Monday, July 25, 2005

Queen for a Day (or 3)

Crown4

I now know what it is like to be queen for a day. For those of you that are old enough there used to be a tv show in the 50's that was called: Queen For a Day. The trip to Chicago was a wonderful and exciting trip. There is much to tell and it will take several entries. Let me start.

First of all, Doc Holiday and I have been going to Chicago for 25 yrs. We used to live in a town 3 hrs. south of there and my only escape from my lonely exsistance there was to catch the train and spend the day. It was a time of easy travel. Todays travel is something we all better get used to.  We arrived at the airport and had to go inside to check our bags. (No more sky caps) Something that my dear husband has done (???) has put us on a national security check list. Let me say that  both of us have a very common first name as well as last name.  [It's not John Doe or Jim Smith, but it might as well be.]  So, inside we go, to the counter and have to present all kinds of identification. I'm ok with it because after all, this is the security of our nation, right? After going through our second security point I was "selected" to have the magic wand passed over me and it did indeed make a sound. {danger Will Robinson!} Then I got to have a gentle pat down. The lady was especially nice and after all it's my part for national security, right? After the "pat down" I told the security lady that she had a real future in message therapy. In another hour we were off to Chicago.

After a short quiet ride from the airport, we arrived at our Hotel. The "P" hotel is like a magic castle. We were escorted to our part of the castle and given a brief tour and explanation of how to use the tv, phone system, light system and internet.  Our bags arrived and the bellman offers to put everything up for us, but hey, I have to draw the line somewhere, don't I?

The bathroom was one that I would love to have at my own house. It had a BIG tub, spotless I may add, with a big bottle of bubble bath sitting on the side. At the end of the tub, up about 2 or 3 ft. was a television, with safe controls by my shoulders. The bathroom, had a cosmetic mirror, to be sure I caught all those stray hairs that tend to "pop out" with age and for flawless makeup applications. The bathroom, along with the whole place, had a lighting system that was second to none. We ALL know that lighting is so important to ANY woman over the age of 40. Thank God, there is a hotel that realizes this too!

The place was so beautiful and was painted in many colors of yellow from the lightest shade to an intense golden sunflower yellow. The sofa was done in almond silk with cocoa brown and pepper red pillows. There was real art on the walls and they weren't nailed down. <<<sigh>>> How wonderful is this?  The pillows were plentiful and white goose down.  OH, and there was a doorbell on the outside. (No, tap, tap, tapping on the door!) I looked inside of the ice bucket and there was ice in there already! {insert the tv theme song, "Movin' On Up" here}  Do you think they will find out that we are really from Kentucky and say something? lol

It was on to a wonderful lunch at the dining room of the hotel and then off to the SPA. I had a nail appointment and Doc went swimming. I was told to go to the lower level and wait in one of the 4 chairs in the foyer until Nary came for me.  I waited for about 15 minutes and was privy to some interesting conversation coming out of the nail room. It seems as though a man was having a pedicure and people were asking him about his life and what he did. He is a buyer for "HIGH profile" clients. He talked about his Chicago clients and his New York clients and said that his Chicago clients were the BEST!  He had just finished an "escorted buy" at Graff jewelers on OAK St. to buy a strand of perfect black Tahitain pearls.....and money was no object. He talked about Louis (as in Vuitton) and how Hermes is NEVER mentioned anymore. hmmmmmmmm! {Again, do you think they will discover that I am really from Kentucky... am an oldie, but goodie, and ask me to leave?} After name dropping a few more designers, but never revealing his high profile clients, he left and then they called my name. (Do you think they will find out we are on a national airport secrutity list?) haaa  I had a wonderful manicure. I asked for water and was treated to water that was from a pitcher than had strawberries and kiwi in it. Back to my room afterwards to rest up for dinner. When Doc and I arrived back to the room a beautiful square plate with a ripe peach, mandarin orange, plum, and kiwi, with dried pears and a light sprinkling of cried cranberries over 3 dried apricots were awaiting us. Yes, they included a knife and two small plates. This would have to wait till later. OMG, is this heaven or what?  This is where in the old movies they< inserted  music> and the next scene is where we are getting ready for dinner.

I told Doc that I was still full from lunch and so was he. We just happened to be going to Gibsons.........home of power lunches, dinners and BIG food. After a couple of bitters and soda we ordered dinner. He ordered what he wanted and I told them to bring me a plate and I would share his. I had a couple of bites of great steak and some some spinach. They are known for their big desserts. Carrot cake happens to be a favorite of my husbands and Gibsons is the best. One piece also happens to be the size of a real cake. WE both smiled at each other and declined the dessert. We have to have some restraint somewhere. After a leisurly stroll up Oak St. and down Michigan Ave. we arrived back to our hotel.     All and all, it was a great day!

The next day I discovered Ethel's Chocolate cafe'......................{Insert Louis Armstrongs, It's A Wonderful World, here}   More about that tomorrow.

 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

A chocolate cafe?
There IS a God!!
Candace

Anonymous said...

...lovin' the crown Miss Thing...hey, you sure your entry isn't really a scene from a movie...you know the romantic B&W kind....I love those!.....trip sounds dreamy...you need a vacation to recover from the vacation?....E

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your Queen for a Day, is turning into A Royal Week.  Enjoy, and sneak in a picture or two for us peasants!

Anonymous said...

unbelievable! You lucky girl you.

Anonymous said...

OMG, it sounds so wonderful. i am so glad you had such an amazing time. Margo

Anonymous said...

Wow! I wish they would bring that show back instead of some of the annoying reality shows...

Anonymous said...

Sounds heavenly and beyond...now i must get to Chicago sometime...tell me more~kbear

Anonymous said...

When I was in Chicago last year, I ended up in the window killing some flies, lol. Don't ask what I was wearing. I think that was also the time we had a fire alarm at 9 AM. I asked to just be allowed to burn, I was so tired!

You did much better!! I am waiting for the next installment :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ditto on what everyone has already said,

plus this:

Ya'll are two of the hardest working people it has ever been my pleasure
to know, and I can't think of anything better than you taking a little mini-break
and letting people Do For You, for once, and ya oughta do it a little more often.

So there.   LOL


(I sure did miss you, though *sniff*sniff)

xoxoxoxo,
andi



Anonymous said...

I'm insanely jealous!  So glad for you that you had a marvelous time.  I always wondered what those ritzy hotels had to offer that Motel 6 lacks.  Now that I know I'll probably never be content at the latter again!  At any rate, welcome back.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I am positive that you were absolutely
stunning in your tiara!  lol
Lovish!
Connie

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhh, sounds like a wonderful respite. Glad you are home to tell stories..... judi

Anonymous said...

I lived at 113 East Oak.  I think it's an Ultimo salon now.  Love Gibson's -- a wild and crazy place.  Big plates.  Big food.  Ya shoulda called, I woulda hung out witcha.  Mrs. L