Saturday, April 16, 2005

Leaving The Land of Beige

It's time to leave Arizona and head back home to the land of OZ. The lush green of winter and the wildflowers of early spring have left and now everything is turning brown. There are a few wild flowers left and Luke, the wonder dog, came running back this morning dotted in yellow from the wildflowers he jumped in the middle of. He found something and he jumping about like he was only 1 or 2 instead of the 12 yrs. that he probably is...I say probably because we adpoted Luke from a shelter 6 yrs. ago on May 1st.

I visited my neighbors to tell them goodbye and give them extra food that I have left in my cupboards. Mr R. is going to be 89 on July 4th. He is a jewel. His wife is a retired school teacher. I told them it was time for me to leave because my allergies and Luke's were starting to act up. Mr and Mrs. R. now stay here year round and told me stories of last summers stay. Mrs. R. told me they found a big rattlesnake right in the front outside foyer. (YIKES) Mrs R. called the fire department and they came out and removed it. That is how is it done around here. After that story I am sure going to keep Luke on leed now. I said goodbye and was leaving when Mrs. R. said,"Yes, Anne, it was right down there by my 3 big pots that big fella was hiding." I said, "Oh my....OH MY!! Just like the one down there NOW?" She said, WHAT? I repeated myself as I moved back inside the house. Well, it didn't compare to the size of the one last year, but it was big enough for me. Mr. R. came back over to my house to borrow my snake snare. I saw him about 10 minutes later and asked him if he got it. Yes, he got it and it got away again. Time to go visit my other neighbor.

Rattlesnakes

Mr. M. was home, but his lovely wife was having her hair "fixed." He told me he thought it was broken, if she was getting it fixed! I told him about my visit with Mr. R.  Mr and Mrs. M. leave for Colorado in another month for the summer. Mr. R. told me that while they are gone in the summer, they have an 8 ft. black bull snake who suns himself on the rocks in his yard. <insert another YIKES here> Bull snakes eat rattlesnakes. (double yikes!) Somehow, pollen doesn't seem so bad, as I blow my nose and Luke sneezes. I know snakes are all part of nature, but that is one part I don't want to have a close encounter with.

I took Luke for his walk tonight. Moon is out and it was quiet in the ole neighborhood. I didn't see the owl I usually spy. I didn't hear the bird that usually sings during the night and I didn't see the gecko I ususally say hello to at the mailbox.

Yep, it's time to go home to OZ. If I had some red slippers it wouldn't take so long, but then I wouldn't have the fun of driving across this great country.

In the meantime, before I leave on Monday a.m. I am keeping all the doors and windows closed. No need to take chances, is there? Sure had a great time here this year. I got my batteries recharged.

There are people I need to go hug and tell them how much they are loved when I get home. It's going to be our 36th anniversary at the end of the month. It is going to be a great year and it's about time!          

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I'm sure you regret missing the ice storms we had here in Jan. (smirk), you'll be glad to know that we've been working here in OZ to get everything looking all pretty and Spring-like for your return.  Welcome back, Anne!!!!!    

Anonymous said...

Have a safe journey home!   ~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

Safe journey.  And I would totally freak out if a saw snake. I had a dream the other night about being bit by a snake, not that you mention them and jogged my memory.  Mr. R. sounds pretty peppy for 89!

Anonymous said...

Have a fun and safe drive home, Anne! I bet you will miss the sunsets behind Camelback. But green things will probably make up for some of that. I hope Luke the Wonder Dog does fine on the drive :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hope your move goes smoothly.  I have to say that although I like snakes, that would have scared the living daylights out of me.  Ahhh!
Tammy

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!  I'm so afraid of snakes that even reading about them gives me the heebie jeebies!  I'm sure you'll be glad to put plenty of distance between them and you!!  Here's wishing you a safe trip home. It would be great if you pass through my area on your way back and I had a chance to say hello!

Vivian

Anonymous said...

BIG snakes!!!!! Loved this entry and hope you have a safe and peaceful trip home. And Happy Anniversary to you both in advance.... I can't wait to meet your hubby. Big hugs today, judi

Anonymous said...

What a damned fine feel-good entry. I really enjoyed reading this one. I hope Oz is warm and welcoming upon your return.

Have a safe trip!

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Have a good trip!
Virginia

Anonymous said...

I hope to hear from you when you plug back in.

xoxoxo
andi

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty good looking snake, hope you had a telelens!  I much prefer to see snakes through two or three panes of glass at the zoo.  Have a fun and safe journey.  I look forward to seeing you online again very soon.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I hate snakes. Hate them. Even the harmless little garter (?) snakes. Your post was  warm and sweet, despite the snakes. : )
Candace
Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

oh.  oh.  oh.  oh.  SNAKE.  hate them.  hate them. ummm... did I mention I hate them?