
I
magine if you will an Irish taxi driver taking two American women to the hippest, sexiest restaurant in London. His brogue, although difficult to understand, was quite charming and dotted with humor.I was tired from a day of shopping (well, SOMEBODY has to do it) and really didn't want to go out to dine, but Sherron had insisted that we were in London and we were going out to her sister-in-laws favorite restaurant. OK, OK...I'm game but give me time to change me knickers and put a spot of Creed behind my ears.
The cabbie warned us that it was down an alley. That really meant nothing to me as it seems all the cabbies took the side streets and alley ways. That's what is so wonderful about London. The cabbies study for at least 3 years, some longer, just to be able to be a taxi driver. May I add that the taxi's are extremely clean and comfortable.
As we approached the alley the cabbie told us to see just how narrow the street was and I believe after he dropped us off, he had to back out to get to the main street.
It was cobblestone that hit the bottom of my shoes and I was so glad that I had chosen to wear flats instead of heels. (stilletto heels would have killed a women to walk all tippy-toed) But, where were we? Where was the restaurant? All I could see was cobblestone and a tall blonde woman who vaguely resembled Rachel Hunter and a tall black man in sun glasses. (it is night, isn't it?) She spoke in a deliberate deep tone and asked our names. The man smiled after she nodded and pointed to the steps. Oh joy, I thought, MORE steps with dim lighting and tiny red lights pointing the way, deeper and deeper into a restaurant called
HAKKASAN.
Being early for a local and with thanks to our great conceirge, Duncan, we had no problem getting a reservation. By the time we left, however, the place was packed.
I faced the bar which was back lit and Sherron faced the rest of the restaurant. The only color that I noticed in the reception area was all of the tall white orchids that were against a black wall. Our table had another dim pin point light that I could swing back and forth at will in order to see the menu. (Do I wish I had the eyes I had 10 years ago) While we decided what to order, we both ordered an adult beverage. YUM!
Our waiter arrived and was quite handsome. I noticed all of the waiters had the most divine shade of purple, more like plum,. shirts on, crisp and clean. He was Asian in descent, but spoke with a beautiful British accent. We needed time to enjoy our drinks and decipher the menu. We both decided that the portions were generous and we could split an appitizer and an entry. There were a couple of Brits (looked like the professor and MaryAnn to me) down from us who were having some type of fish that looked good. So, we decided on crispy duck salad and sea bass that was steamed and then seared with a plum and chinese barbeque sauce, along with some vegetables.
It was a good decision and a meal that I will remember for a lifetime. I dream of crispy duck salad and the sea bass was worth every pound that it cost. We savored every morsel. We noticed the place was gettting packed and the noise level was greater. Try as we might, we couldn't finish the sea bass and it was at that point I decided it was time for the restroom. However you do NOT call it the restroom or the bathroom, you ask for the loo or the toilet. A women pointed the way and I have got to tell you that if a young girl had not been at the giant opaque door to open it and point the direction, I would have not seen where to go.
Never before have I written about a loo, but I have to tell you it was quite beautiful. Black in color, dim lighting, a very large mirror and white orchids in front of the mirror, behind and covering the sink. (God, I wish I had my carmera with me) There were three stalls, all private of course. It's the kind of restroom that you imagine illicit things happening and probably were. God, I loved it! I have always been known to flirt with danger.
Alas our special night was coming to an end. I went back to our table and tried to explain the loo to my friend. It was her turn to go and she told me had the young girl not been there to open the door and point the way, she would have missed it. I told her to use her imagination whilst she powder her nose. We both got tickled. Our cabbie had arrived back to HAKKASAN to gather us up and take us back to our hotel. We then took notice than we were the only two American women without male escorts in the restaurant. In fact very few women were there at that time. Lots of Asian businessmen and a few Brits. It was a very special evening with great food and a great experience. BTW........I found out thatsea bass is really a very large ugly fish, called the Patagonian tooth fish........but I prefer to remember it as perfect in plum sauce. (SIGH)

8 comments:
What a nice memory you will always have of that dinner!
I love sea bass too :)
xoxo
You are blessed to be able to travel to faraway places.
Anne
A dark back alley, mysterious strangers, unusual but attractive decor, food to die for. What a great restauranjt you discovered. Another memorable adventure during this wonderful trip.
Sam
The trip sounds lovely and filled with lots of memories... I'm jealous. lol. ~Sie
What a wonderful adventure, with great food included. What a great trip-thank you for taking the time to share it with us. Margo
What a beautifully descriptive entry. I was there with you, Lady, enjoying every bite, every sip. Of course, now I'm hungry, but nowhere within reach of any duck or sea bass. So I'll just continue to enjoy yours.
I hope you're enjoying every minute of this wonderful trip.
Jimmy
What a great story! I love your adventures!
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages
So you go all the way to London and talk about a toilet? LOLOL
Great entry Anne, I will look for this place myself.
Gaz xxxxx
Post a Comment