Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Name Game

What ever happened to "normal" names?  I grew up with names that were easy to

pronounce and you knew their gender. There are no more Linda's, Nancy, Susan,

Suzanne, Betty, Judy, Carol, Carolyn, Barbara, Marilyn, Cindy, Donna, Peggy,

Leslie, Kathy (Cathy), Shelly (Michelle), Jennifer, Joyce, Laura, Debbie, Gloria,

Paula, Connie, Liz, Sharon, Karen, Sarah, Abby, Amy,Becky, Beth, Beverly,Bonnie,

Charlotte, Sherry, Christy, Darlene, Denise, Diane, Helen, Elaine, Fran, Gail,

Jackie, Janet, Jill, Lynn, Pam, Patti, Rhonda, Sally, Stacy, Stephanie, Sylvia,

Tammy, Valarie, Vicky and last but not least, Wendy.
  Have we now become the Gertrudes, Ruby's and the Myrtle, Mildred, Hazel,

Irene, Eunice, Flossie and Ester's of our times?


  I have heard the strangest of names for children now. We name them after cities

and states and even make up our own names.  When I volunteered in my kids

school, I ran into a child named Joke (no kidding) and twins named Romeo and

Juliette. But the STRANGEST name I ever came across was this:

Eitheror....pronounced "Either Or."  God save us all!
  What is the strangest name you have had the shock of hearing?
  Remember the song, The Name Game?
  ?Bonnie, Bonnie, Fo Fonnie, Banana Fanna, Fo Fonnie, Me My Moe, Monnie,

Bonnie!"   Let's Do Chuck....................

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine (who has a four year old in daycare) and reports that there three girls in that group named Mason.  A coworker of mine named his son Marco -- which I kind of like.  It's a generational thing I guess.  All the "normal" names will come back eventually.  I've always been partial to "Veronica".  Love that name.

And also "Anne"  ;)

Russ

Anonymous said...

Working in the medical field I have seen too many names, where ya go, WTH?  I know lots of people will slam me for this, but every time I ran into a child with the legal name PRINCESS (yup, several times) she was on Medicaid. ~ Mary

Anonymous said...

I can't remember now some of the names my daughter-in-law was considering for their baby a few years ago but my husband and I were sweating it.  There were some we just had to react to and flat out tell them they were crazy if they named the baby one of those made up names.  We were so very relieved when they ended up naming her Alexis Rose!!  Whew!  And let me thank my Mom and Dad again for naming me Linda!  I must admit my family tree does contain some unusual names, one of which appears to be an old family name that my mother's twin sister received -- Elvessie.  I have no idea where that originated.  But I'm with you in that I think it's an out-of-control fad at the moment!  Linda

Anonymous said...

As a social worker, I ran into some doozies. There was Clinique, Lexus, Sky Pilot, Cheerful Bugbee - it goes on and on. I wish I could remember more of them! My dad's name was Hope until he legally changed it.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Gosh, gee, Mary, should only the rich and famous use a name that implies royalty?  What about Paris, La Ville-lumière....yes, she is now locked up.  Her parents could have named her Jail Bait, I suppose.  They didn't know she would shame the famous City of Light, just as your medicaid mommy didnt know if Princess would be a crack addict or a movie star. Maybe she only thought the baby was beautiful and wished her the best!  
What about a dog named KING?  Now, there a far-fetched idea.  Of course, there have been kings that were truly dogs.... and presidents too!
With a name like Mary, it makes me wonder….did you remain a virgin as did the Blessed Mother?  
This blog was about STRANGE names, and I am sure Anne never intended it to slam a group of people who find themselves in  circumstances beyond their control.  Compassion, Mary, compassion.  

Anonymous said...

LOL!  This is so true.  I can't imagine the mindset of a parent who would name their kid "Eitheror".  I see a name change coming when the kids reaches adulthood.
Lori

Anonymous said...

I went to school with Caira -  pronounced Kay -I- Ra.  I always thought it was beautiful and she hated it.  I've seen some kids with doozies in my business.  And heaven help you if you mispronounce or forget it!  Paulette

Anonymous said...

The strangest name I have ever run into is E Plurubis Unum.  Yep.. that was this guys name.  And he was OLD!  I didn't think people from the 1920's were into naming their children off the wall things like that.  This guy was in his 70's and this was 20 years ago... so, heck.. he must have been born more towards the way early 1900's.. hmmm... who'da thunk it? hee

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I was always proud of my name-which many of my school mates considered weird- because there arte so few people with my name around. I hope that those kids with names odd to us older folk (Yes, I'm only 57, but I'm getting there faster everyday)with "different" names are mostly proud, too. And, as Russ says, it's all cyclical. Eventually there will be lots of little Gertrudes and Eleanors and Gladys's running around! Margo