SHRIMP FORKS, BUTTER KNIVES AND ICED TEA SPOONS..............
Sometimes I feel as outdated as the above mentioned. Do I dare mention that I
even have hors'd'oerves (go on and challenge my spelling, who knows how to spell
this one) knives.
As these utensils seem to be outdated, there is a certain element of amélioration
and contentment that using these anachronized, albeit charming things, brings.
Making my own espresso and actually having a cup and saucer and spoon with my
demerara sugar cube is a small slice of heaven.
Iced tea spoons? Well, if you still make your own iced tea and actually are a
southerner, then an iced tea spoon is as essential today, as it was decades ago.
I only use my butter knives once or twice a year, but when I do, it's a special
feeling. Any knife will do, but to actually have a butter knife at a table is somehow
special.
Even paper plates have given way to Styrofoam plates. (major YUCK) Although I
feel like I am as outdated as a shrimp fork...........and by the way, I have 24 of
them, when you need one, they sure come in handy.
Shrimp fork anybody?

7 comments:
I have all of the mentioned flatware, and we have been looking for a new set, but we can't find one that has allllll the amenities! It's horrible! My husband uses the shrimp fork daily to pick out pickles, or eat mushrooms. We just want an everyday set, but I reckon those are few and far between.
~~Kath~~
I took a small child to a fast food place once & asked for a fork. The girl said: For what?
Uhm, I never thought I would have to defend my use of a fork. I like your way much better.
~Mary
Dang, I don't even know what shrimp forks look like. At this house there are forks, knives, and spoons. Oh yeah, and tablespoons.
Those shrimp forks have other uses as well, but for the life of me I can't think of a one of them right now! I feel very daring. I'm "tossing" some items prior to our move. From two large curio cabinets I managed to shed about four pieces of crystal, a couple of small doo-dads and TWO sets of little crystal salt dishes (6 each). Fared better in the kitchen, with a whole butt-load of excess pots, pans, bowls, etc going into the "Goodwill" box. I love my iced tea spoons, but durn, they have to be polished up again. I don't use them often enough to keep them pretty. Paulette
those styrofoam plates really do suck, don't they? I hate 'em!!
Russ
Gosh, I haven't had shrimp forks since -- since I don't remember. I do have butter knives and iced tea spoons. Rarely use the butter knife and, since we don't drink tea around here, those long-handled spoons are great for reaching the last of the cat and dog food from the bottom of the cans! Omigosh, did I actually write that? I'm so sorry. Forgive me? Can this be considered southern blasphemy? Oh, dear........
I'll admit it - - I'm as old-fashioned as a Mozart minuet.
I have butter knives and ice tea spoons. I also have an antique (1880) set of sea food forks. I don't know what the hell they are for, but I guess they could be used for shrimp. JON
Post a Comment