Monday, December 10, 2007

COUNTING MY BLESSINGS

I LOVE watching White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney.  It always relaxes me and makes me smile. Rosemary was so beautiful and so is her nephew, GEORGE CLOONEY. (my boyfriend!)  

Update...........  I haven't heard from Matt today. I do know that his doctor saw him today and that we will see him tomorrow. He asked me yesterday WHEN he would get to come home. He knows what to say to influence people.  I told him when his mind is better and he told me it was better.  Here is a fact folks, a person who has a mental illness will always tell you that. (but you want to believe that they "get it" this time!)  They are experts in telling you what you need to hear.  However I do know he is getting better because of the drugs that are being pumped into him to calm and stabilize his brain...........but he has a way to go. 

Doc has been making a lot of calls to try to find out who can check up on him when he gets out of the hospital.  Believe it or not, there are people/health professionals who do this. There are nurses who specialize in mental health that can do check ups. If he doesn't answer the door, then that is a clear cut sign that all is not well. The saving grace in all of this is that Doc is his power of attorney. When Matt's mind was working better he knew that he couldn't handle all of his healthcare needs and so he let his Dad do that and gave him power of attorney. THAT is the number one reason why Matt is in the hospital and can NOT get out until his Doctor says it is OK.  He was on medicaid for the first two years and now he is on medicare. It's part of his disability.  I guess it varies from state to state.

I would encourage all who have a loved one who suffers from mental illness......including severe depression to educate themselves by taking a N.A.M.I. course.  (National Assoc. of Mental Illness) You can find information by going to http://nami.org/ It can be a life saver. It is a course that lasts for 12 weeks, one night or day per week. The information that you will receive will help you immensely. You will be surrounded by people who are just like you, although your friend or loved one make have a different diagnosis, you will find you have much in common and face the same problems.  Want to complicate your anguish? Just add grandkids to the factor and then you will find that you will make decisions based on being able to see your grandkids instead of doing what is best for you child.  Not to worry, they will teach you all of this at N.A.M.I. They also will not endorse doctors or attorneys BUT through this course you will find people, just like YOU, who know just exactly WHO to recommend. There may be other organizations in your area who also teach you about the mentally ill. We have one in our area that has been such a wonderful organization. It is called Pathway to Hope. (http://pathwaytohope.org/)  I don't know where we would be without the loving support of this group.

Often times we find that having the responsibility of a loved one or friend with mental illness means that our lives are robbed of a joy, a sense of fulfillment or purpose. Our lives get sidetracked. Our breath just gets sucked out of us.  One wants just to stay in bed or to float down the river of denial.  This is not a good thing and perhaps you even know this but ask yourself what can I do about it? Well folks, you can get your ass to a good doctor or counselor and get on medication. Sometimes you'll find that it is just temporary and sometimes it's a lifetime thing.  After all, aren't you asking your loved one to do the same thing?  Why would you be an exception?  I am proud to say that I take medication for depression. I wouldn't be able to function if I didn't. I have had to change the type and change the dosage over the years, but it is worth it.  Remember, YOU are worth it too.

So that is my update today.  Tomorrow is another day and hopefully with Gods help and medication, I'll be able to handle it!

It's 30 degrees here and the temp. is falling. It's pouring down rain...which is going to turn into freezeing rain. Glad I made it to the gocery today.  Stay warm and keep safe.  

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful advice about finding a group in your area. Sometimes it is easy to think that you are the only one going thru something. Sometimes it just helps to know that you are not alone!

Keeping your family in my thoughts...

Anonymous said...

I've been on depression meds myself now for two years.  I probably wouldn't be here without 'em, to be honest.   I'm always interested in reading your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad the resources are there to support home-care case managing.  sometimes a visiting nurse can do wonders for the continuing improvement and functioning of the individual.  unfortunately, in my area (actually my state), there are not well-developed resources and those resources that we do have are overtaxed with too much demand and not enough supply.  some nami chapters (like up in champaign valley in the northeast and down in orlando, florida) seem to have an incredible amount of quality programs that work quite well; nami ms has made great strides in such a small period of time, with a small amount of resources.  we've been able to continue to teach family to family classes, peer to peer classes, and a class that focuses specifically on child-care providers.  because it is very important for you the family member to be able to care for yourself (as you have pointed out).  often, weekly support groups form as a result of participation in the classes, and that support can make a difference for folks.  but i'm preaching to the choir, aren't i?  winks, debra

Anonymous said...

NAMI is a fantastic organization. Absolutely wonderful! I'm so glad you mentioned it.
Take care of yourself Anne, and I hope the ice storm doesn't cause your power to go out!  Stay warm!
Love you!
Connie

Anonymous said...

I hope one day Matt can see how his illness affects others  it took awhile, but i finally saw it   mental illness is sooooo damn hard for everyone involved   hang in there my friend and don't let him out until he's ready  that is what's best   trust me i know!!!   HUGZ~kbear

Anonymous said...

Have they recommended E.C.T.?  I am a huge advocate of it -- and it is a much safer procedure than it used to be.

xxxx
Russ

Anonymous said...

Just read your comment on my blog! Looking forward to reading more of yours! Love finding new blog reads... especially right now when I should be working... lol
~Jaime
www.chasenkids.org

Anonymous said...

Our weather is about the same.  Taking one day at a time is always good.
'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

We went to the store yesterday too.  I think everybody in the area shopped yesterday!  They've predicted this mess for so long, we are all prepared.

Anonymous said...

Anne
This post was so informative.  I hope it helps some of those who read it.  Stay safe in this brutal weather that is settling over your area.  I hope the doctor has some good news about Matt.  Hugs!
Sam

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have found all these resources of help for you and your family.  I'm sure all this useful information will be well used or passed on to others in need too.
I hope Matt gets better eventually and goes on to lead a decent quality of life at last.  Its what everyone deserves. You have had a hard road to walk along...and I will keep you all  in my prayers.
God Bless
Jeanie

Anonymous said...

i hope that you hear from your son and it is calming news.....thank you for the info you included in this entry. I also LOVE George Clooney. He sure is handsome.
hugs,

lisa

Anonymous said...

It's a difficult process for all involved, and hope that given time, Matt will overcome his illness. Wishing you and yours strength.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are getting a bit side tracked :-) Especialy by George Clooney :-p
Try and enjoy the holidays. Gaz xxxxx

Anonymous said...

((Hugs)) I'm sorry I'm coming into this news later on. I just want you to know I'm here for you and understand what your going through. The hardest part for any parent is doing what is in the best interest of your child. What no one tells you is that it's never easy and almost always cost your heart. I don't know the exact reasons for having to have Matt committed, but I do know you and Doc are good people. Whatever you had to do, you did with love and compassion being your guides. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

This is a season that amplifies emotions anyway, but with what your family has to deal with~ I am so impressed that you could put aside so many reasons NOT to do this & do what needs to be done. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I was listening to Crosby's White Christmas today. I recorded a PBS special in which Rosie Clooney and a few more singers which Old Timers does not allow me to write at this time. They did all of their hits and it was nostalgic. Hope you're doing ok. Say hello to Doc and LTWD.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

Matt is lucky to have people in his life who are determined to see he doesn't fall between the cracks. I'm glad you found a few minutes for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all.

A favorite movie of mine as well.  Sisters, Sisters ...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Anne.  I am so glad that you are taking care of yourself.  I too take an antidepressant. A few years ago when, while driving, I would have the sudden and random thought of driving head-on into a semi I figured it was time to get myself taken care of.  I'm glad I did.  There are days like today (47th Anniversary, Ernie forgot) that I wonder if I'm in the wrong life, but I'm still glad to be in life.  Perhaps Matt will be well enough to either leave the hospital, or have a home pass, for the Holdiays.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I am so behind on my journals and I am sorry that it has taken me this long to get over here. Your information is invaluable to me right now as I am going through my own kind of hell with my daughter, everything is everyone elses fault in her opinion and it's why she can't hold a job or keep an apartment.  She goes through mood swings and bouts of unpredictable anger, isolates and is secretive... and unless she threatens to hurt herself or someone else, I have to stand and watch.  She's bi-polar I feel sure.  And living with her earlier this year as an attempt to get her on her feet was way more than I could handle.

I'm saving this link and will be doing the course.  I need support and backup.  I have custody of her daughter and she is talking about coming back to get her.  What this child has been through already we'll never know.

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/

Anonymous said...

(((((((((hugs))))))))))

This all is so difficult...especially at this time of year.  Just take comfort that even if you are not giving him what he wants you are giving him what he needs and that is all any parent can do.

Anonymous said...

"Heaven help the Mister who comes between me and my Sister..." never forgot this one.  Thank you for sharing these links with people, you may be helping someone in a great way without knowing it, that's a gift.  xoxo CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

I hope that some improvement and recovery is in Matt's future this new year. I know that he had to benefit from your intervention and care. I hope that it all gets better for you. You did the right thing, and he'll be the better for it. Good luck.
I had to be sure to include your Journal on my list of friends to visit for a Merry Christmas wish! I hope you have a great holiday! Love ya

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came this way via Mary's journal, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, I am a mental health nurse and am glad to see you promoting the importance of education in these matters for friends and families of those unfortunate to have to live with these often unmentioned illnesses, love to you and yours, Sam xx

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sunshines612392/wifemotherstudentmentalhealthnur/

Anonymous said...

Hey Girlfriend,
With you as my friend, I'm always counting my blessings!!!  I'm using Dick's email address, since he's got AOL.  I'm so sorry to hear about Matt and the time that he is having.  Anne, I wish he would allow me (or any of us at PTH) to visit with him.  Please know that all of you are in my prayers and always in my heart!  I love you!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Remember, Anne, I am always just a phone call away! Any time. It's a huge undertaking to be responsible for someone else, let alone someone who isn't mentally stable, but you are smart enough to understand that letting him just go out into the world to "find himself" is so dangerous.

xoxo