today and I found a poem by Janice Kroll who lives in Independence, Mo.  I have thought about it all day.  Not many would feel the intensity of it like I do; like she does. 

It best describes my parents.........

"50 Years and 400 Miles'

"He was mean to me for 50 years," she said softly.  "I don't want to lie beside him when I'm dead."

I tucked her into a hillside in Nebraska. He sleeps in Oklahoma.            

I stand guard between.

 

I know my Mother doesn't want to lie beside him. How does one know what to do?  She is as healthy as a horse, but she is getting on in years.  So what happens?  How do I approach this subject, without her killing me first?

SIGH!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My parents ar both deceased and they got along well, all things considered. Dad passed first and the day that Mom was dying, she asked me if she was dying. I told her no. Why should I put that burden on her when the burden of dying itself is a tough row to hoe.

I wouldn't tell your Mom anything. Our parents took care of us when we were helpless and they didn't ask us anything, they just did it. When it's your Mom's time, you'll know what to do.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I say don't tell your mother anything either.   Just take care of her after she's gone   you'll know what to do when the time comes   God bless  hugz~kbear

Anonymous said...

This stuff is never easy.  I hope it turns out to be one of those things you won't have to decide.  Hugs, Linda  

Anonymous said...

You'll know.  You are a good woman, Anne.  You'll know what to do. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad my kids don't have to worry about that.  Being divorced for 20 years, and not planning on ever remarrying, so where I'm buried would never be an issue.  Also, I want to be cremated, and my kids wish to divide my ashes into fourths.  For once in my life I will be able to keep an eye on all of them.. all at the same time! lol  Sorry.. not funny I guess.. but, I am a bit warped.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

You know I'm one of those that believes there is nothing after death...so I've never been overly concerned what happens to my carcass.  I know you'll make the right decision about all this.  You're a smart woman.

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine having to decide something like that, but I'm sure you will make the right decision.   I suppose if it were me, I'd have to honor my mother's wishes.  It just wouldn't feel right otherwise.  Of course, there are other family members to take into account, and they may not understand.  I sympathise with you.  Take care.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Powerful and to the point isn't it.  I know that if Ernie dies before me I will hav him cremated.  I had planned on taking his ashes to his family farm and scattering them among the old growth trees, but my daughter says "why spend so much, he would be happy scattered under any trees in a beautiful setting".  Point well taken.  I think he would prefer a box and a cemetary plot, but not me.  Now, if I die first I want to be cremated and by golly he'd best do my bidding or I'll haunt him for a long long time.  I hope you find peace from your own pain.   Parents often just don't understand the trouble they cause.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

What happens after she is gone is done to make the living happy, you know?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

You will know what is right when  the time comes, I'm sure of it. My mom is giving her body to a hospital for students to study. We'll get her ashes a year later, and divide them to be scattered where the ashes of her beloved dog, Denver, went. My father's ashes will go to PA where they have a plot. Odd, eh? It works for them. Margo