Sunday, November 4, 2007

IT'S BEEN A HARD DAYS NIGHT


FORGIVE me for not updating you sooner.  The title says it all....."It's Been a Hard Days Night"  I have enclosed 3 pictures of Luke.  He was taken into surgery after testing his chest and heart. He had a ventricle problem and his heart beat was 180 beats per minute.  His temperature was 104.8 and his grapefruit sized mass had to be drained.

The Vet couldn't give him general anesthesia because of his heart, so he did it under a local. The Vet said he was perfecly still. He  got 3 cups of pus out of him. It is an unusual bacterial infection and we still haven't gotten all the results back yet. He is on 2 antibiotics and seems to be responding.

The first picture was taken on Friday. You can see the drain (rubber) in his upper part of his back leg. The swelling and draining had gone down a whole lot by the time I took the picture.

There were several sleepless night and I found myself singing, "I'm Walkin' the Floor Over You" We walked outside and we walked inside. He would try to get up and struggle and his heart was racing. He had to wear one of those Elizabethan collars so he wouldn't pull the drain out. I layed down with him, petted him, rubbed his back and still he didn't want to rest.  (I think he was afraid, but at least he was at home)  It was like that for almost 2 days and then he slowly started getting better. He ate his food yesterday and that was a good sign. Ok, so I put some home made chicken noodle soup in there.

Doc removed his drain yesterday and it still oozes out a little, but it is not pus.  He still has trouble getting up and down and the kitchen wooden floor must be like skating on ice to him. He avoids it. I wondered why until I went it there with socks on and slid across the floor screaming like one of the Three Stooges.

Yesterday our grandson Patrick (9 yrs old) came over and he helped me walk Luke. He handled him very well and praised him with almost every step. I bought a pet ramp so Luke can get up and down steps easier.  Now he is an old dog, so could I teach him a new trick?  Doc gave up right away; leaving Patrick and I to teach him. I put the ramp on our porch so he would only have to manage one step. After 15 minutes we had him trained.  Today I put the ramp to the car.  It was too steep for him in the back, so I slid the side door of the van open and he hesitated, but then he did it.   Enough work for the day.  I was shvitzing and drained.  Judi Heartsong suggested that I put some chicken livers on the ramp to get him to walk up there. I told her that if they were FRIED, that even I would learn a new trick.  It's a great idea; maybe for both of us?

Tomorrow is another day and The Wonder Dog is the BEST.  Thanks to all who sent emails and included Luke in their prayers. I know who you are!

ANIMALS RULE!!!!   ROCK ON....... AND by the way, I finally got a shower and washed my hair yesterday.  

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless his heart.  I'm so glad he's recovering.  He's such a beautiful boy!  He's in my prayers.  Glad you finally showered!!  LOL.  Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that Luke seems to be on the road to recovery... Poor Thing! It's funny how patient the furkids can be when we are trying to help them, it's almost like they know that what we are doing is to make it better for them.

Anonymous said...

You must be so relieved to have him on the mend.  The infections sounds awful....poor thing.  I  know he has the best convalescent care possible....YOU!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update   Luke's been on my mind   i just finish reading "Merle's Door", a book about a dog  true story and i think you would love it   keep taking care of Luke and keep us posted   HUGZ 2 both of you~kbear

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he is doing well.  Thank you for letting us know.  I hope he continues to improve.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Animals do rule!  I hear that!  I'm so relieved to hear that Luke is doing better!  He has been in my prayers, and no one will ever tell me that our loving pets don't go to heaven too!
I think it's great that you gave him Chicken Soup.. :)

I have a saying, and believe it with all my heart, because my dog's (I happen to be a dog lover) have proved it to me time and time again: "A dog is the only animal that loves you more than he loves himself."

Hugs
jackie

http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your little buddy. It sounds, though, like the Vet has things in hand. I hope it all works out for the best. He sounds like quite the trooper! Good luck, Anne.

Anonymous said...

oh anne i'm so glad, i was sorta worried, cuz pups are such troopers and all; that sometimes we don't know how bad it is for them.  he must be feeling tons better, with all that yucky pus out and some extra helpful antibiotics fighting for him too.   and he has a great mom, grins, debra

Anonymous said...

So good to hear that Luke is on the mend!!  It'll be slow going, but he has a good mom helping him.

Love,
Russ

Anonymous said...

Anne
I am so glad to hear that Luke is improving.  The ramp was a great idea.  I hope things settle back down now and you all can catch up on your much needed rest.
Sam

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear he's recovering well!   ~Sie

Anonymous said...

You 2 have had such an unpredictable & anxious time.  I am so sorry, but he sure has the right person in his corner.  If you fry the chicken livers in a little butter for him, he'll pour your wine.~Mary

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Luke. Sounds like he's on his way to recovery finally. I agree with Mary he's lucky to have you in his corner. Keeping him in my prayers on the smoke. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to read today's entry, even happier with the news. It's hard to imagine you, Luke and Ernest Tubb in concert, but if I squint my ears....

Between the shvitzing and the chicken soup, I sure ol' Luke will be better. I told Dr. Marc about the chicken soup saying I thought it wouldn't help. He told me, "It vouldn't hoit". Keep on keeping on !

Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

God bless you for caring so much.  I'm always limited by funds and have to resort to prayer.  I shall pray for Luke, because even with all your efforts, he needs all the help he can get.

Anonymous said...

"I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands.
When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands;
then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat.
For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that."

Wedgefarth, W. Dayton