Tuesday, May 3, 2005

Is the Heat ON?

Giant Martini Glass - Baron Bob Approved

My, what a day I had. Why didn't I know it was a BAD sign when the heating and airconditioning man arrived early?  It was a work day for me and I had to stop what I was doing, calm Luke, the Wonder Dog, down and let the guy inside. Every year we have an a/c check in the spring and a furnace check in the winter. It was bound to happen, it's going on 20yrs. old. Here are my choices:

1) Put a new motor in the "thingy" part of a 20 yr old unit. $475.00. BUT the freeon thing is a problem too. Then there is the reev thing. Don't ask for explainations, I don't speak "lennox" or "Carrier" language very well.

2) Buy a whole new unit for around $3,000.00. He told me with a smile on my face, that price included installation.

3) Go without air conditioning. That is not really an option for me. People who visit usually say my house is so cold that you can hang meat in the lower level. That is in the summer when I crank it up. In the winter my husband likes it a steady 62 degrees. That's a lot cooler than I keep it in the summer.

So, let's reveiw shall we.

1. $475.00

2. $3,000.00

3. The look on my husbands face when he arrives home to find me "hammered".......priceless!

Just another day in paradise!  OH JOY!                                             

 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hammered?????  You're drunk?

Anonymous said...

I love this entry because I do relate...I have replaced every single thing on this ranch house except the back door...the most expensive was the ac from home depot...thank God there was no interest for the first year....but sooooooooooooo expensive..it is a Trane and works beautifully../Nothing worse than being hot...courtenay

Anonymous said...

I can truly attest to the fact that Anne's house is the coldest one I have ever visited.  We go there for her wonderful 4th celebration.  I place my luggage on top of the floor vent in my bedroom, after I have closed it, and hope I remember to open it before we leave.  I sleep under a down comforter.  Trips to the bathroom are a chill a moment.  I make the mistake of always taking summer p.j.'s, (duh) but MS.ANNE has been spotted putting on her flannels in mid-summer.
Once she said, "Well, no wonder you are cold, look at those thin pajamas!", to which I retorted, "and there you sit - in flannel and it's the 4th of July!  Which of of us is crazier?"
Actually, I can't wait.  It is always a ball!  

Anonymous said...

I had to replace the furnace in my house the first year I bought it. Fortunately for me I had a friend in the biz and he sold it to me for his cost and installed it for beer. (the beer came after the install). I can't sleep in a warm room. I have my window open a crack all year long, even if it's twenty below outside and my ceiling fan runs 24/7 352 days a year. But, alas, I won't wear flannel so it's down comforter and socks for this gal. : )
Candace

Anonymous said...

My furnace is on it's last leg, and we had snow last yesterday. I can relate!

62 is not acceptable - mine is 72 in winter and 76 in summer.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

62 in winter?   brrrr.   that's not a house, that's a refridgerator!  lol

Anonymous said...

We just had to get a new a/c heater combo too.  You know AZ, no air conditioner is not an option!
Isn't it awful how they sit there, in your house, and say, "a new unit will cost you around 3000 to 5000 bucks" with a total smile on their face?  They're smiling because much like a drunken sorority girl, they know you aren't gonna say no.
UGGH!  Enjoy the new unit, and the priceless look on hubby's face, lol.
Anna

Anonymous said...

Damn!  Such choices.  I'm with you though, I'd opt for cool whatever the cost.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Hey Anne,
Mom did the new motor thing in hers and it's
working just fine.  And her's is almost 30 yrs
old!
Connie

Anonymous said...

62?  Damn girl!!  You're just inviting frostbite!  I'd love to have the house super-chilled at night, but I've got tropical birds and an African tortoise who can't survive that.  xoxo HONK, Russ

Anonymous said...

I'll have what she's having. That is the downside to home ownership I guess. Tell Dear Hubby, "if you can't beat em, join em." LOVED the graphic!!!! xoxox, judi

Anonymous said...

Ilove it ! Well I have copd and in the summer I need low humidity in the house ! And the air is on all the time And a bottle Of vodka to kill the numbness of the cold! This year we have to by 2 new window types! The money for air conditioning  vs the money for the hospital bill? you have a great one and thanx for sharing a drink!

Anonymous said...

yay for getting hammered! Enjoy! And be cool!


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Why do the repair men think that just because you own a home you have an endless supply of money?! My furnace broke two years ago. The dilema I have is that the oil in the tank is what caused my furnace to go bad. They said the oil was contaminated btu I had two different oil compaanies filll the tank last time so was it the lsat one or the one before that? Who needs to take out the oil? Do I really need to replace the tank which isn't that old (4 years) or chance putting new oil in and that getting comtaminated? Thank goodness I have lots of sweaters!

Anonymous said...

WHAHAHAhahahahahahahahaaha!.....omg god a terrible predicament made hysterical by the fact that I would do the same thing....lordy.. you make me laugh! p.s. b/f  bought a place just in time for heating/cooling unit to blow, that was after the fridge and dishwasher...I know his pain..I empathize witcha' cheers, what time are drinks?......mercy!

<giggles>....E

Anonymous said...

feel lucky...feel very lucky...we just had to spend $16,000 (!!!) on our heating and air conditioning, including the abestos removal..

http://journals.aol.com/hestiahomeschool/HomeschoolingJournal