Better Than All the Rest............
Meet my friend Patti. She died a couple of months ago. She was an awesome person. Every February we would descend upon her house to go to the gem show in Tucson, which is the largest gem show in the world.
She would always welcome us to her home. Patti, who had celiac spru (a gluten intolerant disease) would never cook for us and that was just fine. We would fix for ourselves and if she allowed us, we would treat her to a dinner out at her favorite place where she knew she could eat safely. Patti was a fabulous person and lived a most interesting life. It was always a treat to stay with her and listen to all of her stories of her family and friendships that spanned decades. She talked about her friendship with Marilyn, a college friend and what it was like in the 50's and 60's.
We both went shopping when the gang left to go back home. We went to a new shopping center that opened near her home. She moved to Tucson back in the early 60's and lived in the same house. She used to be at the very edge of town and now the town has spread out. Her home had the most beautiful views at night. I miss her. I miss her stories and her spirit.
And now it seems as though my neighbor, Barbara has passed away. She died this morning of lung cancer. She quit smoking decades ago. Her daughter was here with her and her family had visited her this past weekend. Barbara's husband had died 9 months ago.
I have been blessed with women in my life who have taught me things that I should have known. Perhaps even things that my own mother should have taught me, but didn't know how to do.
I miss Patti and I will miss Barbara. GREAT women who are now at peace.
And so it goes..........


10 comments:
God bless you and your friends at this time...know we still live on....hugz~kbear
Sorry for the loss of your two friends, Anne.
~~Kath~~
And now those two wonderful women are shining, precious gems in your memory and in your heart. You can take them out whenever you wish and marvel at their beauty. Thank you for sharing them with us.
HONK
Russ
You pay lovely tribute to them. I really do believe with good friends, they live on as you do, they follow you at times, & guide you also. ~Mary
Anne
These women will live on in spirit through your wonderful memories of them. This was a lovely tribute to your friends. I am sorry for your loss but happy that you had the chance to know these beautifull women.
Sam
You have my sympathy at the loss of friends. One of the bad things about growing older, we have to say goodbye to more and more friends and relatives.
You had two very lovely friends there, Anne :). Friendship is one of our most valuable assets! You keep them alive with your wonderful memories.
xoxo
Wow.. what a beautiful lady.. She absolutely glows in this picture. It's amazing the things we learn from other women.. old and young. Sounds like you had a wonderful friend in Patti. I am so sorry for your loss.. both her and your neighbor.
What a heartfelt tribute you wrote about her.. I'm sure she would have been flattered beyong words..
:)
Jackie
I am so sorry. It hurts so much to lose friends. Margo
Both of my in-laws lived into their nineties. My "Papa-in-law" used to say that the steady stream of funerals depressed him (when he was in his 70's). By 90 there weren't many funerals to attend and that depressed him even more. I hope that your vivid and wonderful memories of these two dear women keep them alive in your heart for years to come. Paulette
Post a Comment