Monday, December 31, 2007

REFLECTIONS OF.............


Hot Weather Safety

ONE of my favorite songs that I had actually forgotten about until today is the old John Denver song, SUNSHINE ON MY SHOULDERS.  Here are the lyrics:

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy, sunshine in my eyes can make me cry.
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely, sunshine almost always makes me high.
If I had a day that I could give you, I'd give to you the day just like today.
If I had a song that I could sing for you, I'd sing a song to make you feel this way.

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy, sunshine in my eyes can make me cry.
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely, sunshine almost always makes me high.
If I had a tale that I could tell you, I'd tell a tale sure to make you smile.
If I had a wish that I could wish for you, I'd make a wish for sunshine for all the while.

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy, sunshine in my eyes can make me cry.
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely, sunshine almost always makes me high.
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy, sunshine in my eyes can make me cry.
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely, sunshine almost always makes me high.
Sunshine almost all the time makes me high. Sunshine almost always:

As I sit here typing the sun is streaming through the window and blanketing me in a comforting warmth. It's actually been cold here, by Arizona standards. When Luke and I walk at night the temperature has been in the 30's.  I broke down and turned the heat on.  I've even had a fire in the fireplace a couple of times. 

I'd like to tell you a little bit about my Christmas Day.  Doc took me out to a fine resort here in the valley for Christmas dinner.  Our reservations were at  2 P.M. and we were shocked that the resort wasn't busy. It has always been very busy in the past. This year they did not offer their Christmas buffet, so we ordered off the lunch menu.  I had a wonderful Maryland crab cake to start off with and then a seafood salad for my dinner. Doc ordered up a fine bottle of a Rose' Champaign

I noticed thatsitting close to us was a table of three. Two women and a man. One of the women was a bit older than the other, so I assumed it was mother and daughter and I was right.  The older woman asked her daughter to take her to sit next to the fireplace which was a few feet away from where we were sitting.  As I glanced at her sitting by the fire, hands clasped together, head slightly bowed from years of life, her eyes were dancing with contentment.  Doc excused himself to go to the restroom and I made a B-line to the woman by the fire.  We talked for a good 10 minutes. I still don't know her name, but she was happy that I came by to speak to her. I told her she looked lovely in the outfit with her earrings. She really did!  She told me that she had lived in Burbank, CA for most of her life and that she was 98 years old. She lost her husband of 77 years last year and had moved to the valley to be with her daughter. I asked her if she had always lived in CA and she told me she was born in a small town in Illinois. I asked her where and when she told me, I told her that I had lived there for 7 years and my children considered that the town they grew up in. I hadn't noticed that we were holding hands until I just looked down and saw that we were.  We had a lovely conversation.  I realized how very much I missed my grandmother. I showed her my grandmothers ring that I wear to always keep her memory near me. I miss my aunts too. My aunts are still alive but they are living in nursing homes that specialize in Alzheimer's. My grandmother had lived to be the ripe age of 98 but she had suffered from a stroke a couple of years before. 

 What was so amazing to me is how beautiful the woman was, how cognitive she was and how very much alive she was.  She was being cared for by her daughter who seemed to be very thoughtful and respectful of her.  All in all it was the best thing that happened to me on Christmas day.  I was reminded that grace and beauty doesn't come with an age number. In fact, I think she was the most beautiful woman in the room. 

I remember asking my Grandmother what was the most difficult thing about growning older and her answer surprised me.  I was in my 30's when I ask her, so I hadn't experienced enough of life to fully understand the impact of her answer.  She said, "Seeing all of your friends and loved ones die and being the last one left!"  Something to think about isn't it? 

I hope that everybody has a wonderful New Year.  It's New Years eve. Doc and I are staying at home, with some good books, some good wine, and some good food. May all of you be blessed with good heath, good luck and good friendships in the coming New Year.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Anne!  And Doc too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!  Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Your heart was just running over, wasn't it? You didn't even need to think about it!

Have a very Happy New Year, Anne!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

One of the real pleasures in life is when you can interject some happiness into someone else's life, if only for a brief moment. I'm sure you made the lady's day !

Warm wishes for a prosperous new year for you, Doc and LTWD.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I admire that you could go up to someone, a stranger, and speak with her!  You must have felt drawn in some way.  You probably made her day too.  Lonliness among the aged is sad, especially when most of your friends, family, partners have passed on.  What a lovely treat...for both of you!
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

I love to know that there are people out there who expect nothing in return for extending some simple down-home kindness. What is beautiful is that so many times they come away with something more valuable than any treasure, and at the same time, they have a profound effect on the life of another. All from a small gesture...not too bad, right?

I also love to know that counted among people like that is that some of them are my friends. And I like knowing that about you.

I hope you have a new year that pays you back countless times for what you did that night. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year,

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Anne!!   your Christmas sounds wonderful and i love John Denver's Sunshine too   it is one of the first songs i want to learn to play on my guitar when i get there   here's a toast to you and your upcoming year!~kbear

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely Christmas story.
Thanx so much for sharing.

The DH and I are staying in also tonight.  No place I'd rather be:)

Happy New Years to you and your husband.
Niki

Anonymous said...

What a nice Christmas gift she gave you, huh.... and I'm sure you made her just as happy!!  Good that you followed your heart and went over to talk to her.... more people should follow their hearts at times like that.  Happy New Year to you and yours.

Joann

Anonymous said...

What a lovely experience that mucst have been.   Have a pleasant evening & a Happy New year.  Linda in Washington state

Anonymous said...

Anne
What a great story to wrap the year up with.  Because you took the time to speak to a stranger, your life was enriched in just ten minutes.  Thank you for sharing this.  Quiet night here, too.  I'll say a little toast to you and Doc at midnight.  Happy New Year!
Sam

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Anne!   ~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

What a nice story for my New Year's Eve......

I hope the New Year brings you all that you need.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came by here through Just Mary's journal. I've read the past 3-4 entries here and wanted to let you know I understand about mental disorders. In time, I wish  your son to get better with right medicine and be able to live life again like he used to.
I know. I've been there..and still transforming.

Wishing you and yours all the Blessings for the New Year!

Gem~~

http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/collage/entries/2007/12/31/2007--a-year-in-review--/1769

Anonymous said...

Hooray for god wine and good food!  Happy 2008, Anne!!

love,
Russ

Anonymous said...

I have got to get my John Denver collection out again now, lol!!! Loved all his music.....especially this one!!! Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

I knew some of this Christmas tale :-) & it is just as lovely the second time around.
Gee, my Dad outlived all my Mom's family & he kind of liked that ;-0!
Great food & alcohol with almost no people. Heaven. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

That is one of my all-time favorite songs ever!!  I always loved John Denver's music.  He was great in concert.  I do miss him.  They just don't play his music enough anymore on the oldies channels!

Sounds like you got the cold weather first in AZ.  It's supposed to start moving into FL tonight and tomorrow.  We haven't used our air or heat in months.  It's  been wonderful!

What a wonderful opportunity you took in approaching that lady.  People's stories can be amazing.  

Wishing a wonderful new year for you and yours.  Love ya!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Such wondrous words, thank you Anne, for sharing this!  And for that song, which brings me back to a time of true love in all its sweetness - remembering these priceless things is the true treasure, thank you again!  xoxo CATHY

Anonymous said...

My mother and all 9 of her siblings had passed away, with the exception of my Aunt Eliza.  When visiting her, I asked what she missed the most, and she answered, very thoughtfully, but almost with aggravation in her voice "There's no one left to talk about how things used to be  ".  Always remember to ask them to tell you because it sparks the most pleasant memories for them, and you will be amazed how different from today  "things used to be".

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this entry...

Anonymous said...


Spent Christmas in Phoenix with family this year.. It was cold! LOL... and apparently we've brought the cold back with us to the southeast. happy new year. Estela (I found you through Joann's journal)

Anonymous said...

This entry blessed me.  What a sweet heart you are to speak to that lady.  What we can all learn if we just listen.  My grandmother passed at 98 years of age and was also in her right might.  Wishing you peace in the coming year, from our house to yours.


Nelishia

Anonymous said...

Reading your journal and your talking about the special lady, touched my heart and I'm sure everyone elses.  Happy New Years to you and Doc.  Arlene (AJ)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry!  You probably had as big of an impact stopping to talk to that lady as talking to her had on you.  Isn't it wonderful to see peole that old in such good shape, mentally and physically?  
Lori

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely beautiful story.  I'm so glad you followed your instinct and spoke with the woman.  It will always be a wonderful Christmas memory for you...and for her.

Best wishes for lots of love happiness and peace in the new year.