Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Oh, Dos Wascally Wabbits!

Luke The Wonder Dog is in "wabbit" heaven. He gets to go to a leash free park twice a week, with his girlfriend Carrie and her two dogs Sunny and Lucy. If fact, Sunny and Lucy taught Luke how to swim. Nevermind that he is a lab, Luke couldn't swim when I got him. He would stay at the end of the water and cry when the other dogs would go in for a swim. So each week, he would go in a litte bit further. First he got his paws wet, then his legs, then his belly, then you could only he the top of his harness and then he was SWIMMING!  I had not felt this proud since my own kids learned to swim. NOW, I have a lab who knows what to do in water.

It was last week, when Luke went to the park with his friends. He always loves to chase the rabbits in hope that one day he will catch one. {I am sure that is what his dreams are made of} Carrie was walking with Lucy and her daughter Barret when out of the bushes she saw a rabbit run with a white lab (LUKE) close behind. The rabbit was so fast, too fast, but right in front of Carrie, the rabbit hit a big rock and flew up into the air. Let me say that when the rabbit landed it did not hit the ground. YES, Luke was there and he was able to catch the rabbit before it hit the ground. Now before it got ugly, Carrie yelled for LUKE to "drop it!"  OK, she had to yell it several times, but he did drop it, but he was so proud of himself. He didn't know the rock slowed the rabbit down. He takes full credit for the rabbit hunt. If fact, he is still looking for that rabbit everywhere he goes. He had a smile on his face when I got home that day. I am sure he was hoping for rabbit stew, but I gave him a doggie ice cream instead. I swear Luke went to bed that night with a silly grin on his face.  Perhaps he was conversing with Elmer Fudd....sharing their rabbit chasing days!    Tha..tha..thats all folks!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAYYYYYY!!! That's my man!!!!!  ;)

Give him a kiss for me.

andi

ps: nice graphic, BTW.  :)

Anonymous said...

oh that is so funny. you Go Boy!!!!! Cannot wait to meet this guy. judi

Anonymous said...

Labs are the best..I had a precious one for 14 yrs..he hated water, too...proud Luke...good boy!....  :)  E

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO LUKE!!!   i love it when my dogs catch something...sometimes...lol~kbear

Anonymous said...

Lucky dog, lucky dog, i'ma lucky dog, pant pant pant
grins, debra of

Anonymous said...

Luke is so cute :)
Mine caught a rabbit once. I had to bury it.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I think I might have a buddy in Luke! We can do the wabbit hunting together. Great tale before bed!


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had a Lab!  Very cool!  Our neighborhood is overpopulated with bunnies -- and even my senior citizen German Shepherd managed to catch one in the backyard.  He killed the poor thing and then didn't know what to do with it.  

HONK!
Russ

Anonymous said...

Too funny.  I'm sure Luke is quite proud of himself, and will look for that rabbit for a long time to come.  One of our dogs, Buttons, found a baby rabbit in the yard here a few days ago.  She was gently carrying it around but when ordered to "drop it" the baby squealed when it hit the ground.  Before it could hop away Rosie snatched it and went "bite, shake" and the baby rabbit was no more.  She was quite unhappy to have to give up her prey.  Now all three dogs run to the same area of the yard, sniff and scratch whenever they go out.  I guess they're hoping for another one!  Paulette