
This is a picture of my classmate Jim. We graduated from high school in 1968. He was very well liked, in fact he was very popular. It's interesting about popular people, most of them know it and form a "pecking order" so to speak. Even though Jim was popular, he was nice to everybody, but I remember him being very shy. This is often mistaken for being aloof. He wasn't, he was just shy and very kind, but withdrawn.
I remember a party a girlfriend had when I was a junior. I snuck out of my house to go to there. My parents would never allow me to go, but I wasn't about to miss it, because I was told, Jim would be there. So there we were, Jim, in one corner and ME in the other. He hardly spoke at all and neither did I. Finally I got the courage to say, "Hi!" and he returned the greeting with, "HI!" We both continued to sit in a corner and watch all of the people at the party. He was drinking coffee and smoking. He just loved watching everybody, so did I, but I never made a living at it!
This shy man wasn't shy when he was in Ms.Thelma Beeler's class. He was the hit of the class, in fact, he was a "hit" with the whole school. The stage was his home, as he was most comfortable there. We all knew he would do well. Funny, how one can be so alone and shy and yet step on the stage and be so comfortable and in control and talented.
He went on to gain fame and money. I am sure ya'll remember him....take a good look at the picture. This is a picture of Jim Varney, if that doesn't ring a bell, then I am sure you will remember him in character.....EARNEST! He was the star of all the Earnest movies. It proved to be a double edge sword for him. Earnest paid all the bills and then some, but he was type-cast. He did commercials long before Earnest and was known all over the south for these commercials, "Know what I mean, Vern?"
Here is probably what you don't know about Jim. He was the best serious actor I have ever seen. He could do Shakespeare better than the best. The melody of his voice still dances in my head. His audience was in simpatico with his performance. I wish more people knew that part of Jim. He was brilliant.
My brother-in-law, who shall remain nameless, told me, "You know, he is an alcoholic, don't you?" Yes, Jim did love his drink and "bent the elbow" more than one should, but what I know now is this, Jim was bipolar. His manic moods put him over the top and the best way he found to calm himself when he was like this was to drink and smoke some weed. He suffered for years, until finally he found a good doctor who recognized that he needed proper medication to manage his mania. He took it and started feeling better within a very short time.
Then he really had some bad news. He had just done voice-overs for Toy Story and knew his time was limited. He had cancer...lung to be exact.
I was in Tuscon in February 2001 when I heard the news on the radio. Jim didn't make it and had died. I will always remember him, sitting in that corner, watching all the people go by.
There is a great article entitled, "The Importance of being Earnest," by Beverly Keel, a Nashville writer.
Yes, Jim, I know what ya mean... always leave 'em wanting more!

12 comments:
It's always nice to hear about what famous people were like away from the cameras.
~~Kath~~
I remember when he died. I was so sad.
What an awesome guy he was.
How neat that you knew him!
Connie
It is so great that Jim has a tribute here, written by someone who "knew him when...".
He was a great talent. Thanks for sharing this story.
Jimmy
Wow! What a perfect tribute! I remember the Saturday morning kid show he did and I was impressed with his comedic talents. Have you ever seen "Wilder Napalm"? It was probably one of the few non-Earnest movies he did besides "Toy Story". He was in a supporting role, but he stood out like a bright star.
Russ
What a nice tribute.
I wish more people would see the person behind the "bi-polar" or "alcoholic" labels. I have to admit I have not seen a Earnest movie, but I do recall some of the commercials. Very cool to have known someone "when" and to have fond memories of them.
Candace
Great tribute, Anne :)
Stars do tend to be larger than life, don't they?
xoxo
what kind eyes. A fitting tribute. judi
((((((((((((((Anne)))))))))))))) I am so sorry- thanks for letting me know Jim a little better.
I remember him returning to Lafayette to honor one of the teachers who was retiring. He had a big heart and did not forget where he came from.
I remember you telling me about him.
xoxoxo,
me
Thanks Ann for opening the door on Jim's life and letting us see not only another aspect of Jim but also you. Though gone in body, his spirit shall live on with you and all those whose loves he touched.
Glad I saw this entry-- he looks so different in a non-Ernest photo. Really interesting to learn about his life. Interesting too that he had so much talent behind that one typecast role. --Albert
Post a Comment