Friday, December 7, 2007

Happier Times

This was taken last year. My son and his daughter (Sedona) went to visit Santa at the local mall.  We had a nice lunch and the excitment of visiting the jolly fat man was just a wonderful event.

It was a difficult day today.  My husband and I had our son involutarily commited.  He is NOT happy.  It had to be done.  The police were wonderful.

PLEASE remember MATT in your prayers.  I am so concerned for him.  

85 comments:

Anonymous said...

prayers being said...It will help him.  It is a hard thing I know.

Anonymous said...

I know you two did the right thing.  Someone suffering with mental illness who has chosen not to take meds, needs someone to step in and make that very hard, rational decision for them.

I'm sending prayers that happier times will return for all of you.  

Love, Sie

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your son is going through this, and you, as well.

Anonymous said...

oh anne, i'm sorry.  it was a tough decision, i know.  i am glad that you are strong enough to make the decision and see it thru.  huggles, debra

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart.  Prayers going up
~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Anne.  It's such a difficult thing to.  I know.  But there's really nothing else to do in this situation.  My heart and prayers go out to you and yours.  Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

As a mom, I cannot even imagine what you are going through.  Our children are our most prized possessions and we will do anything and everything to protect them...even from themselves.  Sedona is beautiful!
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to hug you very tightly from New Jersey, Anne. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Your son and you too, will be in my prayers.  I can not even imagine the pain you are feeling, but we mothers do know that tough love is often needed.  In the long run you will feel good as you have done what was needed to help him.  May our dear Lord bless you both.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Life is so precious, so rare, I know it's seemingly unfair at times when we see the hand we're dealt in what is such a glorious experience.  Yet it's the roughest of times that make the most compassionate of people.  Hang in.  CATHY

Anonymous said...

Oh i bet that was the hardest thing for a mom to day. Father bless heal and provide miracles amen

Anonymous said...

ann , mary sent me to your journal.
My prayers are with you and your family.
What a beautiful little girl she is.

Anonymous said...

Anne, sending up prayers for your son, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

I've seen this happen, (where I work) and I know it was extremely hard for you sweetie.  Hugs to you, and my prayers are with you and your family.  It is my hope that your son will thank you later for what you had to do, and understand why you had to do it.  Julie

Anonymous said...

It is not always easy being a Mom.  My prayers are for you all.       Dawn

Anonymous said...

Anne- Your son was not happy today, but will one day thank you. I hope that day will come quickly. You did the most wonderful thing for your son and that beautiful granddaughter today. Please accept another hug from New Jersey...and prayers going up that you, your son, and the rest of your family find peace soon.
~Cathy

Anonymous said...

You do not know me but Mary sent me by.  I'm so glad.  Glean some strength from us (j-land friends) and try not to doubt yourself that you did the right thing for your son and your family.  It was BRAVE and it was strong.

HUGGING YOU AND HOLDING YOUR HAND EVER SO TIGHTLY FROM GA,

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PRAYINGANDBELIEVING/
http://journals.aol.com/nelihianatl/CROCHETED-CREATIONS/

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine the heartache you feel today, but know one day your son will look at you and your husband and be thankful.  His children will be too.  You gave a great Christmas present today that I know was the hardest you've ever given.  Sending lots of strength, prayers, and warm gentle hugs.
d

PS Mary sent me.

Anonymous said...

Anne
The doors close, the windows open.  Sometimes the things we know are right are the most difficult to accept.  Your son's face is kind and non-threatening and his daughter looks cared for and happy.  Keep this picture in your heart and soon he may just climb through that window and wish all of you a Merry Christmas.
I hope you can find some peace in this difficult time.
Dede Lichtig

Anonymous said...

Anne
This is heartbreaking news.  Such a difficult position you were in, but it is for his own good.  My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Mary sent me over... I am so sorry for your difficulty... sending you prayers... you are doing the right thing!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

I came by via Mary's journal.  You have my sincerest prayers that your son will be well soon. He will love you for this someday. He has a kind & gentle face and a  beautiful daughter. All will be well soon. Loving hugs from Barb in Texas.

Anonymous said...

The one thing that a Dr cannot prescribe, but is more effective than any medication, is LOVE.
You and your Husbands Love has guided your son into the proper hands where he will get the attention he desparately needs.

Time is a libertor, Love is a noursiher, when combined they heal.

Wishing you equal measures of both to carry you through.

Peace...Marc

Anonymous said...

Mary sent me over.  This could not have been an easy decision.  I'm sure there is good reason for this and maybe he will get the help he so sorely needs.  My heart goes out to Y'all.  Take care.

Phil

Anonymous said...

Sent over from Mary...I couldn't say it any better than marc....
Hang in there,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Mary sent me.  My heart goes out to you ... and I pray for Matt, that with help he can overcome his illness.
Best,
Marty

Anonymous said...

Tough love is hard but it works in the end. I hope it will help your son who has such deep problems. It is wonderful you are such a strong mother and woman.

Anonymous said...

i lost a good friend  to mental illness and other stuff in the end of sept.  i  hope things work out for your son.  life is already challenging enough for those who appear to have it all 'together'.  my prayers are with you and your family, esp. your granddaughter.

Anonymous said...

I pray that your finds and accepts the help that he needs to face and overcome his demons.  You're in my thoughts..

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I came over from Mary.  I know your hearts must be broken.  And that Matt is angry or heartbroken as well. You done the very best thing for your son.  I pray that his treatment will be helpful.  I will be praying for not only Matt, but for yourselves and the family.  Blessings, Penny  http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/TimeforaLittlePoetry

Anonymous said...

I came over from Mary's journal. That is such a good photo of your son and grand daughter. I wil remember all of you in my prayes and especially Matt. He is such a handsome young man. Helen

Anonymous said...

I send the both of you very strong, healing thoughts.  I hope he gets good care and is treated successfully.  I know it's not a thing that can be "cured", but it can be maintained with competent medical care.

Love,
Russ

Anonymous said...

Anne, you, your spouse and Matt will definitely be in my prayers.  This had to have been a very hellish experience for all of you.  If you ever want to talk, email me your number and I'll call!

Bi-Polar disorder is such a nasty thing.  It can fool its victim into believing that they are ok, doing fine, feeling great - until the bottom falls out.  I'm sure you saved his life by your actions, and one day he will reallize this.  I hope you find inner peace.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I, too, came over here from Mary's page.  I have added your family to my prayer list, and especially Matt.  What a lovely man he looks.  I know this must be so heart breaking for you.  (((HUGS)))
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Anne, You have done the right thing for him and also for his daughter. There is never a right time to do this sort of thing and this time of the year makes it even more difficult.
I don't pray often, but it seems when I do it works. You and your whole family are in my prayers.
He won't ever be cured as Russ says, but hopefully, they will be able to help him and give him some stability for a while.
Hugs, Gaz xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Be strong and know that you did the right thing...The doctors will be able to help him and in the long run your son will know that you did all that because you love and care about him....
My thoughts and prayers are being said for you, your son and your whole family - that alot of healing and peace enter into your lives and that your son receive the help he so needs....
(Mary sent me over)
take care
Peace--Ellie

Anonymous said...

Words would ring so very hollow. I'll pray for Matt and for your family. Please trust your decision.

Anonymous said...

In the words of St. Francis of Asissi: "first you do what NEEDS to be done, then you do what might be possible, and without realizing it, you have done the impossible."  Please know that you had to do the right thing... and you did. It's not something you take joy in doing. But take a sense of relief and comfort that you love Matt enough to intervene and do what is right. Not what is comfortable, not what is easy, but what was the right thing to do. That's always the hardest. But know prayers are being said for Matt, you, and your family...

Anonymous said...

Oh Anne, I am so sorry. I will keep you and your son & family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Guido sent me in this direction. I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling but my son has been on anti-depressants for a long time now and the doctor is not giving a date for him to come off them (not many people know that). Please know that we are all thinking of you at this time and hope he is on the road to recovery soon. take care, best wishes from the UK from Joan.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/aniracj/StrannyDayze/
http://journals.aol.co.uk/aniracj/TheBandAyleysComet/

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers and love to you and Matt...may he soon be well and home soon. Guido sent me over...take care...hugs,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Thoughts and prayers on the way for Matt and the whole family.
Martha

Anonymous said...

Sending up prayers for Matt, & the entire family at this difficult time. May God bless all.
Sugar

http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/SUGARSLIFE/

Anonymous said...

Please God for a good outcome ,lovely looking fellow ,and dear little girl ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you. I have you and your family in my prayers.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Will remember Matt and all your family in my prayers ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

I have come here via Mary. Please know you and your family (((Matt))) are in my prayers. I truly believe you have done the right thing.

Michele

Anonymous said...

Sometimes 'Tough Love' is what we have to give. Someday your Son will know that this was harder for you than it is even for him. {{{{Hugs}}}} to you, your family and especially for your son. Today he doesn't realize just how much you love him, but he will! My heart breaks for you and your family, and you will remain in my thoughts. Good thoughts winging your way.

Anonymous said...

I cannot fathom the heartbreak you must feel! Please find peace in what you had to do and know that many are here with you through this tough walk! (Mary sent me)

Angel

Anonymous said...

Bringing special thoughts via Guido....
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

As all of those before me, praying you find comfort and peace during this troubled time

Anonymous said...

Said a prayer.... xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

Anonymous said...

Something like what you did is so hard, he will know it was for the best some day.  You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.  I was sent by Guido.  Joni

Anonymous said...

I think we are all still hugging you tight, Anne.
;-) ~Mary

Anonymous said...

You ar ein our thoughts and prayers.  sybil  from UK.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife

Anonymous said...

Guido sent me over.....i am so sorry for this and will keep Matt in my prayers.
HUGS, lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne, my name is Kelly, nice to meet you. I came over from Marys journal to see you. I am sorry you are having to do this, but you are making the right decision. I hope he will get better and be able to live a normal productive life. I have a sister that we believe has been manic or bipolar for some time. We have not been able to convince her to stay on any med for any length of time and she has attempted to kill herself a couple of times now. Getting the help she needs will entail what you have done for your son. I dont know if my parents can do it, but I commend you for doing this for your son and your grandaughter too for that matter. Good thoughts and wishes are headed your way...hope things work out for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I noticed your journal in the blogs section.  I certainly will keep Matt and your family in my prayers.  I suffer from unipolar depression as does my 24 year old son.  It is all genetics.  Bipolar is so difficult to control but I pray that the doctors find the right mix of medicine.  My heart goes out to you.  I have had very few problems with my depression for many years.  It cuts like a knife to watch my son suffer.  Many hugs to you, Chris

Anonymous said...

Came by way of "JUST MARY" to let you know my thoughts and prayers will go up for you and yours. Take care and stay strong.
Katie

Anonymous said...

wow, you have so much faith in God, and I don't know how you do it.  I am currently in Conformation classes, and I am finding it really hard to find faith in anything, escpecially God.  I will definitley keep MATT in my prayers, and I wish the best of luck to you.  I really need advice on how to not lose fatih.  I also have a blog, it is called "This ain't myspace baby" so if you have  any advice for me, please give me some.  By the way, Saturday's Child is a nice poem.  Where did you get it???

Anonymous said...

Hello Anne, I heard about your journal from others.  So sorry to hear about you're son.  Hopefully with medication and support he'll be able to return home soon.  It's hard when we have to continue to watch out for our adult children.   Take care & God bless...Linda in Washington state  

Anonymous said...

Oh Anne...I'm so sorry honey.  I hope with all my heart that your precious child gets the help he needs, and I applaud you for loving him enough to do something very hard to save him.
Praying for all of you....
Connie

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you and your family.  I greatly admire your strength, though, to have done this.  Obviously it was something you felt was necessary, and you may have saved your son by doing this.  I hope he comes to realize this in time.  Please take care.
Lori

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry, I know how much you hurt, and much strength it took for you to do this.  My prayers go out to all of you.  Your son is very handsome, and the granddaughter is a real cutie.  I know that you did what was best for your son, and one day he will know it too.

Joann

Anonymous said...

Mary said you were going through a really tough time as of late.  Now I understand why.  God bless you all and may Matt find his way to peace of mind.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

What an unselfish act of love!  You have so much strength to have made that decision.  Sometimes doing the right things for our children can be so terribly painful but in the long run it can bring them back to us whole and happy.  Prayers will be with you.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know you`re in my thoughts.
bella xx

Anonymous said...

my thoughts and prayers are with you. Mary sent me your way.  LInda

Anonymous said...

I know you had a difficult decision to make. My heart goes out to you.

Mary sent me.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for all of you.

God Bless
Christy

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for the pain this is causing everyone involved.  Prayers for all of you.

Anonymous said...

The house is full of candles burning brightly for Matt!  Thoughts and prayers going out to you!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read to of this saddness you are experiancing.I suffered depression for many years and it is a terrible illness.I pray Matt will soon be well and you and yours to be given strength to see this worry through.It'sa Beautiful picture.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, as hard as it is, and as much as we love them, we have to do things that we don't always like.  I pray Matt gets the help he needs, and will soon be on the road to recovery.  My prayers are with you also, because I know that was a hard thing to have to do!

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))I am so sorry to hear about your Son.I will keep Him and you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I came late to Guido's journal and read about your distress.
I just want you to know that you and your family will be mentioned in my prayers.
I hope all goes well with your son in hospital. Please God they are able to get him back on the road to 'Wellness'.
You both did the right thing and I can understand the stress has been horrendous.  
Years ago we had to commit my father for his alcoholism and I was one of those giving witness against him.  You feel so guilty for incarcerating them but so relieved also to have a semblance of normality back into one's life and the hoped for return to normalcy for them soon too.
I hope the doctor's do well by your son.  They did with my father and he never looked back when he came home six months later.
God bless you all.

Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Mary sent me here.
Sorry that your family is having to go through this sadness.
Prayers to you all.

Hugs
erica

Anonymous said...

I came here via Mary.   I am sure that was a very hard thing to have your son committed.  Please know I am thinking about you and you're in my prayers.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I will also be praying for you and your family.  I came via Mary also.  Hugs.  Tish G.

Anonymous said...

It must've been a very hard decision, bless you and your family at this difficult time xx

Jenny

Anonymous said...

In true, Frankandmary form, I have been sent your way.  Gosh, I love that Mary to pieces because she is so thoughtful of others ...

Anne, if there were one or two words I could say ... they would be here in all their inspiration.  There aren't.  But I have lots of virtual warm hugs and my prayers for not only your son, but your family.  I'm sure you have made the best decision for your son that you can.  

Anonymous said...

Hi love, have come over from Mary. My thoughts and prayers are with you. One way or another I've been where you are. It gets better, truly it does. A beautiful photo ~ such hope is there you know, just hang on. Thinking of you. Love Debbie (Essex, England) xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/debbiewebb4465/TheLifeTimesofanEssexGirl

Anonymous said...

Anne, I was at Mary's and saw you needed some support.  A difficult decision and time for you and your family.  You are all in my prayers.

     Julie

Anonymous said...

Coming to you by way of Frankandmary. Sending healing thoughts and praying for you and your loved ones.

Dona

Anonymous said...

Anne, I keep you and yours in my thoughts every single day. Your family is beautiful. I hope your son is feeling better now. What a beautiful little girl :-)

xoxo