
Last night I couldn't sleep. I was watching telelvision and saw an Oprah that was on earlier that day. It caught my attention. Part of it was about a famous designer named NATE, who was in Sri Lanka during the terrible tsunami. He did not die but the love of his life, a male, did die. His body has never been recovered. I know a lot of people consider Opera a "touchy-feely" warm and fuzzy person, but I was so glad she had Nate on and I was able to watch it! He has been on before and told his story but this time was different.
It was different because there is a teacher, Mrs. Barnes, somewhere in East Jesus, West Virginia, that told this story to her 7th graders. She asked them if they would like to write Nate a letter, conveying their sympathies. Oh, did they write letters to him.
Here is a 7th grade teacher who told this story about Nate and his loss and the near loss of his own life and the maturity of these 7th graders blew me away. They knew from their teacher that his parnter was a man. They wrote with great love and compassion, some addressing the fact of his partner being a male. As far as I know, no parent went to the principle or the school board to complain that their kids were writing to a gay man. (I do know many places that this would happen!) I know this may not mean much to many people and perhaps it isn't, but to hear the love and compassion from these kids and to see the tears in Nates' eyes from them was just something.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the judgment of people would lie in the content of their character? Just like Martin Luther King asked in his, "I have a dream speech?"
I have been blessed with realitives who are gay and great friends who are gay and lesbian. I feel it is never my place to judge only love to my fullest capacity.
I do hope this is one small step, with many more to follow. Anne

9 comments:
We can only hope.
Wow. I hadn't heard anything about this. My heart is warmed by the story -- and I thank you for sharing it. double HONK Russ
Anne, thank you for sharing this story. As the daughter of a Lesbian and the mother of another I take great offense to the intolerence and stupidity of so many people. Love is beautiful whenever it is found. Paulette
Yes it is amazing that the parents did not complain. Rational behavior?
oh, Anne. I am so blessed to know and love you. This painting is a favorite of mine, and your soul is a favorite of mine too. Thank you for sharing this beautiful entry and bless that teacher and those kids. judi
Funny, first of all, just saw another Diego Rivera Flower-carrier painting the other day at SFMoMA, great images...
Didn't see beginning of that Oprah, but that is so neat to hear about the teacher and her students. There really ARE some sweet, understanding, tolerant people out there. Now, I hope that those kids don't still call each other "Gay" in the hallways... you know how teens can be. --Albert
I saw Nate on Oprah too. Such a terrible
tragedy. My heart just broke for him over
the loss of his partner. And oh how
awesome that this 7th grade class teacher
would ask her students if they wanted
to write to him...
Oh the times...they are a changin...
Connie
You never judge, Anne!
I am very touched by that teacher and the class.
It is a beautiful thing that those kids were allowed
to address the sorrow and not the orientation.
Kids don't discriminate until adults teach them to,
I think! (then there is Lord of the Flies, right?)
xoxo
Your love and tolerance are something I wish I had more of...but I DO claim respondibility for you learning how to post a picture!!! LMOA...and I'm glad, I love Rivera, and Frieda, of course. ;)
xoxoxo,
me
Post a Comment