Monday, October 29, 2007

Update on Luke, The Wonder Dog

UPDATE

I arrived home very late on Saturday night. I am so very grateful for the friends and neighbors that Luke and I have. 

His back left leg is swollen, from his paw up to under his leg.  He has had fatty tumors but this one is hard and the size of a soft ball. It also feels hot. His ankle was extremely swollen but that has gone down along with the size of his paw. He runs a fever also. 

On Saturday the VET took tissue samples along with some blood and liquid in various parts of his leg. He sent them off for a Vet pathologist to read.  He now has more medicine than I do, but hope the antibiotics work.

What happened?  Nobody knows.  He started limping and then couldn't jump in the car and then couldn't walk. My friends and neighbors had to carry him in the house.  His hearing isn't as good either.  It could have been a spider bite (brown recluse) tick (he has been vaccinated for Lymes disease) trauma of some type, snake bite, (he goes to a park twice a week) or cancer.

Late last night I took him outside and he actually walked around the block.  Also he walked around the block at noon today.  Usually he has been just walking a few steps before going to the bathroom.  He has a terrible time getting up, down or going up a step...........but he can IF he shifts his weight.

So I am sitting by the phone, waiting for the vet to call to find out what is going on.  In the meantime, I'm trying to get him to eat and drink.  

I'll keep you posted...................            Anne

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that he seems to be doing a little better!  Please do keep us posted!

Prayers for your sweet little guy

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Poor Luke... Sometimes you never do figure out what caused the 'mystery' problem and just have to be happy that a general antibiotic fixes it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anne, I'm praying for Luke's full recovery.  I hope the vet can determine something from the tests.  Please keep us posted.  Hugs to you and Luke!  Linda

Anonymous said...

I'm terribly glad for you and Luke that he seems to be healing.  I'll pray to whatever powers that be that he continue on this path.  My thoughts are with you.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

He seems to be recovering if what you're observing is correct. My hopes and prayers are with you and Luke.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update!   i pray this is nothing major   my heart is with Luke and you as you get thru this   HUGZ~kbear

Anonymous said...

I don't think it could be cancer based on the fever and the sudden appearance.  Hope the meds work fast!

Honks to you both,
Russ

Anonymous said...

anne, i hope he gets to feeling better, cuz i know that'd help you feel better.  shaddow is a lab and she sometimes has a rough time getting around (early hip dysplasia, the breed is known for it); but she hasn't had the cysts and things.  i hope luke feels lots better now that his anne is home!  grins girl, debra

Anonymous said...

I hope the Big Guy gets better. Scorpion?

I also know a co-worker who lives in your parts has these things all over his property:

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0407/feature5/index.html?fs=www7.nationalgeographic.com

Buddy sends his best to Luke Desertwalker.

Anonymous said...

Anne
I'm so sorry to hear that Luke is having a tough time.  It sure sounds like a snake bite to me, but I am no vet.  I'll keep Luke in my prayers while you wait for the results of the blood work.  
Sam

Anonymous said...

Aww poor ol' thing..hope he gets better soon...
Lyn

Anonymous said...

I am late on this, I hope he's ok?
Gaz xxx

Anonymous said...

I hope there is another update, and a happy one!

xoxo