Sunday, October 7, 2007

SMART CAR

YESTERDAY, I STOOD in line for 3 hours. That's right folks, 3 hours! I didn't know that it was going to take 3 hours but after an hour and 15 minutes I decided I might as well stay the course. 

THE SMART CAR is making it's way across America. It was originally invented by Mercedes Benz and Swatch. It was in our area and I wanted to test drive the car.  It was very hot here, but the saving grace was a breeze. We were standing in the sun for more than 1/2 of the time and thank goodness I brought my paper fan. Also the water and fruit that the hosting dealership put out for the people in line was a Godsend.  

I have to say, if it had not been for the 4 bottles of water and the banana that I consumed, I would have passed out.  The test drive was supposed to be for reservation holders only but it was leaked to the press and I guess people still read the newspaper because it seems that there was a huge crowd there. When I actually got in the car to drive it, my SMART CAR representative, told me where we would be driving, including the interstate.  I told her that I had bathed, creamed, powered, sprayed and fluffed ALL parts on me, but after spending 3 hours in the sun, I had to control of HOW I smelled.

We started off on our drive and I heard a car honking at me. It was Doc, he had gone before me and he was waving like a little kid. I ignored him, as usual.  I didn't dare even look for the horn. I was happy with the drive and plan on getting one as soon as they are available.

Back at the end of Jan or first of Feb. there was a little teensy tiny ad in the paper with a web site to visit. I then decided to put a fully refundable $99.00 deposit down on a car and Doc did too.  It looks so small, but it gets GREAT gas mileage. You may think it doesn't look safe, but it is safer than most cars.  The parking is great. I have been known for my parallel parking in BIG huge cars and trucks, but this will really be a breeze. Think you can't fit in it?  Think again,it will accommodate a person as long as they are under 6"7".  They can go up to 75 miles per hour. In Arizona that is the minimum on freeways through the valley.  haaaaaaaaa  Around 75,000 people in the USA want one and are on the waiting list.

They start at right under $12,000.00 and go up to around 17,000.00.  It is the perfect run around town car.  The last time I filled up my van (last week) it was about $60.00. When I was in London the first part of this year, they were all over the place.  I can't wait.  I should have bought an extra one to sell on EBAY!

Now Toonguy (RUSS) can make fun of my gas guzzling SUV and Van all he wants to.........but I am getting the smallest car made, even if I did stand in a 3 hour line to test drive it.    HONK...........HONK!!


Tags:

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, my initial reaction is ARE YOU CRAZY???  But, of course, I'm looking at it from my perspective -- five days a week being scared out of my wits with totally crazy drivers every morning and night on the freeway going to and coming from work!  I must admit, this little thing looks awfully cute.  Good thing you're getting it now cause after the first wave, they'll probably double the price!!  I've driven small cars in my life.  You probably remember my yellow bug ('70 VW).  I also had an MG Midget for a while.  Man, now that was TINY!!  I guess I'm stuck with so many crazy drivers every day, I like having a bit more around me!  Oh, well.  Guess it's a sign of old age.  Uh, what dealership is selling them?  Mercedes?  ;)  Take care.  Hope you've had a good weekend.  Later!  Hugs, Linda  

Anonymous said...

I soooo want one! LOL! I haven't seen anyone offering them yet, but I will definitely be watching for them when I'm ready to replace our current vehicle!

Anonymous said...

I know I have some preconceived fixed ideas about itty bitty cars, but this does spark me anyway. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I wanted to make a correction..........they got up to 90 mph.  Doc asked me what I thought and I told him it would be the perfect car for me to go to the jewelry store in........The look on his face?  PRICELESS

Anonymous said...

I can't make fun of anybody's gas guzzler because I drive a freakin' Lincoln!  Be careful -- that car doesn't exactly scream "safe".  

Honkies,
Russ

Anonymous said...

I am from the land of little cars...UK..you are right they are everywhere over there...good for you I think they are adorable..ugly but adorable...LOL
Lyn

Anonymous said...

No way! lol  I'm a small car driver, but that's just TOO small for me!  I can't even stand to ride a motorcycle, because I feel so vulnerable.  Glad YOU like them though! lol  :)

PS  They remind me of a kitty car ride at Disneyland! lol

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Definitely a unique car. Can't see me and Doc in one, especially with Pickles always along for the ride. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

It's been a while, but I think I slept with that car during early in my career. The face is eerily familiar...short nose, a flat rear end and short on looks. Yeah, I'm pretty sure. If I recall correctly, mine could to 80 or 90 also and she got good mileage.

In the interim another happy birthday wish for you and Doc, as well ! (Did you show Doc picture #4 ?)

Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

Anne
Good for you, you eco-minded pixie!  That's a long time to stand in line, but seeing as how you have one on order I can understand why you waited.  Glad you enjoyed the ride.  I look forward to a picture of you behind the wheel after you take delivery.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Bravo!! I was patrolling a parking lot one day when I saw woman loading her stuff into one. I just HAD to stop and ask her about it. They are amazing. I hope the size doesn't scare anyone off because they are extremely safe. The entire passenger compartment (is there anything else?) is basically a NASCAR-quality roll-cage. I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

I dunno I think it looks cool as all hell...but I live in the land of HUMMERS....no way do I want to risk that on the street.  They'd probably run right over me!

Storms Whisper and Oceans Scream:

Anonymous said...

I guess you can keep it in your trunk for an emergency back up vehicle.

It does look like fun!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Have you picked your color, etc?  The Smart Car looks like a really smart choice.  I also like the Mini-Coopers.  They are just plain cute.  I'm not car shopping quite  yet though.  I did surprise my son, I told him that I want a WII for Xmas.  I may be old, but I'm still hip!  Paulette

Anonymous said...

They are so cute!  But I'm wondering...is there any room like for groceries or stuff?  I cant tell from the picture.
Love ya,
Connie

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great idea. Alas, I need to buy a used car for the next decade too soon, plus I have a hard time picturing where my walked would go. It's great, though, that better cars are just over the horizon for all of us. Margo