Friday, December 31, 2004

Ringing in The New Year

Happy New Year! I am so glad that 2005 is here at last. Time to "ring in the new."

   We arrived in Arizona after a 2 day very long trip. Luke, the wonder dog, was in the back and was very good. Although we have taken this trip many times before, we still notice many things along the way.

There are the Flint Hills of Kansas. This is the largest grazing land in the United States. There are very few trees and rolling hills, where sky meets land. In the spring there burn off the prairie grass to enrich the soil. Some people think this is a boring drive, but I find it beautiful. It was different this trip. We went through fog, then clear and back to fog again.

I think Oklahoma could greatly improve their welcoming stations. They need to be updated. It's like 1950 all over again. I was really starting to be sleepy but it was my turn to drive. I had to have coffee and walnut bread.

Next is was theTexas panhandle. I know there is a speedtrap in Shamrock, TX, so we really watched our driving. The welcome centers in that part of TX are new and beautiful. (Thanks Texas!) Outside of Amarillo is the largest cross in the Western Hemisphere. We always get out and walk Luke and take a little break. There are bronze scuptures depicting the crucifixion of Christ. I told my husband to make sure Luke steered clear of those statues when he was taking his "break." Amarillo is flat land and beef country. I am usually so tired that I want to stop there but we have to go 100 more miles to get to Tuccumcarri, New Mexico. As the sun was setting we went by the Cadilac graveyard. For those of you that don't know about this little deal, it's kind of interesting. An etcentric millionaire who lives in the area had many of these cars burried in the ground with half of them sticking straight up in the air. Then he painted them different colors. They are out in the middle of a field and you can see them from the interstate. You can pull over and walk up to them and add your own art work if you feel like it. I know Luke left his "artwork" there!

As the sun was setting and New Mexico was near, we had a beautiful sunset. I decided to turn on the radio and the music that was playing at that moment was Roy Rogers and Dale Evans singing: Happy Trails! Now tell me, isn't that perfect?  By the time we got to our Hotel in Tuccumcarri, we were exhausted with 722 miles behind us.

The next morning we were on our way to Arizona with the state of New Mexico facing us. We got east of Alburquerque and stopped to visit my husbands brother and his family. It was good to visit with them as we had not seen them for 15 yrs or more. The visit we very nice. His daughter had just gotten married this last summer and it was good to see the newlyweds, my brother and sister-in-law and their other daugher, who I had never met. We stayed longer than intended and their hospitality was just wonderful. I was so grateful for this visit. My husband was overjoyed!

By the time we arrived in Flaggstaff the temperature had dropped to 33 degrees and they had a little snow and ice. We stopped to gas up and walk Luke and then back to the car to head south. There was only 3 hours left of our trip and we were starting to look and smell as though our expiration date had passed! It's interesting that from Flagstaff to Phoenix you go from 8,000 ft. elevation to 1,000 ft. so it's straight downhill all the way. (weeeeeeee!)

It was late when we saw the lights of the valley, but they twinkled like the stars in the sky. I looked up to see a big full moon low on the horizon peeking behind a mountain and clouds. It looked like a Halloween postcard!

In closing I hope everybody has a wonderful NEW Year. I wish you love in your life, life in your love and especially GOOD health, mental as well as physical. I have met many wonderful people here in the land of J. The decision to journal was a good one especially because I have met you and have gotten to know you. You inspire me with your words, works, kindness and courage. I have learned that ordinary people have extrodinary lives and some of you are my heros. Thank you for allowing me into your lives......I am blessed!            Anne

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Anne!  I HATE the drive from Flagg to Phoenix.  Those mountains can be scary, and no matter how hard your foot is on the brake, it seems like you keep gaining speed.  Which part of Phoenix are you visiting?  I'm on the beautiful west side.  Have a good visit here, enjoy the warm weather.  (I hope you missed all the rain!)
~~Kath~~
http://journals.aol.com/dklars/SecretGarden

Anonymous said...

Dear Anne: You have changed my life. I look forward to our dail chats, and your wisdom that you so generously share with me. I look forward to many, many New Year's to come with you (and Jim, and Luke the Wonder Dog).
*Kiss them both for me.

xoxoxoxo

andi

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your winter retreat.  Overland Park will still be here when you come back!  HONK!  Russ

Anonymous said...

Anne, dear friend, Happy New Year to you.  May it be filled with happiness and peace.  Thank you for your kindness and your friendship.  On to 2005, and what all it brings.

Anonymous said...

Happy trails to you, Anne, and your husband and Luke the Wonder Dog! Hope to see you in a few weeks! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Anne: I don't get out of town much but I've actually seen that Cadillac graveyard!  (I have a friend who lived in NM for a few years, now he and his partner are in Bisbee AZ which I haven't visited yet).

Glad Luke, the wonderdog didn't relieve himself near Jesus, wouldn't be too good, so close to Christmas and all, rofl.   Have a very Happy New Year!  --Albert

Anonymous said...

Anne, good to read about your trip.  I've been through some of that area and it brings back pleasant memories.  Hope that your AZ stay goes well!!  Debra

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year my friend, sounds like a great trip...... would love to see those things. Thinking of you all, love, judi

Anonymous said...

{{{{Anne}}}}}    

I'm so glad you visited my journal and left the door open for me to come over here. What wonderful reading this journal is! I even learned some things about Texas that I didn't know and I live here...but my friend Mark keeps telling me that I'm still a Yankee and that my visa is about to expire..he reminds me that this is the Republic of Texas  LOL.  Native Texans are so funny!

I laughed when I saw your entry about the 12 days of Christmas. I was trying to sing it while driving back from droping my son off at school this morning. I could never remember the gifts past the 8th day.  How ironic it was to see the lyrics here in your journal...you saved me from Googling for them!

Enjoy your stay in AZ  and have a wonderful New Year!

Vivian

Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed your trip Anne!
Big hugs,
Connie

Anonymous said...

reminds me of the little Feat song
"I've been from Tuscan to Tucumcarri
Tchatchaphee to Tonapa
Driven every kinda rig that's ever been made
Driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed...
Marti